Sponsored

Gen2s are just better looking

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
How much did it cost to get painted. arent those kits like about a grand unpainted?
Mine was $1599.00 painted and shipped to my front door.
Sponsored

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Mine was $1599.00 painted and shipped to my front door.
cool thanks. would you be willing to share where you bought it painted? i found some but all were unpainted.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
I ordered my 2017 car a couple weeks after the official 2018 model pics came out. I didn't want to risk my build getting pushed off to an 18 model because I didn't like the squished looking front end.

That being said in person it looks alot better, especially white IMO. But I still prefer the 15-17. Can't deny the 18+ make more power and have a better auto though.

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
Last edited:

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0

Sponsored

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
3669b35d642577911e04e8510a8fa7a1--mustang-quotes-mustang-humor.jpg

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Can't deny the 18+ make more power and have a better auto though.
yep. Can't deny the extra 25hp on the 18+. But on a 15-17 that's a simple tune away. Only advantage I see with the gen 3 coyote is the 12:1 CR.

rebellovw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
Well aware that this is totally subjective and will likely rustle some jimmies, but man I feel pretty strongly that the Gen 2 body is just sexier than Gen 3s. I'm not at all feeling the Gen 3 front fascia.

UNRELATED - but my 2015 manual PP1 shifts super clunky in normal, much smoother in Sport+. Not sure why anyone would prefer cruising around in normal TBH.

/controversy
Sure they do, sure they do now go to sleep little baby.

stuart-saves-1.jpg

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I was very disappointed in the 2018MY refresh. There were too many changes in my opinion. The "fins" that make it look like a fish face are just wonky... steeda came out with an insert for those which broke it up a bit and made it more palatable. I think the Shelby America front end should have been the s550 refresh. The back end does look better. Lots of guys installing the GT350 valance on the 15-17MY to give it a more finished look and have the quad tip exhaust.
I was not a fan of the slopped "bonnet" style hood as it almost disappears as you are looking out the front end, which if you are a muscle car guy you want to see some of the hood and not feel like you are driving a cross over or mini van.
The thing that really got to me was the cheap cheap gloss black front grill that didn't match the lower grill area... that was just Yuck. The hood vents looked cheap and just don't look great running sideways (landscape) vs the streamlined hood vents in the 2015-17.
If I had been the chief designer I would have:
1. lowered the hood and decreased the cowel lines a bit, but kept the overall design of the hood and vents
2. Kept the front grill the same shade of plastic
3. maybe added the newer headlights, but not cornered off the lines like they did
3. streamlined the fog lamps for a more agressive look.
4. I agree with most of the redesign in the back, but would have integrated the exhaust tips into a valance vs just have the bare metal tips sticking out.. just does't finish it off well
5. The slanted taillights does give it an extra dimension I would have done that.
6. I would not have put the accent lines in the rear decklid... it was fine with the smooth surface.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
The only '18+ I like the looks of is the new Mach 1. They fixed everything wrong with that front end.

I still don't care for the snout of the other non-Shelby cars, too busy to my eye.

Sponsored

venge

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang gt pp
I love the look of the gen 3 rear with the quad tips but prefer the lines of the gen 2 front end ..the lines of the car from the hood to front grill to the bumper flow with the car right down to the front splitter ..gen 3 have a few more ponies under the hood which is always nice ..
love them both but this ones mine & paid for so keeping it for now lol ..
20200605_211205.jpg

Last edited:

mnm4ever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, MR2 Spyder, Sea Doo HX
I was really surprised to see how many prefer the 18+ to the 15-17. I am obviously biased, but to me the 15-17 is a clean design, every line just flows, and the design of the front end matches the rest of the car. From a design standpoint, that is the car as it was intended. The 18+ is a refresh, and it looks like a refresh. It's not that its bad looking, it just doesn't match the rest of the car. They made the headlights too small, made the rest of the lines in the front all angular, and it doesn't match the muscular curves of the sides and rear flanks. And the hood droops too much, like a sad face. As for the rear, I honestly don't see much difference in them, I guess its the curved taillights over the flat ones? Every time I see a 18+ I do a double take trying to figure out whats wrong with it, the proportions are just off, like a bad nose job. Which I guess it was. When they came out with the updated Coyote, I thought about trading, until I saw what they did to the front. It is no doubt a better engine, but I just wanted the looks of the earlier car more than I wanted more HP.

Now this whole Gen 2/Gen 3 thing... that's just confusing. Engineers do not call the car generation based on the engine that is in it... its a chassis code, not an engine code. The S550 I would be the 2015-2017. The S550 II would be the 18+, like they did with the S197 I and II. Or just call it what it is... a refresh. And for the record, the S197 I was definitely a more cohesive design than the S197 II, although just like the S550 both were good looking.

Joe B.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I have been a fan of the Mustang since day one and believe there are no ugly Mustangs. I bought my '17, my first, in Sept of that year and glad I did because "they just got it right".

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
I have been a fan of the Mustang since day one and believe there are no ugly Mustangs. I bought my '17, my first, in Sept of that year and glad I did because "they just got it right".
There are plenty of ugly modified ones.
I too, love most all Mustangs.
Sponsored