Sponsored

What Will the 2015 Mustang be Like in 50 Years?

Mustang Convert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I was looking at some first generation Mustangs and thinking how well they've held up over time. That got me thinking about what the sixth generation Mustang (or most other current cars) will be like in 50 years.

The first generation Mustangs and other cars of the area were so simple that most original components and accessories (radio, heat, etc.) will still work fine today. By contrast, the current Mustang is way more complicated, has so much tech, and so many more electronics. How much of this stuff will realistically work in 50 years? How costly would it be to bring a 50 year old 2015 Mustang back into working condition in 2065? I just can't imagine the display screen on the head unit working that long, the cooled seats still functioning that long, TPMS and other sensors holding up, etc. could some of these things (head unit) even be replaced easily then? It doesn't seem like it would be that enjoyable to own a car with that much potentially wrong with it, even if it holds up mechanically.

Makes you wonder how these cars will hold up over time and whether these complicated cars today can be "classics" that will be affordable to own and maintain in the future....
Sponsored

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Electric. Smaller. Part-time autonomous with an option for driver-driving on tracks.

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium, '80 Porsche 924 Turbo
Electric. Smaller. Part-time autonomous with an option for driver-driving on tracks.
So it'll be crap.

Edit: I mean future "cars" in general, if they'll even be called cars, more like taxis or people movers.

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
In a museum because it will remind people of when they still put V8's in cars. A little nostalgic value as well because it was their first year of the IRS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zeenobit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Mustang 3.7L V6
With the way things are going, it'll probably be a hybrid with 600 HPs or something ridiculous like that, with the sound of a "classic" combustion engine played over the radio so you can pretend you're still destroying the environment with your car. :headbonk:

Sponsored

Corwin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Makes you wonder how these cars will hold up over time and whether these complicated cars today can be "classics" that will be affordable to own and maintain in the future....
I'd like to know what car smart people think the answer to that question is. I have a '93 T-bird and finding anyone to do simple mechanical work on it is a bitch.

Because I tend to keep cars, I hope this 2015 mustang I'm about to buy can be fixed and kept in good order for a long time.

-Corwin

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
I would imagine the electronics in a fifty-year-old s550 will have been replaced numerous times. That shouldn't be too big a deal, with the MyFordTouch unit... Just put a new one in every ten-fifteen years. Thankfully, these cars don't have fancy electronic suspensions to fail like Mercedes do. Mechanically, should be fine.

Problem will be that in 2065 it'll be virtually impossible to register and insure and drive a non-autonomous car. If they can bring traffic crashes close to zero, that's where we're headed and that's that. We'll still have plenty of petroleum, but the distribution system might be crippled.

OP
OP
Mustang Convert

Mustang Convert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Problem will be that in 2065 it'll be virtually impossible to register and insure and drive a non-autonomous car. If they can bring traffic crashes close to zero, that's where we're headed and that's that. We'll still have plenty of petroleum, but the distribution system might be crippled.
I had always thought that existing cars would be grandfathered and allowed on the road by law, but the insurance expense is an interesting angle making these cars road legal but impossibly expensive to drive insured.

OP
OP
Mustang Convert

Mustang Convert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I'd like to know what car smart people think the answer to that question is. I have a '93 T-bird and finding anyone to do simple mechanical work on it is a bitch.
Why is that? Wouldn't most mechanics prefer working on a simpler car like that?

OP
OP
Mustang Convert

Mustang Convert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I would imagine the electronics in a fifty-year-old s550 will have been replaced numerous times. That shouldn't be too big a deal, with the MyFordTouch unit... Just put a new one in every ten-fifteen years.
I think that means that classics in the future will be prohibitively expensive due to these issues, like the expense of redoing the electronics and the cost of finding a 50 year old head unit that works. Think of finding replacement parts for a 1980s computer or VCR...good luck with that, and that's only 30 year old technology.

Sponsored

MagneticA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Manual v6 Mustang
Problem will be that in 2065 it'll be virtually impossible to register and insure and drive a non-autonomous car. If they can bring traffic crashes close to zero, that's where we're headed and that's that...
Do you really think this will be reality? There are some difficulties to overcome... new roads not on gps, old roads with damage, debris, animals, ice, etc.. There may be certain driving conditions where an "option" to put the car on auto pilot can be used, but I doubt they'll be autonomous with few crashes.

Wblv17

older fart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2014 5.7HEMI Ram and 2015 eco boost race red pp
it will be just like a 15 mustang

Nitro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
Forget 50 years, later this year we will have Mr. Fusion and an optional hover conversion!

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
the gauge better say air speed in 50 years and not ground speed. Ugh I'll be 80
Sponsored