OP
astolt12

astolt12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black GT PP
Update:

After the engine tear down everything checked out normal...cam shaft, pistons, metal ppm in the oil, all the test ford would approve.

the guys at the local dealership, Hardy Family Ford here in Dallas, GA did an outstanding job pushing ford, and i cannot thank them enough for their tenacity in the ordeal but in the end the car checked out normal according to Ford.

So they put her back together and called me up - broke the bad news that they didn't find or fix anything but the sound was not there when I took it home and i couldn't replicate it at all. Sweet!

As I drove her over the past 3 weeks I occasionally heard a slap or a tick on a warm start with the AC on but it lasted one repetition and went away, something I talked myself into that I could live with. Fast forward to this past week and the tick is back just like before and along with it is that weird puffing sound.

According to Ford these engines have less than 0.5% failure rate, so because of their statistical superiority it deems this an impossible failure.

What has me is it was fixed, quiet and amazing but after driving it has fallen to the wayside? I finally bought an exhaust thinking it was behind me, but now that exhaust will just have to sit in the garage. I am currently awaiting for the BBB to deliver the packet to me as my patience has run dry and i've offically reached out to them.

heres to hoping the little guy gets heard :cheers:

Any advice is greatly appreciated guys.
Sponsored

Ruby305GT

Work hard, play harder.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 premium GT
Update:

After the engine tear down everything checked out normal...cam shaft, pistons, metal ppm in the oil, all the test ford would approve.

the guys at the local dealership, Hardy Family Ford here in Dallas, GA did an outstanding job pushing ford, and i cannot thank them enough for their tenacity in the ordeal but in the end the car checked out normal according to Ford.

So they put her back together and called me up - broke the bad news that they didn't find or fix anything but the sound was not there when I took it home and i couldn't replicate it at all. Sweet!

As I drove her over the past 3 weeks I occasionally heard a slap or a tick on a warm start with the AC on but it lasted one repetition and went away, something I talked myself into that I could live with. Fast forward to this past week and the tick is back just like before and along with it is that weird puffing sound.

According to Ford these engines have less than 0.5% failure rate, so because of their statistical superiority it deems this an impossible failure.

What has me is it was fixed, quiet and amazing but after driving it has fallen to the wayside? I finally bought an exhaust thinking it was behind me, but now that exhaust will just have to sit in the garage. I am currently awaiting for the BBB to deliver the packet to me as my patience has run dry and i've offically reached out to them.

Was it in more than 30 days out of service (meaning at dealer). Has it been in and out for the same issue at least three times? Check the lemon law in your state and see what the qualifying circumstances are. I hear every state is a bit different some way or another.

Why I lost my confidence in Ford

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21895

2013GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
Update:

A friend of mine is very good with statistics, so I'll check, but to me, .5% failure for the engine is pretty high. That's one in 200 motors fails. Three sigma engineering isn't six sigma.

I will admit we have to wonder if that .5% figure takes into account variables like the driver and any abuse or mistakes they may have made to influence the engine's failure.

OP
OP
astolt12

astolt12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black GT PP
Was it in more than 30 days out of service (meaning at dealer). Has it been in and out for the same issue at least three times? Check the lemon law in your state and see what the qualifying circumstances are. I hear every state is a bit different some way or another.
Its been in the shop for darn near a cumulative 30 days for the ordeal, and has been into 5 separte shops where they all deemed it normal, the only one getting anywhere but still limited by ford was the last one.

I qualify for the lemon law in my eyes but the wildcard is Ford deems this normal. Speaking with one of the dealerships before going to Hardy they specifically told me off the record that it wasn't right, and that they HAD to deem it normal.

Their suggestion - drive the hell out of it and hope it breaks/throws a CEL.

not really interested in potentially voiding any warranty for driving "beyond the limits of the car" so i've just continued as is hoping something breaks under my normal, daily driving style with light spirited driving.

Now its just aggravating and I hate sitting in this car. So its time to take some more action. I might even see if Ford will trade me in for another one if the numbers are right to take advantage of their 2015 year end deal.

Ruby305GT

Work hard, play harder.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 premium GT
Its been in the shop for darn near a cumulative 30 days for the ordeal, and has been into 5 separte shops where they all deemed it normal, the only one getting anywhere but still limited by ford was the last one.

I qualify for the lemon law in my eyes but the wildcard is Ford deems this normal. Speaking with one of the dealerships before going to Hardy they specifically told me off the record that it wasn't right, and that they HAD to deem it normal.

not really interested in potentially voiding any warranty for driving "beyond the limits of the car" so i've just continued as is hoping something breaks under my normal, daily driving style with light spirited driving.

