OP

crcpdx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
What tune, pulley, and tire are you running?
PBD tune, stock 3.875 pulley (11lbs). MT str R 305/45/17 on ragstars drag pack. DA was good at 1100, but still think with pulling the seats, 1/4 tank of gas, a smaller driver and long tubes someone could run a 9 on the stock stage 2 set up.
Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Regarding timing being pulled, many seem to be under the impression that there is just one Whipple cal. Maybe one starts pulling timing at 120 but some other revision pulls at 130 F.

FWIW, I believe the stock 2018 cal starts pulling timing at 100 deg IAT.

Fatevilmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang GT in Grabber Blue
Finally got out to the strip and had very high temps as the day went on. First 2 runs were within 30 minutes of each other. And was running under 100 degrees in 75 degree weather. I let the car sit for an hour and the iats went up to over 110. Did 2 runs and let it sit another hour. Iats over 130! When I'm trying to cool the car down should I leave aux power on? Bring ice?
killer chiller mod

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
Maybe in 110 degree weather in Arizona after shut down and restart. I have never seen iat2 levels even close to that with the engine running or when driving.
My Edelbrock is seeing 30 over shown outside temp on dash. That’s 130-140 here in AZ She gets so hot I can feel it soaking into the cabin.

Does opening up the front grill area help? Stock config doesn’t have many holes there.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
My Edelbrock is seeing 30 over shown outside temp on dash. That’s 130-140 here in AZ She gets so hot I can feel it soaking into the cabin.

Does opening up the front grill area help? Stock config doesn’t have many holes there.
I did open mine up long before I got the supercharger but I have no idea if it does anything.

Sponsored

OP
OP

crcpdx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
So just for an update. Yesterday I went out and drove hard for 40 minutes. Then another 15 minutes in traffic getting home. Iat was 113 when I got home, kept the car in aux to run the pump with the hood open for 30 minutes. Came back and turned the car on iat 108. 80 degree day no wind.

OP
OP

crcpdx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT

As crazy as it sounds, when I'm coasting along even at 50 or 60 mph my is IATs do not drop. Give it some throttle and then they go down. Not sure what that means about air flow v a bigger HE?

Ruiner46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT PP
As crazy as it sounds, when I'm coasting along even at 50 or 60 mph my is IATs do not drop. Give it some throttle and then they go down. Not sure what that means about air flow v a bigger HE?
When you give it throttle, you pull in a burst of cooler outside air. When you are just cruising, most of the air is circulating through the bypass valve.

I've opened up my grill inlet with my Whipple kit and I noticed that the IAT at the MAF recovers from traffic heat faster, which does help the post-intercooler IAT a little.

The biggest gain for me was installing a phenolic spacer between intake and heads. It helps make the intercooler system a lot more effective by keeping the intake isolated from engine heat. That change was night and day difference, and totally worth it if you can make it fit with your supercharger kit.

OP
OP

crcpdx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
When you give it throttle, you pull in a burst of cooler outside air. When you are just cruising, most of the air is circulating through the bypass valve.

I've opened up my grill inlet with my Whipple kit and I noticed that the IAT at the MAF recovers from traffic heat faster, which does help the post-intercooler IAT a little.

The biggest gain for me was installing a phenolic spacer between intake and heads. It helps make the intercooler system a lot more effective by keeping the intake isolated from engine heat. That change was night and day difference, and totally worth it if you can make it fit with your supercharger kit.
Not sure that would fit. I had to take the hood liner off just for clearance. Similar to you I have heard of guys putting reflective heat wrap in the tunnel to create some separation.

wht67

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Vehicle(s)
gone
Vehicle Showcase

Where did you get the phenolic spacer?

Sponsored

Ruiner46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT PP
Where did you get the phenolic spacer?
I got the MFP phenolic spacer from VMP. It is not cheap, but it's worth it.

As for hood clearance, I did lower the engine with some drop mounts to buy the extra clearance. Since I have the older gen 2 whipple, I also had to remove a pulley bracket bolt, but that hasn't caused any issues.

Reflective tape might help a little, but you really want to get rid of the metal to metal contact between the intake and heads. Aluminum is a great conductor of heat, and adding the phenolic barrier prevents that transfer.

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP

Even though I did several other things to make mine run cooler, without a doubt the phenolic spacers made a big difference. My IAT's dropped substantially.

JasinEdward

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 Roush Stage 1
I have a 2019 with the Roush 2650 and have seen some high temps..... The highest I have seen it get is when it is 90+ degrees outside and I'm sitting idling on a blacktop parking lot...... 145-150.... but that is running for a while too.... average cruising temps are 115-130 in 90+ degrees...

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
I did open mine up long before I got the supercharger but I have no idea if it does anything.
sorry to hijack....im thinking I can just take a dremel to it while installed! any tips?

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
sorry to hijack....im thinking I can just take a dremel to it while installed! any tips?
I started out by drilling holes in the areas that were solid and then used a dremel to enlarge and smooth out the holes so they look just like the areas that were open.
Sponsored