Exhaust melted my rear bumber

Meat coyote racing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
So, in a quest to quiet down my car (crazy thought for mustang owner), I have melted my rear bumper.

I have a supercharged mustang with a full 3" exhaust that I needed quieting down because I'm moving to Germany. I have a Pypes system that I cut off the last 13.75 in. and installed Vibrant ultra quiet resonators on each pipe where it meets the exhaust hanger.

The approximate distance from the new resonators and the bumper was approximately 12 in. from where the tip ended and the plastic bumper began; the tips of the resonator are tucked under the car and don't stick out of the back like a stock system. With the newly installed resonators, the angle in which they were positioned was (I assume) about 5° tilted and angled higher than original. Standing from the rear, I could clearly observe the pipes angling and pointing out of the holes of my rear valence (just 5° pointed higher)

Long story short, I went out and did a hard pull from 3rd all the way to the top of 5th. The Nguage said my cat temperature got up to 1900° (ridiculous) when I pulled my foot off the gas. The end result is pictured below. I think I can get away hiding the damage by getting a new rear valence. However, I have to buy a new taillight wiring harness and bumper support.

Lesson learned: angles matter and I suck. Good thing I'm in quarantine so people can't see me cry....I can't look myself in the mirror lol
20200419_224957.jpg
20200419_225312.jpg
20200419_225321.jpg
20200419_225349.jpg
71126.jpeg
71127.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
Ouch! That's gonna be an expensive lesson.

Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Every misfortune has an opportunity. Now you can put a custom rear difuser on it. Might even cost less than OEM.

RaceRed5.0

Threads
Reaction score
From Texas to Louisana to California back to Texas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 3.55, Modded 2006 Pontiac G6
That exhaust had to been glowing.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
So, in a quest to quiet down my car (crazy thought for mustang owner), I have melted my rear bumper.

I have a supercharged mustang with a full 3" exhaust that I needed quieting down because I'm moving to Germany. I have a Pypes system that I cut off the last 13.75 in. and installed Vibrant ultra quiet resonators on each pipe where it meets the exhaust hanger.

The approximate distance from the new resonators and the bumper was approximately 12 in. from where the tip ended and the plastic bumper began; the tips of the resonator are tucked under the car and don't stick out of the back like a stock system. With the newly installed resonators, the angle in which they were positioned was (I assume) about 5° tilted and angled higher than original. Standing from the rear, I could clearly observe the pipes angling and pointing out of the holes of my rear valence (just 5° pointed higher)

Long story short, I went out and did a hard pull from 3rd all the way to the top of 5th. The Nguage said my cat temperature got up to 1900° (ridiculous) when I pulled my foot off the gas. The end result is pictured below. I think I can get away hiding the damage by getting a new rear valence. However, I have to buy a new taillight wiring harness and bumper support.

Lesson learned: angles matter and I suck. Good thing I'm in quarantine so people can't see my cry....I can't look myself in the mirror lol
20200419_224957.jpg
20200419_225312.jpg
20200419_225321.jpg
20200419_225349.jpg
71126.jpeg
71127.jpeg
out of curiosity, were you purposefully trying to hide the exhaust - so that it could not be seen from the rear?

Only asking because reading your post, it seems you had intent on hiding the exhaust by terminating it shorter, not installing exhaust tips and angling it higher than normal.

Back in the Fox days, doing what you did would be to go tailpipe-less and dumping the exhaust under the middle of the car. Use of turn downs is a must, otherwise you’re heating the entire underside of the car and if catless, add to the list of choking yourself out at idle while at stoplights...

I would get under the car and make sure there’s no other heat damages aside from what you already found.

I would also check your tune if you’re running THAT hot...

Sponsored
OP
OP
Meat coyote racing

Meat coyote racing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Thats an extremely high cat temp. Makes me think something else is wrong.
I was data logging when I did the pulls, I came home and the log looks fine. The car made around 800 wheel. I know supercharged stangs and cats are risky; however, the fact that they start to melt at 2,000° and I was at 1900° is horrifying

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Thats an extremely high cat temp. Makes me think something else is wrong.
Makes me think that cat disintegrated plugged the pipe, heat built up like crazy and that's the end result.

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Melted rear bumper....sounds like a personal problem :giggle:

TC

OP
OP
Meat coyote racing

Meat coyote racing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Makes me think that cat disintegrated plugged the pipe, heat built up like crazy and that's the end result.
This comment literally scared me into removing the entire exhaust system. I can report that after removing the header midpipe, I have confirmed the cats are still intact. Moreover, they look PERFECT :whew:.

The only thing I observed was my downstream O2 sensors were orange as f*** from Boostane . :rockon:
Sponsored