Sponsored

19 350 shifter recall

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt , 2015 Escape , 2015 F250
Vehicle Showcase
Most any modern day Mustang shifter is going to be a semi-remote design that is rubber bushed throughout for NVH. There is a critical difference between the shifters Ford uses on the Mustang GT and the GT350 though. The factory GT350 is a pendulum design and the GT a single axis design - in general terms. Theoretically, the single axis is what you want for performance as it is more linear. Problem is, Ford dumbs down the shifters via joints in the actuation rod, overly soft bushings, etc.

I've stated this for years now regarding the GT350 shifter - it is a low budget design. Make that very low budget. The composite ball/cup used are a compromise (large tolerances, rapid wear) that affects shift quality negatively as time and mileage are accrued. The reverse lockout mechanism (collar and spring) design is problematic as Ford is trying impart light feel (via a soft spring) that encourages the collar to stick. There is too much deflection in the system and it in part reduces feel and accuracy. Considering the monies spent on the clutch for the 5.2L Voodoo engine as well as the refinements made to the TR3160, the shifter isn't up to snuff and is a rather poor match. Ford is now stuck with it (as are GT350 owners) and is bandaiding what was a poor design to begin with. Admittedly, they can't win here. If they manufacture a more precise shift mechanism (typically costlier, something they don't favor) they will hear complaints related to NVH. If they go the weak wrist path then hard charging enthusiasts complain. So they try to find a balance. Problem here is, the balance went out the window with this car and they are trying to take the edge out of it with a "gentler" mechanism. They did the same thing with the clutch spring, something they keep going back and forth with. IMHO, they needed a focus group for this car with a harder edge.
Well stated, the problem lies with in , most people who drive these car are looking for no nvh . Sorry guys you bought a street legal track car . One of my client has a 350r and a zl 1e ,asked him which one he likesaid more . Answer , what ever gets the most looks . Go figure .
Sponsored

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
The shifter in the gt and the 350 is basically the same . When I refer to it filling like a wet noodle , there is a lot of slop between gear changes . Even though the gt and the 350 use different transmission the shifters are rubber mounted to the transmission and body . When you change to an aftermarket shifter that is transmission mounted , with less rubber bushings , it fills and shifts more accurate. Less play = less missed shifts when hard on it . I work on a lot of these cars modified and stock , there is a big diifarnce on what works and doesn't . So what I'm trying to say , from a stock shifter to an aftermarket one is , it fells lick a wet noodle . Or a pool noodle , sloppy , no positive engagement, or how ever you want to describe it .
I see your point now, but being on my second GT350 and having an MGW (thanks to @Epiphany), I can't believe that the OEM GT350 shifter is not much more precise than a GT shifter if you describe the GT as a wet noodle. That would be a huge overstatement for the OEM GT350 shifter. I respect the GT. Just saying what you describe does not reflect my experience with the OEM GT350 shifter. But, to each his own.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
You know, it's really too bad that there wasn't an optional shifter from the factory for a GT350. Ford could have said from the outset that it would have noticeably increased levels of NVH than the standard unit and that it was geared for track use. Too bad that ship has sailed and the opportunity may never present itself again.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
You know, it's really too bad that there wasn't an optional shifter from the factory for a GT350. Ford could have said from the outset that it would have noticeably increased levels of NVH than the standard unit and that it was geared for track use. Too bad that ship has sailed and the opportunity may never present itself again.
If they had, George would not have had the opportunity to save the day...would be analogous to Ford having had the foresight to not use bolts on the calipers.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Somehow, Ford always leaves room for improvement. Knowing George, he'd have found a way to still make it better.

Regarding the calipers, the engineers would prefer a stud. Thankfully, they couldn't or didn't do it for other reasons.:)

Sponsored

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Regarding the calipers, the engineers would prefer a stud. Thankfully, they couldn't or didn't do it for other reasons.:)
I admire your humility, but the two cases seem similar--input and output wise. In both cases, they are good enough for non-track performance, but fall short of reaching full potential on the track. Not as bad as the the trans/diff cooler fail, but I won't pick that scab :).