Drive the car like a mustang, mine was a track package and I drove it as so, safely of course. The car is advertised as a sports car, it's not meant to be "babied". The BBQ tick seems to be a regular occurrence with the engine, there are many F150 coyotes and 11-14 Ponies with the same issue racking up miles. That's what you signed up for :)

Sponsored

2013GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT

We bought these cars to enjoy them. Ford suggesting you need to treat it like a Toyota Avalon or you void the warranty is disgusting. You plopped down 30-40k on a car you expected was a rival to an e92 M3, not a brute made of glass.

Drive the car like a mustang, mine was a track package and I drove it as so, safely of course. The car is advertised as a sports car, it's not meant to be "babied". The BBQ tick seems to be a regular occurrence with the engine, there are many F150 coyotes and 11-14 Ponies with the same issue racking up miles. That's what you signed up for :)

So will you be buying a new '15 or '16 GT to replace your old one?

Maistroyoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Premium
TRY THIS!!

Hey Astolt, I had mentioned previously that my 2011 F350 powerstroke has the tick for about 1000 miles after an oil change. I know, completely different engine, but the tick sounds exactly the same. Dealer said that its normal and didn't do anything. I was and still am very disappointed but apparently it's a common issue on the new powerstrokes. I read about a guy who had the tick on his truck and the noise went away after he took out about a quart of oil on a new oil change. My truck was due for an oil change so I changed it about two weeks ago. Instead of putting in the usual 12 quarts of synthetic, I tried 11 just for shits n giggles. I didn't turn on the truck for 2 days after the oil change, not sure if that matters, but NO TICK! I took it on a 1300 mile round trip and NO tick period! So one of two things: either the one less quart did the trick or, the noise magically went away after 47000 miles on the truck. My money's on the -1 quart. Again, completely different engine but it's gone. It wouldn't hurt for you to try. If my GT had the tick I'd try that first. Sorry for the novel, just excited about my now tick-less 60k truck!

You really should try this. It worked for me and it wouldn't hurt you to try. If it works, you owe me a cold one.

2013GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
You really should try this. It worked for me and it wouldn't hurt you to try. If it works, you owe me a cold one.
I have read so many threads on the ticking that their contents all start to meld together, but somewhere someone claimed a tech friend of theirs avers that these engines don't like the full 8 quarts, that 7.7 quarts makes the engine run happy and stop ticking. Another poster told me his engine seemed to stop ticking once it burned off half a quart of the 8 quart fill, so that he thought that filling it with 7.5 quarts from the beginning might work. I found it did not really make a difference. No matter what my engine would tick for 1000 miles or so depending on the oil used. Still worth a shot since your mileage may vary. I recommend giving redline 5w20 a shot, my engine ran much better on it, ticking less, and less severely, and for a shorter time.

Ruby305GT

Work hard, play harder.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 premium GT
Fill it 7.5 quarts, better 7.65, so when it burns it ticks less, add a dash of unicorn blood and a 4 leaf clover, count to 10 slowly but only if stopping at 100 while drinking a beer from your right hand... Come on, when has changing the oil to specified levels turned into rocket science in order to avoid a tick. Ridiculous....

Sponsored
OP
OP
astolt12

astolt12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black GT PP
Fill it 7.5 quarts, better 7.65, so when it burns it ticks less, add a dash of unicorn blood and a 4 leaf clover, count to 10 slowly but only if stopping at 100 while drinking a beer from your right hand... Come on, when has changing the oil to specified levels turned into rocket science in order to avoid a tick. Ridiculous....

the oil level is currently at the top of the range after receiving it back from the last dealer. Nothing has changed on that from when it was quiet to now.

I was hoping that was the case that THIS engine needed to be filled to the brink, as I always run dead in the middle.

Im not sure if it had a full oil change or just a partial. Remains 5w-20 Syn blend.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
This Coyote ticking issue is the most bizarre thing I've ever came across. Nobody really knows what causes it, and not all of them do it.

I still think some engines are just more sensitive to the thinner 5W-20 oil. Seems a few guys who ran 5W-30 seemed to eliminate the ticking. But again, there has been many strange claims of what might cure the tick.

OP
OP
astolt12

astolt12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black GT PP
This Coyote ticking issue is the most bizarre thing I've ever came across. Nobody really knows what causes it, and not all of them do it.

