OEM Style HUD Display with no Mirrors

pctek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium DIB 401A
I had the Raxiom OBDII Guage pod that sat in my A/C vent. That thing was so inaccurate since it did not read the data stream correctly. This device also plugs into the OBDII port. Their web site gives VERY LITTLE info on this device, so I would not put much stock in it's speed readout until more people start posting reviews. As with other comments here, I don't like the readout being off to the right. I want it right the center between the steering wheel. I had GM vehicle that had it in the middle and I loved it.
Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Exactly. Hence my reasoning behind keeping the font plain and basic.
He didn't say __not__ plain and basic, he said dated, because it's using a 7-segment LED / font - there's been notable developments in typography to improve readability, if it was an LCD panel/projector, they could do all sorts of things to improve readability/visibility (though based on their pricing, that would be a $1000 part ...)

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
GM's HUD works rather well. But more than a HUD I wish there was a way to recess the rear-view mirror out of the way so I can actually see thru the corners. A HUD projection of the rear-view camera low and centered would be preferable.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
GM's HUD works rather well. But more than a HUD I wish there was a way to recess the rear-view mirror out of the way so I can actually see thru the corners. A HUD projection of the rear-view camera low and centered would be preferable.
Cool idea. I like it. It's a lot more complex than a typical modern HUD, but if it was well executed it would be helpful.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
It's this piece in front of the driver's side gauge cowl near the windshield. On GT350's and GT500's, there's a shift light HUD.
20200226_122005.jpg
Still too close to central for me, at least as far as speedometer, tachometer, or possibly coolant temperature displays are concerned.

That said, I do run a Velcro-mounted Aeroforce gauge for its upshift indicator function on the dash top over on the passenger side of center during track days, but it comes off the rest of the time because I just don't need it for street driving.

Norm

Last edited:

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
You are driving your car. Without needing to take your eyes off the road.
If your comment was implying that you’ve never used a form of navigation (gps or physical map/directions) and/or have never searched the radio/usb for a song while driving, well, you’re a liar. Having this information on a HUD lessens distractions by keeping a driver’s eyes towards the road instead of an infotainment screen, phone, or other physical item that is not part of the windshield.
The level of distraction may well be less during such times that you're actively looking for displayed information.

But when that information is in front of your face all of the time, the HUD ends up 'stealing' that lesser amount of your attention a lot more of the time. Eyes tend to be attracted to motion, which includes changes in numeric values being displayed. Just sayin' . . .

Norm

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
The level of distraction may well be less during such times that you're actively looking for displayed information.

But when that information is in front of your face all of the time, the HUD ends up 'stealing' that lesser amount of your attention a lot more of the time. Eyes tend to be attracted to motion, which includes changes in numeric values being displayed. Just sayin' . . .

Norm
Oddly enough, this may not be totally true. My Camaro is not my first vehicle with a HUD and will more than likely not be my last. I’m used to driving vehicles with HUD. For the most part, I forget it’s there until I need to see something it displays (speed, rpm, nav instruction, song that’s playing, g-force). The rest of the time it isn’t even background noise, even though it is in the line of vision. Ever notice that you cannot see the tip of your nose until you put your finger on it? It’s because, even though it is within your field of vision, your brain processes it out until you want to see it.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
actually I have to deliberately look at the HUD. Even though it shows speed and RPM, I have alife-long habit of looking at the gauges which drops my sight-line a lot lower than the HUD. A fighter-jet style display which you have to look thru and can read at 'infinity focus' would be far better but the $$$ would be nuts. I nav by ear instead of looking away, or take glances at it when stopped. My parents have the GPS up on the dash and on constantly which bugs me to no end. I would love if all touch-screen operations ceased (did not respond) when the car was rolling faster than 10 MPH. You have buttons and knobs that don't require distraction to manipulate for the radio, volume, environment so just use them? The Tesla model is the epitomy of computer guys thinking they are car guys and doing EVERYTHING wrong - from human factors to basic safety controls.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Oddly enough, this may not be totally true. My Camaro is not my first vehicle with a HUD and will more than likely not be my last. I’m used to driving vehicles with HUD. For the most part, I forget it’s there until I need to see something it displays
I know what you're getting at - I can ignore dashtop instrumentation that intrudes only a little around the periphery of the windshield or only barely above the hood line. But that means it's out of central vision and a lot easier to ignore or "process out".

In the Mustang, I actually use the A-pillar gauge for checking speed and coolant temperature far more than I use the IP speedometer and "temperature gauge" even in my street driving - it's that much more readily available. The other stuff is only there for track day datalogging purposes and I don't look at them at all during a session.

This was taken from a few inches to the right of my normal head position, so that other dashtop stuff is normally little further off the "road" for me than it appears to be in the picture. It just so happens that the picture was a screen-shot from a little video clip where I was busy catching a little tailhappiness courtesy of finding some coolant dropped by another car. Didn't need or want to know how fast I was going or anything else at that particular moment.

Found some coolant.jpg

Norm

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
Trying a different HUD MPH-only display. Price has come down a lot, and choices increased.

Pictures showing display without and with the supplied projection surface. Looks as if it will be sufficiently visible and interpretable without, but crisper with.

HeadUpPyle12_A_DSCN7078.jpg
HeadUpPyle12_B_DSCN7085.jpg

I'll like it if it works like the earlier ones, allowing me to see speed without dropping my gaze all the way to the in-dash display. If it's satisfactory in that way, I'll be able to use the dash display to monitor other functions, such as MPG, without pushing buttons, which I experience as distractions.

It was a habit-forming exercise to have the previous digital HUD MPH display. I really can't imagine retraining to use the analog speed-o-meter.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
you know there's a digital speed readout in the middle display so you don't have to try to 'parse' the traditional guage. Though why +/- 5mph matters I know not. I get that a speedo is a good thing to have because if I had to regulate my speed by wind noise or engine revs, I'd be driving over 75mph all the damn time.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
It's this piece in front of the driver's side gauge cowl near the windshield. On GT350's and GT500's, there's a shift light HUD.
On my car, with the safe and smart package, those lights are the collision warning.

and in regards to the blind spot info, in theory, you’d know that you aren’t able to change lanes without looking at your mirror (of course, if the indicator isn’t showing a car, you still should obviously look before changing lanes - the idea presented is you’d know a car is next to you without needing to take your eyes off the road before visually/actively checking, if that makes sense)
I watched a Doug DeMuro video the other day for the new Hyundai Sonata. The dash is similar to the "normal" setting on my digital dash, two round gauges for the tach and speedo. When you turn on the signal, the appropriate gauge disappears and you get a camera view of that side of the car and the blind spot in the adjacent lane. Very cool and virtually eliminates the "I didn't see the car" line.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Very cool and virtually eliminates the "I didn't see the car" line.
yet another $$ technology "solution" in search of a problem. Turn yu'r freaking head and LOOK! What's next, no more windows and everything done by peering at the 'smart' screen in front of your nose?

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
yet another $$ technology "solution" in search of a problem. Turn yu'r freaking head and LOOK! What's next, no more windows and everything done by peering at the 'smart' screen in front of your nose?
My wife turned her head to look and therefore didn't see the guy in front of her slam on his brakes. She ended up tapping him at under 5 mph. Her Outback didn't have a mark. The plastic license plate frame on the Outback did buckle the rear fender on the F150 in front of her, with $1900 damage as a result.
Sponsored