Sponsored

OEM Differential Oil Cooler Install

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Just as an FYI for you folks- I will, time permitting, compare the PCM as-built data for my Tech with the VIN [MENTION=18007]mattlqx[/MENTION] provided for the Track.

I'm hoping to keep it 'simple' and not get into the four way comparison as described above..

My goal will be to identify changes in addresses that might help pinpoint the fields where the differential data/controls are.
So it took awhile but I was able to check the As-Built data for my Tech and compare it to the VIN Matt provided. For what it's worth, this is what I came up with.

From the top, the two different VINS had different:
"Tear Tags" - Tech was TRS7 & Track was SBH6
"Vehicle Data" - Tech was 16F0 FFFF FF03 & Track was 16F2 FFFF FF05

Of the nine PCM Modules listed for both, the only difference was PCM 4:
Tech was FFFF 2F14 2176 & Track was FFFF 2F12 2174

All other data was grouped under the general heading of "BCE Modules". I copied all addresses and instructions into Microsoft Excel spreadsheets and compared the Tech to the Track and the Track to the Tech. I weeded out similar addresses and values and compiled the same addresses with different values on the spreadsheet posted below. I also compiled different addresses for the Tech and Track and a couple of similar addresses with the same instructions for known values. I put known functions, from the Forscan document, on the right of the appropriate addresses.

I hope this might be helpful...:cheers:
Sponsored

Attachments

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
I would say no...
Because the Tech Pack supports the heated and cooled GT seats.
The Track Pack didn't come with those in 2016...

Since the Tech Pack harness doesn't seem to support the Track Pack diff cooler, then I doubt that the Track Pack harness would support the seats that didn't come with it.

Does that make sense?
:)

Kirby
Crap, logic strikes again..it does make sense. Thanks Kirby.:frusty:

Edit: new day, new thought (feel free to bring out the 'beating a dead horse" icon..)
Could a '17 main harness allow for an OEM-type diff cooler install?

Last edited:
OP
OP
kgschrader

kgschrader

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.spacecitypanteras.com
First Name
Kirby
Vehicle(s)
20 GT350R LR217, 2017 Raptor, 20 720S, 71 Pantera
Bump.
For recent discussion in the trans cooler thread...
Which discussion was that?

I haven't had as much time as I thought I would. Status is as follows:

Both Track Pack rear harnesses received. Back one installed.
Pretty easy and i finally took the tape off the diff cooler pump plug and a real plug and harness pigtail is plugged in.
The other harness came much later, after getting the number from Voodoo.
Heading out to the garage now to try and install it.

This all may be a moot point if the Tech Pack main harness does not support it.

I finished my transmission cooler. As indicated, all stock components.
I used a Weldon 9300a pump connected to the drain and fill ports of the transmission.
I mounted the thermostatic switch on the side of the transmission.
Ran a wire from the battery terminals via a fuse and followed the existing wiring harness.
It all works, but no chance to actually see if it works 'in real life' due to cold temperatures.

I just passed 20,000 miles on the car. It had its first birthday last week.

More information when I have it.

Kirby

Sponsored

OP
OP
kgschrader

kgschrader

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.spacecitypanteras.com
First Name
Kirby
Vehicle(s)
20 GT350R LR217, 2017 Raptor, 20 720S, 71 Pantera

Pretty easy and i finally took the tape off the diff cooler pump plug and a real plug and harness pigtail is plugged in.

I used a Weldon 9300a pump connected to the drain and fill ports of the transmission.
Ran a wire from the battery terminals via a fuse and followed the existing wiring harness.
It all works, but no chance to actually see if it works 'in real life' due to cold temperatures.

Kirby
OK, answering the above.

Both Track Pack harnesses installed.
All suspicions and thoughts, etc. confirmed.

Even though I do have the Axle Temp enabled in the dash display, with the Track Pack harness plugged in and the differential temperature sensor plugged in, I still have straight lines for the temperature. i.e., there is no signal.

This confirms that the Tech Pack main harness supports neither the diff pump nor the diff temp sensor. As mentioned, replacing the Tech Pack harness with a Track Pack harness has other issues. I'm sure they don't support the GT 6 way seats in the track pack.
Not only would it cost right around $500 for the harness, you'd have to spend a lot of time taking out the old one and installing the new one even if it did work.

