Sponsored

Two 19x11 Square Setup Installs

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Hey all, I have a question that I'm not really sure can be answered but I'll ask anyways. I checked my tire to strut clearance again last night to remind myself how close it was. Its close enough that I wouldn't want it any closer. I'm not sure if my suspension geometry is different than most folks on here.
  • Steeda: Dual Comp springs, Pro-Action adjustable shocks/struts, rear billet shock mount, sway bars with adjustable endlinks, camber plates, Adjustable Differential Bushing Insert System, Bumpsteer Kit, Lateral Link with extended ball joint and bearings, Tension links with bearings
  • BMR: TCA048H vertical links, CB010 Cradle Bushing Lockout Kit Level 1, BK081 rear lower control arm bearing kit, CB762 IRS Subframe Support Brace System
  • FPR: Knuckle To Toe Link Bearing Assembly, Strut Tower Brace kit, lower cross member
My current setup in front is a 19x10 +35 with a 295/35-19 tire. I ran numbers last night on a 19x11 +50 with a 20mm spacer and a 305/30-19. I got some conflicting results so I'm not really sure what it will take. The wheel offset will be 30mm with the spacer creating a backspace of 7.18" which looks like it will pull in about -0.3" from my current setup. I used a calculator that takes the tire combos into consideration and showed that it is 0.01" closer which mimics what everyone on here has already said. I question this a little bit because the side walls are about 1/2" different and I am not sure what camber settings the tire/wheel calculator assumed. Based on the two calculations, the tire change created an approximate 0.3" of extra space even though the side wall is 0.5"... <scratches head>

So my question is this: does suspension mods significantly change the spacer requirement? I don't see my combo in here which is why I'm asking. Based on some math, I should be fine with a 20mm spacer. But the numbers were not what I expected they would be so I question them.
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
11" needs ET24-26 to clear properly. Subject to tire effects.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I'm seeing your 305/30 setup needing just under 1/8" more inboard room at the max tire section width and about 5/16" at the wheel flange. These are nominal dimensions but I could run a similar plot if I knew the actual tire dimensions on their respective measuring width wheels (tire makes and models is usually enough for me to find that information).

The plot considers tire dimensional changes if not mounted on the measuring width wheel and the spacer thickness as a separate data entry.

TireNominal V00L06 3053019 110 50 20 vs 2953519 100 35 0.jpg

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Hey all, I have a question that I'm not really sure can be answered but I'll ask anyways. I checked my tire to strut clearance again last night to remind myself how close it was. Its close enough that I wouldn't want it any closer.
How close?

Norm

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Hey all, I have a question that I'm not really sure can be answered but I'll ask anyways. I checked my tire to strut clearance again last night to remind myself how close it was. Its close enough that I wouldn't want it any closer. I'm not sure if my suspension geometry is different than most folks on here.
  • Steeda: Dual Comp springs, Pro-Action adjustable shocks/struts, rear billet shock mount, sway bars with adjustable endlinks, camber plates, Adjustable Differential Bushing Insert System, Bumpsteer Kit, Lateral Link with extended ball joint and bearings, Tension links with bearings
  • BMR: TCA048H vertical links, CB010 Cradle Bushing Lockout Kit Level 1, BK081 rear lower control arm bearing kit, CB762 IRS Subframe Support Brace System
  • FPR: Knuckle To Toe Link Bearing Assembly, Strut Tower Brace kit, lower cross member
My current setup in front is a 19x10 +35 with a 295/35-19 tire. I ran numbers last night on a 19x11 +50 with a 20mm spacer and a 305/30-19. I got some conflicting results so I'm not really sure what it will take. The wheel offset will be 30mm with the spacer creating a backspace of 7.18" which looks like it will pull in about -0.3" from my current setup. I used a calculator that takes the tire combos into consideration and showed that it is 0.01" closer which mimics what everyone on here has already said. I question this a little bit because the side walls are about 1/2" different and I am not sure what camber settings the tire/wheel calculator assumed. Based on the two calculations, the tire change created an approximate 0.3" of extra space even though the side wall is 0.5"... <scratches head>

