Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thebandpetroleum.com
First Name
Braden
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GT/PP
I haven't tried this yet, but I think I will. Does anyone make a softer spring, something that would assist, but not pull back so hard?

Also, did the 2012 GT500 have this assist spring? The clutch feel and engagement was pretty good, didn't feel like the S550.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Ayatollah Humungous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP
I haven't tried this yet, but I think I will. Does anyone make a softer spring, something that would assist, but not pull back so hard?

Also, did the 2012 GT500 have this assist spring? The clutch feel and engagement was pretty good, didn't feel like the S550.
I am almost positive it did.

I was wondering about the softer spring myself.

An added bit of information to this is that my spring was super stiff for the first 1500 miles and then decided to be a little softer literally over night. It still causes issues in driving smoothness, but at least its getting better. I am unclear if it will continue to break-in or if it has reached its weakest point.

For you guys with brand new cars it might behoove you to wait a bit and decide if you still want to do it.

Rv-Junke

Rv-Junke
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2021 Black GT - PP
My 2014 GT500, has spring but it's a much better feel. Much stiffer and grabs with 1" of initial depression, so very high grab. To me this clutch is very soft, and grabs way to low, almost to the floor. I may try this spring remove to see if that helps.

Ruby305GT

Work hard, play harder.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 premium GT
My 2014 GT500, has spring but it's a much better feel. Much stiffer and grabs with 1" of initial depression, so very high grab. To me this clutch is very soft, and grabs way to low, almost to the floor. I may try this spring remove to see if that helps.

In my experience the clutch for the GT engaged/disengaged high, about an inch in just like your GT500. The complaint was how soft the pedal was, at least for me. This leads to the assist spring removal being the fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fionic

spaghettios and cheerios
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
I pulled my clutch assist spring today. Be careful when you pull it out as there are two plastic tabs on either side of the top and I managed to break one off. It'll probably still go back on fine if I decide to put it back on, just a word of caution.

I do highly recommend this mod. This is my first stick shift car, so it's hard to give a comparison to other cars, but I've noticed the clutch definitely feels more linear regarding the amount of pressure needed. Before, it was difficult to smoothly let up on the clutch pedal as the amount of force required to maintain the pedal stationary increased sharply right around the clutch engagement point. This would lead to the clutch pedal wanting to jump up and made the 1-2 shift rough unless I took it very slow.

Now, the pedal travel is more consistent which makes it easier to make the 1-2 shift smooth and makes smooth downshifting a lot easier. I've hardly noticed any increase in effort required to push the clutch in. There is a slight amount of play at the very top of the travel, but I wouldn't call it spongy as I've seen some people complain of and it's not something I would notice unless I was specifically looking for it, and only then while testing out the clutch with the car off. While driving, the only overall difference I've noticed is a more consistent, linear feel when letting the clutch out.

iiiinteresting. I think I'll try this weekend. My 1-2 is very rough in lower RPM if I don't (VERY SLOWLY) let the clutch out.

Sponsored

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
Honestly this is the single best free mod you can do imo. The 1 2 shift is so much smoother now, same goes for just starting off from a stop. I always wondered went I thought the clutch felt weird and this is why

Ruby305GT

Work hard, play harder.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 premium GT
Honestly this is the single best free mod you can do imo. The 1 2 shift is so much smoother now, same goes for just starting off from a stop. I always wondered went I thought the clutch felt weird and this is why
Might be a silly question, but does it help with the "thud"

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
No lol, but I believe the thud is a non issue. At least in regards to reliability. Hopefully the white line bushing will help with that

OP
OP

Ayatollah Humungous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP
Just took mine out. I may or may not have snapped off an ear :shrug:

Just after a trip around the block I can say I like it, but will need a few days to make the decision on if it stays that way or I put the spring back in. It is much more linear and feels much better. The amount of pressure did increase by a margin I might have trouble with if I am in traffic. We will just wait and see how it goes.

In the meantime I will probably look for a spring with the same dimensions but different rigidity and see if I can reinstall something that will be a step between no spring and too much spring.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Just took mine out. I may or may not have snapped off an ear :shrug:

Just after a trip around the block I can say I like it, but will need a few days to make the decision on if it stays that way or I put the spring back in. It is much more linear and feels much better. The amount of pressure did increase by a margin I might have trouble with if I am in traffic. We will just wait and see how it goes.

In the meantime I will probably look for a spring with the same dimensions but different rigidity and see if I can reinstall something that will be a step between no spring and too much spring.

It took a few days before I felt like it was a wise choice to remove the spring. Now that it's been gone for nearly a year I can't even imagine putting the spring back in. I commute almost exclusively in heavy traffic and it isn't a problem.

Sponsored

rcb020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
So this is easily reversible I assume if you don't like the results?

OP
OP

Ayatollah Humungous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP
Give it a few days to a week before changing your mind though.
Agreed. I just drove around with my girlfriend looking at Christmas lights. The seat time is making this mod a lot better. The start and stop was constant for about half an hour and the stiffer clutch didn't produce any excess leg strain.

I think after another day or two I will like this a lot.

D3adch1ld

Blabber Mouth
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marcos
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT Premum w/ Performance Pack
No lol, but I believe the thud is a non issue. At least in regards to reliability. Hopefully the white line bushing will help with that
You are correct, the 'thud' is inherent of RWD platforms. Press the clutch for 2 secs before engaging 1st and no more 'Thud'.

Jason29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500, 2012 Boss 302 Silver Laguna Seca
Any chance someone could make a quick video of how to remove the spring for us less technically savvy folks? Would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
Sponsored