Sponsored

Taking delivery of my 16 GT PP in the winter...how screwed am I gonna be?

lazarus870

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Looks like my car is almost ready to be delivered. Unfortunately the weather took a turn for the worse. I live in the Pacific Northwest (Vancouver, BC) with weather very similar to Seattle, WA. It doesn't get THAT cold but it sure does rain a lot in the winter time.
I kept hearing we're supposed to get a "warm, dry winter" but so far nothing, lol.

I have been looking at local parking spots on Craigslist to keep the car out of the rain but so far haven't found anything suitable (closeby ones are extremely tight and I fear another car will scrape me).

But what I'm mostly worried about is...will this car be a bitch to bring home from the dealership on those Pirelli P zeros? Assuming moderate rain and about 7 degree C (45 degree F) weather or perhaps 4 C (40 F) and sunny. Either way, not the most ideal time.
Should I avoid the temptation to take the car out too much while it's slippery and cold like that? Obviously no WOT runs for the next while or even very spirited driving. I kind of fear that I will go through my "break in" period mileage driving the car too gently and screw the engine's chance to break in.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

Gdyup50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
put it in snow/rain mode and just drive like a normal person and you will be fine

OP
OP
lazarus870

lazarus870

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP

Just be careful. And put some snow tires right away.
Thing is, I have a Toyota as my daily driver so I don't wanna put snow tires on the Mustang. I just wanna take it out every so often until the weather gets better. It usually doesn't take too long. By early february shit is back to normal.

Sponsored

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
soooooo...

Drive it on nice days....:)

smitty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT Auto, 13 Escape SEL
I just came home from work and entering 5 north from 520 I accelerated in 4th gear approximately 3/4 throttle at around 50mph... backend got loose on me and I have the Pirelli all seasons. It was about 44 degrees F and merely damp. I would be careful. Take it out on dry days (I know... not common) :cheers:

Btw, 235/50-18 is not enough tire for this car anyway.

SK GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT(sold), 17 1LE
Likely depends on your looks and maybe income but the car should definitely help

Dannyho

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium PP DIB
I took delivery of mine late December last year but had the dealer put winters on them before I even turned it on. Then took the summer tires back and stored them. Didn't cost me anything for the mounting.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Pick a good day to get it back? I mean you won't lose control just because tires are bit cold. I would avoid ice and snow tho.

Sponsored

blk_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CO 2015 GT PP
The mornings/nights here in Michigan have been getting to the low 40s and even high 30s. I have been holding out to put my winter tires on my 15 PP GT and have got caught in the rain a few times in 40ish degree weather (before windchill). Car felt fine and I had no issues with highway/city driving. I was a bit nervous and therefore just drove accordingly. On the dry mornings like today (46 and sunny) I let everything warm up, then throw it in sport mode and drive it like normal (WOT accelerations whenever traffic allows it and on/off ramps) with no real issues. Just use common sense and I'm sure youll be fine! The only thing I'd worry about is the ice/snow.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Remember, people drive RWD in the land of endless winter (Canada)

You're not screwed as long as you're sensible
I drive my SUV mostly in RWD. Unless I am stuck then I throw it in 4WD.
I drive it in 10 in snow on all seasons no problem.