Can We Talk About the V6?

robb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Nothing wrong with 300hp! Use x-plan to get that price as low as possible.
Sponsored

soon2be

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
soon ecoboostPP
For 2015 Ford redesigned the upper intake manifold on the V6. They said it was to allow the intake to clear the new lower hood. Because of this redesign though it seems like the 6 gained more on low end power. This lead people to believe that the upper intake manifold was the reason for the 5hp drop in power up top. I believe that the new intake is actually much more efficient the the previous and that our V6 is capable of higher hp with just some simple mods to reduce restrictions like CAI and exhaust.
Thanks for the updating! Are tunes required when upgrading CAI and exhuast on the V6?

Do we know if the internals of the v6 remain the same as last gens 13-14?

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Thanks for the updating! Are tunes required when upgrading CAI and exhuast on the V6?

Do we know if the internals of the v6 remain the same as last gens 13-14?
The 15's moved from a MAF sensor to a MAP sensor with the redesigned intake. That means pretty much ANY bolt on modification short of a cam swap will NOT require a computer retune. MAP measures manifold pressure and will not be effected by bolt ons like MAF sensor based systems are.

As far as internals... The only thing that has changed on the 15's is the upper intake. Block, internals, exhaust manifolds, etc... are the same as the outgoing 13-14.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
Exhaust upgrades are not on my list. While nothing will match the sweet roar of a GT, the V6 has a pretty nice growl all it's own; I am happy to leave that part as it is.
[ame]

That exhaust is BEAST for the V6. That sounds near a V8 for the initial rumble/idle

Bay1Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic '15 V6 051a

That exhaust is BEAST for the V6. That sounds near a V8 for the initial rumble/idle
Yeah that exhaust sounds awesome but we need more vids/clips of it!

Sponsored

soon2be

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
soon ecoboostPP
The 15's moved from a MAF sensor to a MAP sensor with the redesigned intake. That means pretty much ANY bolt on modification short of a cam swap will NOT require a computer retune. MAP measures manifold pressure and will not be effected by bolt ons like MAF sensor based systems are.

As far as internals... The only thing that has changed on the 15's is the upper intake. Block, internals, exhaust manifolds, etc... are the same as the outgoing 13-14.
thanks for the info! :cheers:

MagneticA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Manual v6 Mustang
Just a few follow up points. To me, having the V8 isn't about going "faster." If I want to go faster, in any car, I push my right foot down and I go faster. If anything, the V8 is about going faster faster, quicker.

You can only go faster until you run into the car in front of you or you reach the speed limit or the Po stops you, which will happen faster. If you go faster after that, you won't be going faster longer or you'll be going faster into the calaboose.

But that isn't really it either. TO me, the V8 is more about realizing the potential of the car and what it was designed for. And it's also about the perception of freedom and of trying to reclaim or remember some of the freedom that seems to be mysteriously disappearing faster around here. Mustang was designed as a muscle/pony car. Mustang may be nearly the best muscle/pony car available per $ these days, but I don't think it is the best modern coupe per $ necessarily.

Which brings up the further question, to me anyway, which is preferable from a $ standpoint, if one finds the new V8 too doshy, the new 'stang w/V6 or last gen 'stang w/V8? Both are around $24K.
'15 v6
Like I've said before, it's one sweet drive. But then it even steps up another level when compared to the previous generation, even when looking at the v8. Why? Simply because of the upgrades they've made...IRS, Nicer Interior, Fastback, did I mention the interior?? And if it's a daily driver it's much easier on the mind parking at the grocery store, at work, etc. knowing you only dropped $24K and still got an amazingly beautiful car. But with that said, if you're the type who likes to strut his stuff, you'll never be happy with anything less than a v8.

soon2be

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
soon ecoboostPP
'15 v6
Like I've said before, it's one sweet drive. But then it even steps up another level when compared to the previous generation, even when looking at the v8. Why? Simply because of the upgrades they've made...IRS, Nicer Interior, Fastback, did I mention the interior?? And if it's a daily driver it's much easier on the mind parking at the grocery store, at work, etc. knowing you only dropped $24K and still got an amazingly beautiful car. But with that said, if you're the type who likes to strut his stuff, you'll never be happy with anything less than a v8.
Well said!

I am consistently going back and forth between ecoboost, 6, and v8. However, the V8 seems more unlikely even though I would much rather have it. Between sticker price, fuel, mortgage, house maintenance and other expenses, I can't bring myself to spend 31k on something I will beat on.

