2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Personally I don't think the MT-82 is that bad considering the price point of the vehicle. I found that it's just the character of the vehicle.

I swapped the fluid, bushing (and will eventually swap the shifter) and track the shit out of my car without any issue and embarrass much more expensive vehicles.

Ultimately, it's up to you OP. If it's that big of an issue, sell the car and move on.
Sponsored

dbegley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Performance Package 401a
Vehicle Showcase
First thing I did was swap out that clutch spring on my 17 Mustang GT with a Steeda spring. HUGE difference in the feel of the clutch.The Steeda spring makes it more like I was used to. I've owned many 4-6 speed cars over the years. I really like driving my 17 Mustang including the transmission. I haven't done the shifter swap yet but I hear bolting the shifter to the transmission is a big improvement in shifting the car.

My car sales friends tell me that car market is very depressed right now. Car sales have tanked. Dealers may not be looking for more cars for their lot. It's a buyer's market right now.

Swap out that clutch spring and get a good aftermarket shifter that bolts to the transmission and see if that doesn't make a big difference.

OP
OP
bschoon55

bschoon55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro 2 SS 1LE, Former 2018 Mustang GT.
First thing I did was swap out that clutch spring on my 17 Mustang GT with a Steeda spring. HUGE difference in the feel of the clutch.The Steeda spring makes it more like I was used to. I've owned many 4-6 speed cars over the years. I really like driving my 17 Mustang including the transmission. I haven't done the shifter swap yet but I hear bolting the shifter to the transmission is a big improvement in shifting the car.

My car sales friends tell me that car market is very depressed right now. Car sales have tanked. Dealers may not be looking for more cars for their lot. It's a buyer's market right now.

Swap out that clutch spring and get a good aftermarket shifter that bolts to the transmission and see if that doesn't make a big difference.
Very good advice my friend! I appreciate it! Other people are probably going to laugh at this, but I also tried changing some things on my end. I bought some new shoes that fit my feet a lot tighter and because of that I have a way better feel on the clutch and things have gotten way better for me. FAR better than when I started this thread. Definitely happy to report that.... I'm definitely in love with this thing now.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Very good advice my friend! I appreciate it! Other people are probably going to laugh at this, but I also tried changing some things on my end. I bought some new shoes that fit my feet a lot tighter and because of that I have a way better feel on the clutch and things have gotten way better for me. FAR better than when I started this thread. Definitely happy to report that.... I'm definitely in love with this thing now.
It's amazing the difference good shoes make. I've been rocking my Converse Chuck Taylors for years now, the flat bottom makes clutchwork a breeze.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Sorry not a salesman , but after 30 plus years of working on this crap you can call it what you want . The stock shifter is like playing with a noodle . Most aftermarket shifters go away from a body mount to a Trans mount eliminating the slop .
Does the mgw retain the rev matching? I'm not sure exactly how ford has it set up but if the ecm uses the shifter to determine gear selection then my brain tells me rev matching would be no more.

All these people bitching about the mt-82 it's my guess most just don't know how to drive a manual!! I've been driving one my entire life I'm 57. There is nothing wrong with this transmission. Mine is perfect. Daddy should have taught you to drive a manual.
28 here but have been driving stick for 13 years and I can agee. Well, sort of, it's a far cry from perfect but I've driven a lot worse. You do have to wonder about some people's ability to shift with a lot of the "car is so jerky!" complaints.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Agree with changing the fluid and shifter
So fluid and a new shifter is gonna miraculously turn one into a MT82 shifting GOD? Good too know. :clap:

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
You do have to wonder about some people's ability to shift with a lot of the "car is so jerky!" complaints.

A lot of jerky (good
discription) will go a way with the sport mode. Normal if you will, has that little rpm increase for the amateur to get rolling. That can get in the way especially if one has driven manuals.

At first I thought slick, but quickly discovered, my own coordination fought the timing and instants of the feature .

Have you noticed when sitting on an incline. The brakes will stay locked for about 3 sec after brakes released? If unknown that will make the car feel jerky. One more jerky, slow roll, that happens less clutch, before more throttle.

The point made above regarding body mount shifter is a good one. As to having it mounted to the case. Was not aware that was the factory design.

I've adapted to the box as it stands, sport mode allows for snappy and positive shifting. Likely will consider relocating shifter & linkage to firm it up, just for the feel if nothing else.
Pep

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Steeda shifter bracket. Cheap, easy fix and you would be appalled at the utter crap the factory piece is. A highschool shop class would be embarrased to have made it. The shifter isn't mounted to nothin' with that sorry-ass bracket.

https://www.steeda.com/steeda-s550-mustang-shifter-base-bushing-bracket-kit-2015-all-555-7092.html

I swapped out fluids with just a few thousand miles on it. Made a welcome difference. It's no Tremec by any stretch but I no longer think about the trans.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure exactly how ford has it set up but if the ecm uses the shifter to determine gear selection then my brain tells me rev matching would be no more.
There is a sensor that detects entry into a gate. It then issues the throttle blip. Just for giggles you can 'touch' the gate and have it blip for you, relax and touch it again for another. I leave auto-blip on but I do it a fraction of a second earlier than the computer and it helps out when I'm doing a 4->2 or 5->2 shift and I didn't quite get the revs right.

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt , 2015 Escape , 2015 F250
Vehicle Showcase
Does the mgw retain the rev matching? I'm not sure exactly how ford has it set up but if the ecm uses the shifter to determine gear selection then my brain tells me rev matching would be no more.