So my question is this: does suspension mods significantly change the spacer requirement? I don't see my combo in here which is why I'm asking. Based on some math, I should be fine with a 20mm spacer. But the numbers were not what I expected they would be so I question them.
I have a very similar set up and run a 19x11 +52 with 305/30/19 SC2 square set up. I opted for the 25 Mil spacer just to be safe and glad I did. with a -3.2* camber I'm super close to the front strut.
However I haven't run into any issues and ran a 1:55 on my worn out set of SC2's at Sonoma.
JDP-0246.jpg

Sponsored

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
I'm seeing your 305/30 setup needing just under 1/8" more inboard room at the max tire section width and about 5/16" at the wheel flange. These are nominal dimensions but I could run a similar plot if I knew the actual tire dimensions on their respective measuring width wheels (tire makes and models is usually enough for me to find that information).
My current tires are MP4S 295/35-19. For the 305/30-19, we could use the MP4S or Cup 2.

How close?
I can't measure with the suspension loaded, way too tight in there. Best I could do was use my phone and record a video. Let me get a screenshot and upload it.

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
I have a very similar set up and run a 19x11 +52 with 305/30/19 SC2 square set up. I opted for the 25 Mil spacer just to be safe and glad I did. with a -3.2* camber I'm super close to the front strut.
However I haven't run into any issues and ran a 1:55 on my worn out set of SC2's at Sonoma.
JDP-0246.jpg
Thanks for chiming in! I was considering the SM-10's but was looking at their +26 offset. Though with 25mm, you are sitting at +27 which is pretty much the same. Have you tried your setup with a normal camber? I won't be running that aggressive of a camber for my car.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Thanks for chiming in! I was considering the SM-10's but was looking at their +26 offset. Though with 25mm, you are sitting at +27 which is pretty much the same. Have you tried your setup with a normal camber? I won't be running that aggressive of a camber for my car.
No probs man. The attached pic is with "normal camber" and theres enough room to throw a party up in there. Here are my Before (like the posted picture) and after (track) specs.
20200615_212518.jpg

The after specs has a clearance very similar to the strut picture you posted. Hope that helps.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Have you tried your setup with a normal camber? I won't be running that aggressive of a camber for my car.
unless you're doing camber with bolts (don't) it doesn't matter what the camber is. The whole assembly is pivoting together.

Sponsored

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
No probs man. The attached pic is with "normal camber" and theres enough room to throw a party up in there. Here are my Before (like the posted picture) and after (track) specs.
20200615_212518.jpg

The after specs has a clearance very similar to the strut picture you posted. Hope that helps.
Yes sir it does! How far does the tire poke out with normal camber? Really appreciate it

ModularKid21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 GT
Vehicle Showcase
If you run a proper tire on that wheel, you'll need 25 mm spacers.
I know. It was more so to show the clearance between the strut/wheel with that affective offset. If Firestone made an Indy 500 in something larger than a 285/35, but smaller than a 325/30, I’d have some

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
Based on some math, I should be fine with a 20mm spacer. But the numbers were not what I expected they would be so I question them.
I ran the following setup on street and track without any issue... 19x11 +50 with 20mm spacer and various tire sizes up to 305/30. I am now running a 25mm spacer since I now swap to APEX EC-7s 18x11 setup that are +52. It is just too tight with a 20mm for a +52 and proper tire.

In retrospect... I would generally recommend the 25mm spacer even for a +50 just to have the extra clearance. Is there a particular reason you wouldn't want to run a 25mm spacer? What camber do you plan to run with this setup?

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
I ran the following setup on street and track without any issue... 19x11 +50 with 20mm spacer and various tire sizes up to 305/30. I am now running a 25mm spacer since I now swap to APEX EC-7s 18x11 setup that are +52. It is just too tight with a 20mm for a +52 and proper tire.

In retrospect... I would generally recommend the 25mm spacer even for a +50 just to have the extra clearance. Is there a particular reason you wouldn't want to run a 25mm spacer? What camber do you plan to run with this setup?
Great feedback and question. What concerns me the most is contact with the fender if the tire protrudes too much. I honestly don't care too much about poke at least not from a "how it looks" perspective. The current clearance right now I can barely fit my hand between the tire and the top of the fender well. I'd hate to come off an HPDE session (whenever that ever happens again) and find that stuff is damaged.

As for camber, I am trying to stay as close to stock as I can within reason. -1.5* of camber +/- 0.8* is what 2morrow shows above which sounds about right. I believe @NightmareMoon touched on how these cars get finicky about camber changes and I'm not experienced enough to really venture into custom alignments at this moment.
Sponsored