Like I said in my previous post, I am looking for a "raw" feeling in cars. I actually like the way raw cars drive and feel (steering feel, ride height, suspension stiffness/tight, wheels/tires). I believe, with the 6, the right combination of light mods and focus on dropping some weight, the v6 has the potential to be a phenomenal driving car.

What doe you guys think?

Once again my internal debate continues to rage...:headbonk:

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
Well said!

I am consistently going back and forth between ecoboost, 6, and v8. However, the V8 seems more unlikely even though I would much rather have it. Between sticker price, fuel, mortgage, house maintenance and other expenses, I can't bring myself to spend 31k on something I will beat on.

Like I said in my previous post, I am looking for a "raw" feeling in cars. I actually like the way raw cars drive and feel (steering feel, ride height, suspension stiffness/tight, wheels/tires). I believe, with the 6, the right combination of light mods and focus on dropping some weight, the v6 has the potential to be a phenomenal driving car.

What doe you guys think?

Once again my internal debate continues to rage...:headbonk:
Go drive them. You will never be able to decide how you like how a car behaves, drives, etc without a test drive.

However, the V6 aftermarket is pretty dry at the moment. I don't believe there are even any tunes available, and haven't seen any posts by a tuner company.

Zeenobit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Mustang 3.7L V6
To people saying the V6 wheels suck:

Compared to the wheels offered on GT and EcoBoost, the wheels that come with the 051A Package on the V6 are the best looking, in my opinion. These ones:

I love the look of these wheels. They scream simplicity, functionality, and raw power. I would've purchased these wheels if I got a GT or EcoBoost too. Much much better than the alternative styles.

Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Go drive them. You will never be able to decide how you like how a car behaves, drives, etc without a test drive.

However, the V6 aftermarket is pretty dry at the moment. I don't believe there are even any tunes available, and haven't seen any posts by a tuner company.
According to AM we are still 30-90 days way from a tune from SCT or BAMA.... Airaid has one CAI up... Beyond that it all we have are carry over parts from the 11-14... BBK is suppose to be working on a catback and mid pipes... But your answer is correct... I am really disappointed in the lack of aftermarket support thus far.

mizer67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, please
Is it possible to get the V6's throttle mapping to change, like on the premium equipped cars, through factory or aftermarket additions at this time?

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
To people saying the V6 wheels suck:

Compared to the wheels offered on GT and EcoBoost, the wheels that come with the 051A Package on the V6 are the best looking, in my opinion. These ones:

I love the look of these wheels. They scream simplicity, functionality, and raw power. I would've purchased these wheels if I got a GT or EcoBoost too. Much much better than the alternative styles.
I totally agree! I love these wheels and can't wait til mine comes home. This car is really everything I want in the immdiate and with the aftermarket, I'll be able to upgrade the interior, some exterior mods , sound upgrades as my wallet allows. I had V8 "Stangs" back in the late 80's-90's and at this point in my life a V6 with 300HP is more than enough to increase my testosterone levels lol. Look at all the pics of the V6's on here. Simple, taught lines, wheels filling the wells nicely, sitting low and a great interior. The fact it looks like the GT just makes it all the more interesting. In my opinion this is one of the most interesting and attractive designs out there on the market at up to several times the price.

4cars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
This is an interesting thread. I love the V-8 6spd 50th pkg that I bought. The engine trans combo and the feeling of driving the car thru the gears is really enjoyable. The problem is, it isn't really fitting in well with the family. My wife is scared to drive it and my son (unbelievably) doesn't care for the stick shift. I certainly cant let him take it to college. With the crap weather in the NE, the car sits in the garage covered. If I had to do it over again.... I'd probably go V-6 with auto trans and do some cosmetic mods. I've never been a spontaneous buyer and keep my cars at least 5 years, but I may have to bite the bullet on this one.

Ugly John

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT PP
This is an interesting thread. I love the V-8 6spd 50th pkg that I bought. The engine trans combo and the feeling of driving the car thru the gears is really enjoyable. The problem is, it isn't really fitting in well with the family. My wife is scared to drive it and my son (unbelievably) doesn't care for the stick shift. I certainly cant let him take it to college. With the crap weather in the NE, the car sits in the garage covered. If I had to do it over again.... I'd probably go V-6 with auto trans and do some cosmetic mods. I've never been a spontaneous buyer and keep my cars at least 5 years, but I may have to bite the bullet on this one.
I love my V6 auto, but I guess I could (out of the kindness of my heart) trade you straight up for your V8 manual...

:)
Sponsored