Now waiting on you to come up with tamper-resistant Gurney fasteners! :please:

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Let me see what's out there. I have a 2020R knuckle coming for evaluation and along with it there just might be some spoiler related fasteners. We shall see.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Let me see what's out there. I have a 2020R knuckle coming for evaluation and along with it there just might be some spoiler related fasteners. We shall see.
Was under the impression that the 2020R used the GT500 knuckle. Either way, looking forward to seeing the fruits of your labor. Hope it goes well.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Once again, reports from the media on the 2020R knuckle were wrong. I went back and forth with Ford Performance while they sought clarity. I believe they didn't provide an accurate description either. So I'll have regular '15-'20 GT350 knuckles, 2020 GT500 knuckles, and now a 2020 GT350R knuckle. I'll get done what they should have but didn't. Seems so much of their attention has gone towards electrification that they just aren't the same company they used to be. To be expected I suppose.

GT30fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2015 F350 4x4, 2019 GT350 , work trucks
Most any modern day Mustang shifter is going to be a semi-remote design that is rubber bushed throughout for NVH. There is a critical difference between the shifters Ford uses on the Mustang GT and the GT350 though. The factory GT350 is a pendulum design and the GT a single axis design - in general terms. Theoretically, the single axis is what you want for performance as it is more linear. Problem is, Ford dumbs down the shifters via joints in the actuation rod, overly soft bushings, etc.

I've stated this for years now regarding the GT350 shifter - it is a low budget design. Make that very low budget. The composite ball/cup used are a compromise (large tolerances, rapid wear) that affects shift quality negatively as time and mileage are accrued. The reverse lockout mechanism (collar and spring) design is problematic as Ford is trying impart light feel (via a soft spring) that encourages the collar to stick. There is too much deflection in the system and it in part reduces feel and accuracy. Considering the monies spent on the clutch for the 5.2L Voodoo engine as well as the refinements made to the TR3160, the shifter isn't up to snuff and is a rather poor match. Ford is now stuck with it (as are GT350 owners) and is bandaiding what was a poor design to begin with. Admittedly, they can't win here. If they manufacture a more precise shift mechanism (typically costlier, something they don't favor) they will hear complaints related to NVH. If they go the weak wrist path then hard charging enthusiasts complain. So they try to find a balance. Problem here is, the balance went out the window with this car and they are trying to take the edge out of it with a "gentler" mechanism. They did the same thing with the clutch spring, something they keep going back and forth with. IMHO, they needed a focus group for this car with a harder edge.

Well, my dealer did not have the parts to re-do the shifter and told me they were on back order

Based on this,. maybe the recall won't make it all that much better (?)

What shifter do people recommend? Anyone have one installed now in their personal GT350 to offer a review on it, and how is it for street? Did anyone see the change in NVH (Noise, Vibration and Harshness)?

thx!!!

Sponsored

GT30fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
I had a dream about this last night !!! My car kept popping out of gear.
Then I come in here and read your post!!!! Weird!!!! Hope it’s nothing serious with your car.

You didn’t do the recall yet correct?

Correct, no recall done yet. I was wondering if it was my fault, like I didn't move it in place enough or something

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat / 2019 350R #413
Correct, no recall done yet. I was wondering if it was my fault, like I didn't move it in place enough or something
I’ll tell you this, while moving my cars in my driveway, at low speeds, sometimes they pop out of first gear If I was lazy about shifting. Meaning, I kinda just placed it in gear instead of driving it home (if that makes sense).

All three of my cars have done it, and it’s always when I don’t have send the shift all the way in. Maybe that’s what happened to you.

It’s not common for these to pop out of gear.

GT30fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
I’ll tell you this, while moving my cars in my driveway, at low speeds, sometimes they pop out of first gear If I was lazy about shifting. Meaning, I kinda just placed it in gear instead of driving it home (if that makes sense).

All three of my cars have done it, and it’s always when I don’t have send the shift all the way in. Maybe that’s what happened to you.

It’s not common for these to pop out of gear.
Odds are that's it. I am rusty

datadatum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350
This happened to me a few times with the stock shifter. I realized that every now and again, the gear FELT like it was all the way in, but it was really on the edge of engagement. Then under load, it popped out.

I have NEVER had this feeling with the MGW shifter. Every shift must be done to completion, and provides very direct feedback. No extra bothersome NVH, just rifle bolt action shifts.

GT30fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
The MGW sounds promising!!! Anyone else use one on the street?

If the gt350 knob doesn't fit. Would tne stock gt / coyote car knob fit?
Sponsored

Last edited: