Sponsored

Supercharger belt science & the gates new RPM belt...

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Been reading alot about supercharger belts ever since i got my new ProCharger D1x. I upgraded the belt that comes with my kit to a Gates Hd green belt and I'm happy with its performance. Then i read about their new rpm belt and i ordered one yesterday here is the info that convinced me to get one:

Rpm belts are a new belt designed for superchargers. Here is a direct quote from gates.

RPM (Racing, Performance, Muscle) is a new, no compromise belt built specifically for supercharged applications.

Whereas 99% of all belts on the market today use a polyester tensile cord, the RPM series uses an aramid tensile cord. This is the same fiber found in bulletproof vests and is 10x stronger than steel and 5x less elastic than polyester. When polyester heats up (which it does even from normal use) it will stretch out. As you can imagine, when that belt stretches out you experience belt slip and boost loss. Eventually the elastic properties of the polyester will fail and the belt that was once 100” will stretch to 100.25”, at which point the tensioner can no longer compensate for the stretch and generally results in belt failure.

Due to the strength and minimal elasticity of aramid fiber, the RPM series of belts will not stretch which allows the belt to maintain its true length throughout its service life. This results in more consistent boost and in some instances, users have reported a 1-2psi increase merely from switching from HD belts to RPM belts. We actually have some user submitted under hood video on our Instagram page (GatesRPM) that clearly demonstrates the difference between polyester and aramid corded belts.

Another main benefit of the RPM line is the use of two layers of adhesion gum. These layers create a sandwich around the tensile cords which transfers the load to the strongest part of the belt; the jacket (or smooth backside of the belt). FleetRunner HD belts got a reputation for strength because they use one layer of adhesion gum, standard micro-v belts forgo any adhesion gum.

RPM belts also utilize a patented rubber compound with the highest coefficient of friction available and are built in common OE supercharger sizes as well as many sizes used with aftermarket setups. The RPM line has expanded to 299 part numbers with new numbers being added every quarter.
Sponsored

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
I wonder if this increased traction is harder on the head unit? I also heard these belts snap if not tensioned properly.

OP
OP
Dominant1

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I haven’t heard anything about these belts snapping, they haven't been out that long. Dont see how a belt built from this material could snap, but I understand what your implying, something has got to give... only way to know is to buy one and mount it. Mine will be here Wednesday!

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP
Yes, they are known to snap under normal tensioning...they need to be adjusted differently. There was a thread posted the other day about this from svtp.

2-tone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 mustang gt m6
I haven’t heard anything about these belts snapping, they haven't been out that long. Dont see how a belt built from this material could snap, but I understand what your implying, something has got to give... only way to know is to buy one and mount it. Mine will be here Wednesday!
I snapped 4. I believe they are less forgiving than the green. Your alignment and tensioner needs to be exactly right or they won't last long.

Sponsored

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
the thing I read was where on most PD blowers you want about 80% on your tensioner with the RPM due to the material and the fact they dont stretch you only want about 20%

OP
OP
Dominant1

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
the thing I read was where on most PD blowers you want about 80% on your tensioner with the RPM due to the material and the fact they dont stretch you only want about 20%
What about centrifical set ups?

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP
What about centrifical set ups?
Doesn’t matter what setup it is. A belt is a belt. The rpm belts don’t give like the normal belts. People run them with normal tensionand end up snapping them. I’ll be sticking to normal belts and more belt give.

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
So if you dont have a manual adjuster in your setup as well as the auto adjuster I would say if you want RPM you may need to go a bit longer on the belt

Sponsored

racingmason

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
I have one and my tensioner is nearly maxed. I'd say 80 to 85%. I'm one size smaller than KB recommends for a 3.325. Are you saying i need to go bigger to take some stress off the belt?

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
If you are running the RPM belt there was another thread where gates and whipple both said run the tensioner at 20%

cobra99dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I have snapped 2 of them on my KB setup. They were tensioned pretty tight probably 80-90%. I went back to regular gates belts and never had a problem since.

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
I have snapped 2 of them on my KB setup. They were tensioned pretty tight probably 80-90%. I went back to regular gates belts and never had a problem since.
From what gates says that is your problem. They don’t stretch so you don’t want that level of tension on them. The reason for high tension is to account for belt stretch.
Sponsored