The only possibility I can think of is a 2017 Tech pack harness possibly working since you can get the Tech Pack with the seats and the coolers.

All that diff harness, cooler and pump sure looks pretty back there though.... Sigh...

My next plan, after the New Year, is to check and see if the diff pump at least has power to it. If not (and I doubt it), I'll continue the wire I have for the trans pump back to the diff pump and then hook both the temp sensor and diff pump up to a PWM board that needs to handle the pump amperage.
I won't be able to monitor the temperature, but at least it would cool the differential.

To do that, I'll have to hack into the nice new harnesses to hook that all up. Need to plan mounting place for PWM board, etc. etc.

I hope this puts the whole discussion to bed. You can buy all the stuff, but it isn't just plug and play.

FWIW,
Kirby

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853

Kirby
Hey Kirby,
There was recent discussions in the trans cooler thread about the diff cooler so I bumped this thread as it contains good info on the diff install and difficulties.
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55937&page=144
Thanks for the updates and I like the idea of figuring out if the '17 (would it be the electronics package) main harness would work....I'd do what I can to research further. Just would need some guidance.

Last edited:

jwb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech Pack, Wht w/ blu
I connected C215 and C264 to the diff pump with better connections. Feel fairly confident with the contacts. Heated the sensor to 232F and the pump did not start. Starting to believe may have to do something in a magic box somewhere. Beyond my grunt skills.

Conditions:
Engine running
Tranny neutral
Wheel speed 0
All other circuits in C264 and C215 open (don't think anything that would affect pcm)

Anybody have any thoughts is some condition might have to be met for pcm to run pump (besides programming/settings that I can't change)?

Somebody else want to repeat this test in case I have it wrong?

Thanks,
John

jwb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also, does someone know the temperature at which the pump is designed to turn on? Thanks.

Sponsored

Lurker_350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Tech
I connected C215 and C264 to the diff pump with better connections. Feel fairly confident with the contacts. Heated the sensor to 232F and the pump did not start. Starting to believe may have to do something in a magic box somewhere. Beyond my grunt skills.

Conditions:
Engine running
Tranny neutral
Wheel speed 0
All other circuits in C264 and C215 open (don't think anything that would affect pcm)

Anybody have any thoughts is some condition might have to be met for pcm to run pump (besides programming/settings that I can't change)?

Somebody else want to repeat this test in case I have it wrong?

Thanks,
John
Not that I am confident this would help, but have you looked through the as-built config differences provided in the spreadsheet that [MENTION=21788]Tank[/MENTION] posted above? Maybe one (or more) of those needs to be revised to match the track pack.

Even better, does anyone have a comparison of the 2016 Tech and 2017 Convenience package as-builts?

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Not that I am confident this would help, but have you looked through the as-built config differences provided in the spreadsheet that [MENTION=21788]Tank[/MENTION] posted above? Maybe one (or more) of those needs to be revised to match the track pack.

Even better, does anyone have a comparison of the 2016 Tech and 2017 Convenience package as-builts?
If anyone is willing to give me a 2017 Convenience pack VIN, I'll do another comparison...

jwb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Until you get your Helms' CD, here's the circuit and connectors for the pump and sensor. But if the main wiring harness has different SKUs available on Fordparts.com, then you'll have to trace them back through harness segments.
Matt,
Out of curiosity, did you get this from Helms? I received the CD a few months ago and it is a November 2015 version. My version does not have the temp sensor shown on this schematic. That would have been helpful. I found it by process of elimination. Is there a way to get updates. Sorry for the slight side track.

Also, your schematic shows circuit RE406 going to page 27-6 via DB. My 27-6 does not have DB. It does have a DA. Which is the tranny temp sensor. If you have time and want to, will look at 27-6 and tell me what it says. You don't need to post pics. Your own description would be great.
Thanks,
John

Last edited:

mkonrad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
Matt,
Out of curiosity, did you get this from Helms? I received the CD a few months ago and it is a November 2015 version. My version does not have the temp sensor shown on this schematic. That would have been helpful. I found it by process of elimination. Is there a way to get updates. Sorry for the slight side track.
Thanks,
John
Those diagrams were pulled from the "Ford 2016 Mustang Wiring Diagrams" paperback dated March 2016. My Helms CD dated Nov 2015 omits them as well.

Ford doesn't like to make this easy.
Sponsored