Fragged my 6R80, What is this sound?

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Well, out for a blast today, and on a pull from 2–3rd, right at the shift at 7600, lost tranny connection with a good bang sound. Pulled over and tried D and R... It’s engaging, but any input of throttle and it’s grinds bad. Anyone have an idea? Video clip provided.

https://youtu.be/E3FFUnOFFxA
Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Well, out for a blast today, and on a pull from 2–3rd, right at the shift at 7600, lost tranny connection with a good bang sound. Pulled over and tried D and R... It’s engaging, but any input of throttle and it’s grinds bad. Anyone have an idea? Video clip provided.

https://youtu.be/E3FFUnOFFxA
Did you look if the drive shaft is still in one piece ?

OP
OP
Cory S

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Did you look if the drive shaft is still in one piece ?
I didn’t, because the tranny is still connected to the rear and rolls on fiat ground at idle fine. It’s only when I apply any throttle, it starts to slip and grind.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
The MT-82 is a POS. I’ll never own another.

Now, if they had a Tremec option, I’d sell my 6R80 car ASAP for one....
.... famous last words ??

OP
OP
Cory S

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
.... famous last words ??
Yep. I was one of the 3% of the unlucky ones in 2012 on my 13’ Boss 302 that had an MT-82 that would lock you out at a 50% chance anything over 6500rpm. It left a bad taste..... I know they made a couple changes since then, but I’m done with them.

Sponsored

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
I am sorry about your transmission man... ..

That came off wrong . I agree the MT82 is pretty bad . I ended doing a 6r80 auto swap for the one in my 12 .
I also swapped the one in my 15 KB car for Magnum XL .

10 years ago you would not have been able to convince me to buy an automatic mustang but 2 out of the last 3 I bought are (6r80 and 10r80).

There is a built 6r80 on eBay I have been watching and considering for a “spare “ but you may want to take a look .

OP
OP
Cory S

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I am sorry about your transmission man... ..

There is a built 6r80 on eBay I have been watching and considering for a “spare “ but you may want to take a look .
Thanks. Yeah I think I just saw that one, but it still has the stock forward planetary gear.(I believe) I’m thinking that’s what failed today on mine....

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good point . Might as well just rebuild yours then .

I added the gears when I rebuilt mine the second time . Previously had the billet shaft and clutches when it lost the OSS signal on the dyno. (Car would not start ).

Turned out the OSS bushing had “walked”.
Excedy clutches were showing some wear so I replaced them too .
Not bad cost wise ... less than that “built “ transmission on eBay . Lol

Only downside was the downtime .
That’s why I am always on the look out for “spare “ stuff . Just swap and go if you need it and rebuild broken one to keep as spare .
Lol

OP
OP
Cory S

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Good point . Might as well just rebuild yours then .

I added the gears when I rebuilt mine the second time . Previously had the billet shaft and clutches when it lost the OSS signal on the dyno. (Car would not start ).

Turned out the OSS bushing had “walked”.
Excedy clutches were showing some wear so I replaced them too .
Not bad cost wise ... less than that “built “ transmission on eBay . Lol

Only downside was the downtime .
That’s why I am always on the look out for “spare “ stuff . Just swap and go if you need it and rebuild broken one to keep as spare .
Lol
Honestly, if I had a lift in my garage, I would probably yank it out and start to learn. It’s my 1st auto Mustang ever owned. This will take a few weeks to even figure out what I am going to do. I have 2 other vehicles, so I’m good with getting to work.

OP
OP
Cory S

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
After a lot of research, chatting, comparing sounds, and symptoms, it looks like it's just the torque converter that failed.

I think I will be going with a Circle D 258mm Stage lll (3200-3400 stall) Recommended for PD blower cars.

Sponsored

JRodSan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue GT
After a lot of research, chatting, comparing sounds, and symptoms, it looks like it's just the torque converter that failed.

I think I will be going with a Circle D 258mm Stage lll (3200-3400 stall) Recommended for PD blower cars.
This happened to me 2 weeks ago. It was the converter that crapped. Same exact noise. Good luck with the swap. Let me know how it goes.

OP
OP
Cory S

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
This happened to me 2 weeks ago. It was the converter that crapped. Same exact noise. Good luck with the swap. Let me know how it goes.
Went great. The new converter works great. Attached pic of fragged T/C internals. Let’s see what breaks next!
696A9BA1-AFAE-4E61-8DCB-1D6617FFC6F6.png

RalphK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
How much other metal was pumped through the rest of the tranny?

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Probably not much, the rate of fluid transfer from inside the converter to the inside of the trans isn't super fast or anything. Not only that but the centrifugal force probably kept the metal planted on the outer rim where it couldn't do any more harm.

OP
OP
Cory S

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Not a thing. Large pieces floating around inside the converter. We did flush the lines, and do a fluid/filter change as well. Car is shifting and running awesome.
Sponsored