Sponsored

What Will the 2015 Mustang be Like in 50 Years?

Waylap1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT
Definitely all electric. Maybe not at all. Vehicle choices will be greatly reduced.

All fossil fuel dependent vehicles will take first priority.
Airplanes
Emergency vehicles
Commercial transport and cargo trucks
MILITARY

Ships will be hydrogen or nuclear.
No, oil won't be completely gone yet..hopefully, but what little left will be restricted to those uses to make it last longer.
See this movie:
"In a future United States, the only transport available to an individual is public transportation. Predicated on an assertion that "the oil has run out", an increasingly totalitarian central government has ordered all personal vehicles be impounded by law. One man, a former race car driver, yearns again for his ability to choose his own roads and destiny. He reassembles his race car hidden from confiscation, and sets out for "Free California" which has broken away from the new regime, aided by a young technically savvy teen who feels alienated from this "social" society. Agents of the new government must stop this man at any cost to destroy the symbology he represents, and the instability that such a desire for personal autonomy could mean to the society. An old Korean War veteran and his F-86 Sabre jet are called into service to chase down this dangerous man, and end his flouting of the will of the state. In the words of one of the government agents, "People going where they want to, where they want to. This could set us back to the 1980s."
- Written by AGC
image.jpg
Sponsored

elfiero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT Premium, 401A, silver, ebony, A/T
Here's my take: Mass transit will be the norm, as anyone born today will have spent basically their entire lives using it almost exclusively. Moving to and from the transit hubs to your personal subsistence space in one of the thousands of 30 level buildings dotting the "countryside", will be done in/on personal devices(think Segway) that will have some, if not total autonomous control. The shear numbers of people will make it impossible to even THINK about "driving your car" yourself, if for no other reason, due to congestion on the "roads". Out in the extreme "countryside", they will most likely bury a wire down the center, and the autonomous vehicles will use a combination of staying to the right of that, and sonar and radar to stay away from other vehicles. You, as a "driver" would just f_ck up the whole mess by trying to keep up with what was going on around you. As for the 2015 mustang- Really? do you really believe all the electronic crap supplied by the lowest bidder(or China) will survive that long? also what they have for fuel in fifty years WILL NOT work in today's engines. Sorry about the reality check, but the truth is the truth. Unless we completely halt helter-skelter mass breeding on a global scale- we are doomed.

Ruckus

No Fear Here
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rux
Vehicle(s)
People Crazy
Nobody gets the reference.
I got it. I'm just late to the party! :lol:

Doc Brown and his DeLorean time machine, right?

Very interesting question posed by the OP. I often think about what would be considered "classic" in the years to come.

And yes, I think there will be few left, but there are always some hard-core enthusiasts that will do whatever is necessary to keep their cars in running order. Nowadays, we've got eBay and Amazon, along with a slew of other resources for nursing older cars back to life. And I think there will always be folks that will keep on top of their cars, performing maintenance, troubleshooting, etc., so that there will be a few 2015 Mustangs around.

The Mustang of 2065 will no doubt have an even higher degree of tech. Perhaps something on the order of driver bio-feedback, heads up displays for everything and more automated features than ever. Unfortunately, I think this may also result in a loss of "driving experience" that many Mustang owners seem to enjoy. And I seriously doubt there will still be this romanticism associated with rowing gears in the future.

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium, '80 Porsche 924 Turbo
Here's my take: Mass transit will be the norm, as anyone born today will have spent basically their entire lives using it almost exclusively. Moving to and from the transit hubs to your personal subsistence space in one of the thousands of 30 level buildings dotting the "countryside", will be done in/on personal devices(think Segway) that will have some, if not total autonomous control. The shear numbers of people will make it impossible to even THINK about "driving your car" yourself, if for no other reason, due to congestion on the "roads". Out in the extreme "countryside", they will most likely bury a wire down the center, and the autonomous vehicles will use a combination of staying to the right of that, and sonar and radar to stay away from other vehicles. You, as a "driver" would just f_ck up the whole mess by trying to keep up with what was going on around you. As for the 2015 mustang- Really? do you really believe all the electronic crap supplied by the lowest bidder(or China) will survive that long? also what they have for fuel in fifty years WILL NOT work in today's engines. Sorry about the reality check, but the truth is the truth. Unless we completely halt helter-skelter mass breeding on a global scale- we are doomed.
So we're just gonna continue to lose our freedom in the name of "safety". Just like I don't trust roller coasters, I don't trust a robot to transport me anywhere safely, no matter how advanced.

