Sponsored

Selling car after driving it home?

RaceRed5.0

Threads
Reaction score
From Texas to Louisana to California back to Texas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 3.55, Modded 2006 Pontiac G6
I understand the supercharger thing more, because there's really no way to test drive a supercharger. You have to be pretty lucky to have someone near you with a GT with the exact same power adder you plan on getting that'll let you drive it, and even then it might not be the same setup (injectors, tune, fuel system, clutch etc.)
I still think it is pretty stupid. And you don't need much else to run a supercharger there is a reason they come with kits. The tune is pretty easy as well you can get a flash toon via email Alex who works for JLT does it all the time. As long as you don't use too much boost on the rest of the stock parts you should be fine. I wouldn't put these people up there with the buying and then reselling right off the bat GT350/500 owners but I still think it is stupid. JMHO
Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Yeah, but on the other hand, what's the alternative? Be stuck with a car you've just realized you don't actually like, pay a lot in insurance and gas, then sell it later at an even bigger loss. So take your pick - either lose $10K now, or lose $15-20K in the long run. You may find it more sensible to just acknowledge your mistake, cut your losses and be done with it, than to pump even more money into something you don't want.
That is pretty much the way I roll, too. My dad used to say "Life's too short to dance with an ugly woman". I have no idea what that meant.

gnarlycaveman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I see what Hristofor means, and I do relate to it. Let me tell you about my first (and so far only) experience with a Mustang.
Four years ago, as the S550 had just started being sold here, I was in a market for a replacement for my Mk4 Mondeo, and my local Ford dealer gave me a manual Ecoboost for a daylong test drive.
Now, every car has its own personality and trasfers some of it to the driver. I find I'm quite sensitive to this, meaning that my temper and state of mind can change dramatically from one car to the next. It can turn me into a completely different man.
That day I wasn't myself. For the entire duration of the day I kept feeling a deep urge to overtake everyone and everything. I felt extremely annoyed every time I had to brake a little, not to mention coming to a complete stop at a red light. I kept swearing at what I perceived were lazy Sunday drivers in front of me, until I'd look at the speedometer and notice that they were doing 50 mph in a 30 zone, so they were hardly lazy or Sunday drivers, but that's how they seemed to me. By late afternoon I was exhausted. I felt like I had been riding a wild horse. Awesome experience, but very tiring. When I took the Mustang back to the dealer and got in my own car I heaved a sigh of relief. All I wanted now was a comfortable, quiet, automatic saloon that would drive itself home with minimal input from me.
So, will I be able to live with a Mustang on a daily basis? I don't know. I really hope so, but I don't know. I'll need a lot of self-control. And while self-control may not be an issue on a normal day, when everything goes fine and I'm in a good mood, it might become one when I'm tired, or slightly upset, or in a hurry, or when some traffic event annoys me.
I see where you are coming from. I was cross shopping a Golf R or R32 before my mustang purchase. I never drove the Golf R but still to this day I wonder.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I see what Hristofor means, and I do relate to it. Let me tell you about my first (and so far only) experience with a Mustang.
Do you have any other instances involving driving where you felt your self-control was perhaps a bit lacking?

I guess I'm not seeing why getting into a Mustang would trigger such a change, and it's not from never having driven cars that were considerably faster than anything I've ever actually owned.

Norm

OP
OP

nedim1991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Magnetic Metallic GT
I still think it is pretty stupid. And you don't need much else to run a supercharger there is a reason they come with kits. The tune is pretty easy as well you can get a flash toon via email Alex who works for JLT does it all the time. As long as you don't use too much boost on the rest of the stock parts you should be fine. I wouldn't put these people up there with the buying and then reselling right off the bat GT350/500 owners but I still think it is stupid. JMHO
Being that I'm trying to get everything sorted for a supercharger or turbo build next spring/summer, I can tell you there's an immense amount of variables. There's about 4 different varieties of power adder, twin-turbo/single-turbo/PD blower/Centri blower. Then there's sub-categories within those: if you're going TT, do you wanna save some money and spend the extra time on install with the On3 kit, or do you wanna just pony up for the Hellion? If you want a centri-blower, do you want the Procharger style, or the Paxton/Vortech? If you want a PD blower, do you want the instant torque of the TVS, or do you want the brute, overall, ever-so-slightly less instant torque of a Whipple Gen 5? As far as the kits, hardly anyone strictly sticks to those. Do you wanna stick with the 47/72 lb injectors in the kit, or do you wanna upgrade to ID1050x/DW95's/FIC 1000's? Or maybe something even bigger. For fueling, do you wanna stick with a BAP, or do you wanna spring for a Fore/Lethal return style system? Or do you wanna cheap out and get the Sai-Li return style system? Do you wanna stick with the canned tune, or do you wanna have Lund/PBD/AED/VMP remote tune? Maybe you wanna go all out and get a full dyno tune done in-person. As far as supporting mods, you definitely gotta keep those in mind to. On a manual car, it's not a question of if the stock clutch fail with that much power, it's a question of when. If not the whole transmission overall. Have you done IRS mods and got a great tire, or do you just not give a damn about never hooking? These are all questions that need to be answered when going F/I. By and large, if you look across the community and this forum, you won't find more than 2 or 3 builds that answer all of those questions with the exact same answer. That's the fun of it, but it's also why people end up unhappy with their builds and end up selling them. So, so many variables.

Sponsored

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
Being that I'm trying to get everything sorted for a supercharger or turbo build next spring/summer, I can tell you there's an immense amount of variables. There's about 4 different varieties of power adder, twin-turbo/single-turbo/PD blower/Centri blower. Then there's sub-categories within those: if you're going TT, do you wanna save some money and spend the extra time on install with the On3 kit, or do you wanna just pony up for the Hellion? If you want a centri-blower, do you want the Procharger style, or the Paxton/Vortech? If you want a PD blower, do you want the instant torque of the TVS, or do you want the brute, overall, ever-so-slightly less instant torque of a Whipple Gen 5? As far as the kits, hardly anyone strictly sticks to those. Do you wanna stick with the 47/72 lb injectors in the kit, or do you wanna upgrade to ID1050x/DW95's/FIC 1000's? Or maybe something even bigger. For fueling, do you wanna stick with a BAP, or do you wanna spring for a Fore/Lethal return style system? Or do you wanna cheap out and get the Sai-Li return style system? Do you wanna stick with the canned tune, or do you wanna have Lund/PBD/AED/VMP remote tune? Maybe you wanna go all out and get a full dyno tune done in-person. As far as supporting mods, you definitely gotta keep those in mind to. On a manual car, it's not a question of if the stock clutch fail with that much power, it's a question of when. If not the whole transmission overall. Have you done IRS mods and got a great tire, or do you just not give a damn about never hooking? These are all questions that need to be answered when going F/I. By and large, if you look across the community and this forum, you won't find more than 2 or 3 builds that answer all of those questions with the exact same answer. That's the fun of it, but it's also why people end up unhappy with their builds and end up selling them. So, so many variables.
Looks like your doing your homework. Also some insurance company’s won’t cover your car if it’s in a wreck and they find it’s been F/I.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Being that I'm trying to get everything sorted for a supercharger or turbo build next spring/summer, I can tell you there's an immense amount of variables.
That's the fun of it, but it's also why people end up unhappy with their builds and end up selling them. So, so many variables.
Spending money is easy. Spending it wisely is the tricky part.

Norm

Rover

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scotty
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT , Porsche Boxster S, BMW X5d, FORD Transit Diesel, 2500 Ram Diesel, Mazda CX5
Vehicle Showcase
This! Exactly. The person who has a couple hundred grand in the bank plus 2-3 years expenses, by and large isn't the same person who figures "ehh, throw away $20-30K. No big deal." This is the biggest part of what I don't get.
I think the person you are wondering about just got caught up in all the hype. Bought and drove the car home only to realize it wasn't as smooth or fast as his ... whatever car was. I bought a 50k car once that I didn't like the seats. At the time of the test drive I was interested in the mechanicals and didn't realize I was sitting on a box until a couple of weeks later!!! It happens.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
It shouldn't have to be, provided that you drive to roughly the same absolute levels of performance. Just that what took 7/10ths driving in the Fiesta may only call for 3/10ths with the Mustang.
The only aspect I can see being much different would be throttle discipline. But if you can keep your focus on being 'smooth' with that pedal - as well as with your steering and braking inputs - even that's not all that difficult (free tip - drive modes that provide exaggerated throttle response are not your friends here). Never mind that the smoother you do all those things, the more you can get away with doing before your passengers start complaining.
I guess it's all in how you look at "more involving" - whether you see it as a burden because it means you have to stay a bit more focused on the driving, or as an essential part of the enjoyment because you are more focused on your driving.
Norm
I drive the car on normal with comfort steering. However in my home country the roads are narrow, full with patholes and crazy drivers in 20+ years old cars. The Fiesta is small light car which i'm driving for the past 7 years so I'm used to it. On the other hand the Mustang is larger than almost anything on the road but tracks and busses. It's crazy fast compared to 20+ years old car like an E36 or E46 BMW and trying to drive defensive in a Mustang is not the easiest thing on the world.

