Sponsored

Have you had false knock and solved the issue?

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
As the title states, have any of you ever dealt with false knock and ended up resolving it? I'm trying to figure out where to look. I get false knock throughout the RPM range when I go WOT, and it's driving me crazy.

I'm aware that the exhaust system is typically the issue, but after looking over my entire exhaust system, I don't see any rubbing. As for the A/C bracket bolt, I cut it off with a hack saw, so it shouldn't be touching my StainlessWorks headers.

One thing I can think of is the inlet tube for my JLT intake--the tube that connects to the stock grill and that enters the airbox is loose. Maybe that's it?

Help!

SEE POST #10 FOR VIDEO
Sponsored

Last edited:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, on mine only caused by super quick shifts. No, haven't solved it. It's related to the quantity of engine roll since I can hear something hitting/briefly rattling right after going WOT after the upshift.

Keo_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2017 S550 GT Premium Ignot Silver
Add octane booster and see if it gets rid of it. I run 93 and add a can of octanium. Before I added octanium I would get knock some occasions.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Add octane booster and see if it gets rid of it. I run 93 and add a can of octanium. Before I added octanium I would get knock some occasions.
Octanium would fix real knock not false knock.

Sponsored

Keo_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2017 S550 GT Premium Ignot Silver
Octanium would fix real knock not false knock.
OP said he gets “false” knock throughout the RPM range during WOT. Sounds like real knock to me. False is during shifts.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
OP said he gets “false” knock throughout the RPM range during WOT. Sounds like real knock to me. False is during shifts.
I'd agree, but it can still be false. If he tries octanium 100 octane or E85 and is still getting knock, it's false.

OP
OP
Joe 5.0

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
I'll give E85 a try again. However, I'm convinced it's false knock, and it's driving me nuts.

If I'm light on the throttle going up the RPM range, the car feels great. If I stomp on it, it feels like a dud.

Aside from the A/C bracket bolt, exhaust and exhaust clamps, etc., I'm out of places to look.

I just don't get it. It's incredibly frustrating when you mod your car to be faster, but it doesn't run optimally.

sabtaj1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT, 1965 Fairlane 500 wagon
Did you use mostly all the factory studs when doing the headers? Ive heard of people using them and they may touch on certain tubes of the header causing false knock...

OP
OP
Joe 5.0

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
Could this be the knock? Banging on the xpipe with a rubber mallet. The clamps are tight, but it looks like the xpipe isn’t shoved in all the way (look on right side of video).

Sponsored

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Had a friend dealing with false knock for a long time with his Roush setup that he nor I installed. He upgraded to a Whipple gen5 that I did install and during disassembly, this was in the engine valley. Needless to say, we didn’t leave it there and he’s had no false knock since the new install. No way I’d say this is a problem someone has and it was a first for me to see. A metal ping pong ball right where the knock sensors are.

12601CEF-940C-4465-8D4E-BB6A11369E04.jpeg

OP
OP
Joe 5.0

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
Had a friend dealing with false knock for a long time with his Roush setup that he nor I installed. He upgraded to a Whipple gen5 that I did install and during disassembly, this was in the engine valley. Needless to say, we didn’t leave it there and he’s had no false knock since the new install. No way I’d say this is a problem someone has and it was a first for me to see. A metal ping pong ball right where the knock sensors are.

12601CEF-940C-4465-8D4E-BB6A11369E04.jpeg
Might as well hold the knock sensors in your hand while driving and shake them on a WOT pull. That’s crazy. Glad you discovered and fixed the issue!

OP
OP
Joe 5.0

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
Bump. Still suffering.

Thinking of buying BMR motor mounts to either raise or lower the motor to try and make the knock go away.

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
Do you park your car over the winter? When I removed my stock intake manifold to install the 18 on it, there were nuts that some critter decided to stash in there over winter. May be something to consider especially if you park it outside.

OP
OP
Joe 5.0

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
Do you park your car over the winter? When I removed my stock intake manifold to install the 18 on it, there were nuts that some critter decided to stash in there over winter. May be something to consider especially if you park it outside.
I drive it from time to time in the winter. It's stored in the garage when not being driven. Definitely something to consider!
Sponsored