The future is going to suck, car enthusiasm will be dead because we won't be able to drive our own cars places anymore, gas will be nonexistent or whatever source they have for fuel then probably won't work in engines of today or in the past, engines will be irrelevant. There will be no more car shows
Because we won't have cars to drive, and we'll all be fat and incredibly obese like in Wall-E

As morbid as this sounds, I'm starting to envy people that won't live long enough to see this rubbish. :(

Sponsored

B-52 Jetman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT, Johnny Cash Edition
In 50 years, kids will be like: "wow, look at this car...it runs on gasoline!"

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
I think that means that classics in the future will be prohibitively expensive due to these issues, like the expense of redoing the electronics and the cost of finding a 50 year old head unit that works. Think of finding replacement parts for a 1980s computer or VCR...good luck with that, and that's only 30 year old technology.
That's not what I meant... I was saying that it's my opinion that, 50 years from now, your 2015 Mustang will have had completely 100% new, state-of-the-art electronics put in three or four times. Sort of like when you see a resto-mod where somebody's taken a '67 Chevelle and put a modern bluetooth / USB / navigation head unit in it.

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
The shear numbers of people will make it impossible to even THINK about "driving your car" yourself, if for no other reason, due to congestion on the "roads". Out in the extreme "countryside", they will most likely bury a wire down the center, and the autonomous vehicles will use a combination of staying to the right of that, and sonar and radar to stay away from other vehicles. You, as a "driver" would just f_ck up the whole mess by trying to keep up with what was going on around you. As for the 2015 mustang- Really? do you really believe all the electronic crap supplied by the lowest bidder(or China) will survive that long? also what they have for fuel in fifty years WILL NOT work in today's engines. Sorry about the reality check, but the truth is the truth. Unless we completely halt helter-skelter mass breeding on a global scale- we are doomed.
Yeah, ok. Thomas Malthus said this 200 years ago and it hasn't happened yet.

People who worry about overpopulation forget that a) the rate of population growth in the entire world except Africa and parts of southeast Asia is declining precipitously; and b) there is SO MUCH empty space for people to live in.

Seriously, I drive in New York City, which is by no means "impossible" to drive in because of congestion. If the entire world had the population density of New York City, there'd be, what, a trillion people? Overpopulation is not a serious concern in any medium-term timeframe.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
One thing is for certain..

In 2065 we'll still be seeing freakin Fox bodies everywhere.

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
One thing is for certain..

In 2065 we'll still be seeing freakin Fox bodies everywhere.
Ha! I actually can't remember the last time I saw a Fox body. A friend of mine had one when we were in high school in like 1998, but I don't know that I've seen another one since then.

Sponsored

mvp90805

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabriel
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race red mustang GT premium
Man I bet they were saying the same ish, You guys are saying right now back in the 1960's
Flying cars, cars of the future no gas ect, and the "future" cars they build back then don't even come close to looking like the cars we drive now 50 years later

Who the f knows what's gonna happen in 50 years , heck the 15 mustang may be worth the triple of what we paid or loose all value!

Let's just enjoy the car in the presen ;)

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Ha! I actually can't remember the last time I saw a Fox body. A friend of mine had one when we were in high school in like 1998, but I don't know that I've seen another one since then.

A friend of mine at one point had 14 stacked up in various forms of disassembly

BoomBoy

Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2016 Fiesta ST
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, ok. Thomas Malthus said this 200 years ago and it hasn't happened yet.

People who worry about overpopulation forget that a) the rate of population growth in the entire world except Africa and parts of southeast Asia is declining precipitously; and b) there is SO MUCH empty space for people to live in.

Seriously, I drive in New York City, which is by no means "impossible" to drive in because of congestion. If the entire world had the population density of New York City, there'd be, what, a trillion people? Overpopulation is not a serious concern in any medium-term timeframe.
Yet we can't feed all people in the world. People still starve. With a population of 100 billion or more, there would be mass starvation. Just look at North Korea, Africa, etc.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
With any luck I'll still be alive in 50 years. :)

But the level of electronics in the new Mustang worries me a tad, since I plan to keep this one long-term. I can keep my 48-year-old Cougar running like a top with the most basic set of hand tools.....

OP
OP
Mustang Convert

Mustang Convert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
That's not what I meant... I was saying that it's my opinion that, 50 years from now, your 2015 Mustang will have had completely 100% new, state-of-the-art electronics put in three or four times. Sort of like when you see a resto-mod where somebody's taken a '67 Chevelle and put a modern bluetooth / USB / navigation head unit in it.
True. But I cringe when I'm at a classic car show and see a 1960s car with a navigation unit built into the dash or something totally out of place like that.

If someone in the year 2065 wants to restore a 2015 Mustang to stock, I'm just questioning whether that's even going to be possible based on parts availability. Imagine how quaint the 2015 technology/display screens will look then. Heck, I even laugh when I see a stock navigation unit in a late 90s BMW 7 series because of how outdated it already looks.
Sponsored