But don't get me wrong I love when I take it to the track or on a Sunday drive with friends.

OP
OP

nedim1991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Magnetic Metallic GT
I drive the car on normal with comfort steering. However in my home country the roads are narrow, full with patholes and crazy drivers in 20+ years old cars. The Fiesta is small light car which i'm driving for the past 7 years so I'm used to it. On the other hand the Mustang is larger than almost anything on the road but tracks and busses. It's crazy fast compared to 20+ years old car like an E36 or E46 BMW and trying to drive defensive in a Mustang is not the easiest thing on the world.

But don't get me wrong I love when I take it to the track or on a Sunday drive with friends.
Being from Bosnia (I assume the roads are pretty similar), I completely understand. I could see how for someone that has spent their whole life in the US, where roads are comparatively extremely wide and open, it's pretty hard to imagine what it would be like to drive a Mustang on the roads in some of Europe. It's a whole different experience. I putt along happily in a VW Polo when I visit back home haha.

Sponsored

RaceRed5.0

Threads
Reaction score
From Texas to Louisana to California back to Texas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 3.55, Modded 2006 Pontiac G6
Oh I know the variables. Maybe I came off too tamed for the most part the kit is there for your basic upgrade, by no means is it the only thing you can do or add. And there are countless things you can especially for the Coyote that you have to take into consideration as you mentioned. I've been wanting to run boost for a long time and still do. I just get frustrated in seeing people slap a supercharger/procharger or TT/Turbo kit and sell it the next day. See you are doing enough research which is very wise when running boost. I just think these people are dumb that actually probably don't do enough research slap a blower on their engine and not like it afterwards. Maybe they never really liked their car to begin with, idk.

I get what you're saying and you are doing it the right way. It's a shame more people don't do it that way and end up not liking it or wanting something else.

OP
OP

nedim1991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Magnetic Metallic GT
Looks like your doing your homework. Also some insurance company’s won’t cover your car if it’s in a wreck and they find it’s been F/I.
I've not heard of that before. That's so dumb and arbitrary. So, I could get nailed for having a blower, but my brother in law who has a CTS-V and ported the blower/built the motor/upgraded the fuel system/is running 1300 cc injectors,/and took the car from mid 500's crank to 900 wheel, would be fine because that car comes with a blower?

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
WRT driving after a long day at the office:

All my history of being a driver, from baby steps to ragged-edge on- and off-track behavior, is pertinent at any time during a driving episode. i shrug the various categories on and off with and without conscious decisions. Some times it's easy to slip into an inappropriate mode, some times require constant concentration to maintain an equilibrium, but all times are susceptible and responsive to my history as a driver. My self is accustomed to trusting itself to make the right adjustments, and has enough alarm cues to smooth out any unwanted or unwarranted transitions in favor of comfort-in-mode operation instantly, usually with decent anticipation.

I'm saying that after a certain stretch of experience, each of us has a capability to be relaxed in a driving situation, and that capability can be accessed by allowing the underlying experiential functions to surface.

Relax into your being's history, enjoy the freedom from anxiety.

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
02’ 360, 06’ GT, 11’ GT500, 15’ 911, 17’ 350
I've not heard of that before. That's so dumb and arbitrary. So, I could get nailed for having a blower, but my brother in law who has a CTS-V and ported the blower/built the motor/upgraded the fuel system/is running 1300 cc injectors,/and took the car from mid 500's crank to 900 wheel, would be fine because that car comes with a blower?
If you haven’t, I wouldn’t start now to worry. I’ve heard of it through various forums but I’ve never experience it or know someone in-person who has either. Car insurance is like your credit score... lots of factors go into the algorithm.

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt

Can I suggest you take a few spins out in non stressful situations other than to and from work on time, say a few evening spins out around the city with no particular agenda, if you are getting tired or stressed stop for a coffee and then head home, take a day trip out to the beach or hills where you just potter about with no agenda. Not sure where in the country you are but maybe a few scenic spins out later at night when traffic is less dense, hit up a few twisties with no real attempt to make progress or have a mini track day, just enjoy getting to know the car.

Go on your own, no worries about passenger being bored, or getting bounced about from missed gears or whatever and stick some tunes on, not 120bpm techno, something relaxing.

It's a fun car to drive, rewarding and you may just need time to connect and get all the various muscle memory bits dialed in. That takes time and miles. :)
Sponsored