28 here but have been driving stick for 13 years and I can agee. Well, sort of, it's a far cry from perfect but I've driven a lot worse. You do have to wonder about some people's ability to shift with a lot of the "car is so jerky!" complaints.
Yes auto blip still works

Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
I'm sorry but I'm not quite going to fit your stereotype. I don't have a TON of experience with manuals, but I have a 2019 Fiesta ST with a manual and I have driven a Mini Cooper with a manual as well. I'm 30 years old and have paid for this car and my FiST.... not something given to me by Mom or Dad and I had to teach myself how to drive a manual. This GT is my 3rd car with a manual. I understand comparing the MT-82 to the manual transmission in my FiST or the Mini Cooper isn't fair. Both of those cars have about 200 HP and the Mustang has way more than double that as you know. It's not going to shift the same and every car acts differently anyway.

I just don't think the MT-82 is that good of a transmission, to me it's very inconsistent when driving it hard. If I'm just driving it around the streets running around the speed limit, there's no issues... ever. I'm just talking about when you're really driving it hard, that's when I see weak points. Now listen, I did buy this car used with 7,000 miles on it. When we get out of this pandemic, I would LOVE to go test drive a 2020 GT that's brand new with the MT-82 to see if it would act different than my car.

I will also tell the last 2 days, I have tried to change up my technique a little when driving it hard... based off some advice I had read in other forum threads and I've really enjoyed myself. Enough to the point where this car is absolutely going no where, I'm hanging onto it as is. So I'm happy to report I'm feeling a lot better about things... way better than when I created this thread.
First, glad to hear you're now enjoying the car. I was gonna recommend more seat time as well. I went from a 2009 Mini Cooper JCW to my 19 GT PP1. They shift very differently. The mini was like butter and gear just shift as easy as you breathe, almost like you simply will it to be in the next gear. The mustang requires much more precision, while the Mini is an absolute blast to race around, the stang is more of a drivers car. It took me about 5k miles of DDing before I started to really get the MT-82 down (I also think it was learning me as well). With the rev hang on up shifts, my timing had to adjust but I swear it hangs less now than it did when I first got the car. I sold my Mini to a friend so I can still drive it whenever I want, and did so after I was much more used to the stang. Holy crap did the Mini feel alien to me! Longer throw, way less pedal movements, and way less beastly, and my Mini was modified to about 300hp and lowered. We've raced and they are neck and neck but the stang has mods incoming so that will change by a lot I'm sure. So yeah, seat time is king, it's not the MT-82's fault for being different. As you've already realized, you just need to learn it's quirks. 10k miles from now and you'll be the one telling people on the forums to "learn to drive a manual!" lol

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Just to put my 2 cents here the MT-82 is not bad transmission for what it is. But the stock brake/clutch fluid is not grate once you heat it up (hard driving) it will cause problems. The biggest change in shifting I notice when I switched to fresh Motul RBF 660. I think there is a kit on the market that separates the fluid for the clutch from the brake fluid I strongly recommend getting that as well if you care about your MT-82.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
A lot of jerky (good discription) will go a way with the sport mode. Normal if you will, has that little rpm increase for the amateur to get rolling. That can get in the way especially if one has driven manuals.

At first I thought slick, but quickly discovered, my own coordination fought the timing and instants of the feature .

Have you noticed when sitting on an incline. The brakes will stay locked for about 3 sec after brakes released? If unknown that will make the car feel jerky. One more jerky, slow roll, that happens less clutch, before more throttle.

The point made above regarding body mount shifter is a good one. As to having it mounted to the case. Was not aware that was the factory design.

I've adapted to the box as it stands, sport mode allows for snappy and positive shifting. Likely will consider relocating shifter & linkage to firm it up, just for the feel if nothing else.
Pep
That's the hill assist and you can actually turn that off. I tried using it because it's a cool feature but the brakes don't release fast enough. It became irritating more than helpful.

Speaking of the rev increase to get rolling; that was definitely the source of my notchy first gear engages. Although I went the other direction. Once I realized what it was doing I grew very fond of it. Stop and go traffic and creeping into my overfilled garage is made extremely easy.

But yeah, the body mounted shifter reduces nvh so I guess that's why it was chosen. It definitely causes some slop otherwise. I haven't had any issues when moving in a straight line but there has been a couple of hard corners where it just doesn't want to go into 2nd gear. I'm guessing it's because the slop from the linkage meant that, when the stick is all the way to the left, the actual position of shaft was hitting the gate. Not often but definitely annoying. The linkage design really is the biggest flaw of the transmission, IMO.

Yes auto blip still works
Good to know. That was the only thing stopping me from getting an mgw. I had one on my old mustang and loved it.

There is a sensor that detects entry into a gate.
This much I knew, I just didn't know what the sensor is tied to. If the sensor is located on the transmission then it's a non issue to swap shifters, but if there was also a harness on the shifter then a new shifter wouldn't be compatible.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
That's the hill assist and you < where is that found, curious I tried using it because it's a cool feature but the brakes don't release fast enough. It became irritating more than helpful.

Speaking of the rev increase to get rolling; that was definitely the source of my notchy first gear engages. Although I went the other direction. Once I realized what it was doing I grew very fond of it. Stop and go traffic and creeping into my overfilled garage is made extremely easy. < that's funny as hell, have a mental picture in hi-def

But yeah, the body mounted shifter ? reduces nvh ? so I guess that's why it was chosen. It definitely .

Pep