I still think some engines are just more sensitive to the thinner 5W-20 oil. Seems a few guys who ran 5W-30 seemed to eliminate the ticking. But again, there has been many strange claims of what might cure the tick.
Agreed.

Today I had no problems with the way the idle sounded or tick/slapping on warm restarts. it was like the car was the day i bought it.

I am beginning to wonder if it has something to do with an electronic sensor or something PCM related. Sometimes it sounds like garbage, while other days its perfect.

Is it possible that something in the cam shaft timing gets thrown off and is causing the error? How do we check that?

OP
OP
astolt12

astolt12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black GT PP
[FONT=&quot]All,

So a seriously positive update and and potential ANSWER to the dreaded mustang "BBQ Tick." Forgive me for this will be a long one.

I want to stress to every Ford customer service rep here and anyone at the company that what I had to go through to get to this point was completely unacceptable and something fundamentally needs to change with how you handle such customer complaints/concerns. After filing with the BBB and sending countless letters to Ford I finally arrived at my "final repair attempt." In Georgia, you have to give them one more chance to listen and apparently it's the only one that matters.

Ford's dispute resolution department quickly contacted me and set up an appointment for me to come in and converse with their local field engineer in NW Georgia. Total time from mailing to appointment? About 10 days. Other points of contacts went months between hearing from Ford and dealerships were quick to step down from the challenge or throw "its normal" at my concern.

I took the car into the dealership and was able to directly interact with the field engineer, a really down to earth and humble guy who also drove a black S5500 PP. After hearing the sound he instantly knew it from the 6.7 power strokes but said he had never heard it on a Musstang. I was given a few options such as adding the lucrative XL-17 or carbon powder to thicken the oil which I politely passed on. I wanted it mechanically fixed which he was very receptive of and understandable.

They kept it for the rest of the day and just received a call that the sound is allegedly caused by cavitation of oil between the crank and block. The "ticking" sounds are actually the air bubbles being displaced by the rotation of the internals; slightly different than the belief of hydraulic lifter failure. Reasoning for this is that each part of the engine has some tolerance and although it may meet spec at the component level it is very "loose" at the manufacturing level when assembled. For example, in my industry two components which have a 0.003" tolerance by themselves may meet spec. When those two are assembled together the total tolerance can be 0.006. This compounds based on the amount of components and layers of assembly. Overall the engine has a tolerance but perhaps they need to be roped in; without the prints I can only take an educated guess.

From there i was given a few options - drive it until it goes away or replace the entire engine; I went with the latter.

A new engine is on order and should be here in two weeks; thank god - I might be able to put this all behind me an actually enjoy the car I paid high dollar for. I will be leaving my BBB case open until I am fully satisfied with the new engine install and overall performance of the car. If there is anything wrong with this I will be demanding a new vehicle.

For those of you with troubles on your S550s from door alignments out to similar engine sounds - don't stop and levy the BBB when able. It seems to be the only way this company which I had the utmost respect for will ever listen to you without a catastrophic failure on the vehicle.

It will take a long time and a lot of positive interactions from Ford to rebuild my trust and future sales. I hope someone very high up, possibly even Mark Fields, sees this post and understands this is not how you treat your customers.

Best of luck all.
:cheers:
[/FONT]

PonyGrrrl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeanne
Vehicle(s)
16 Cadillac ATS V Coupe
Since Mark Fields took over customer service took a big hit! I had an issue with my 06 Mustang, the dreaded bubbling paint on the hood. The car had low mileage and was 2 years old when the problem started. There was absolutely no problem with having it repaired under warranty, zero resistance from the dealer and Ford. I never had a day of trouble with that car. Only repairs it needed in 9 years 39k miles were battery and an alternator.

I special ordered a 2015 EcoBoost thinking that if I had an issues the warranty would cover it. Ford had a different idea, every problem and/or issue is considered "normal and within tolerance" because all of the 2015s on the dealer's lot did the same thing so it's "designed that way"! Say WHAT? I don't think so! I had to fight to get repair attempts to be able to file with the BBB. I had to go to arbitration to force Ford to even look at the car! In the end I won, but I had to fight and get aggravated over it for 6 months!

That being said, Ford doesn't care about quality or customers. Stealership service departments are abysmal and they lack basic customer service skills, to say the least. I hate Ford as a company but I love Mustangs, sucks for me. I'm currently waiting for my replacement vehicle to be delivered next week and hope to put this mess behind me.

I agree with the above poster and everyone should file with the BBB to get their issues resolved!

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk
Sponsored