Sponsored

How many of you switched from manual to auto with the 2018+?

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
Traded 17 manual eco boost on 19 GT A10, looking at adds right now for a cheap manual vehicle to kick around in.
Sponsored

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I drove a Fiero, then a Dodge Daytona Turbo, then a Plymouth Laser RS, then an 04 Mustang, then a '14 Mustang, all with a manual, then switched to the A10 with the '18. I do kinda miss shifting sometimes, but the more I work with the paddles, the more the A10 feels like it gives me some of the same control.

13razorbackfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
As others have mentioned these new auto transmissions are so much better than the automatics I grew up driving although my first truck and sports cars were manuals and had a blast driving them. This new 10r80 is in a whole other league IMO

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
I test drove both a lot. Spent days with each. I bought the manual. But only because I wanted a fully loaded car. I decided if I want a “race car” to buy a base and a auto. If I wanted a loaded daily then a manual. If I was in the lot to buy another one I’d do it all over again just get the Orange Fury. Only thing I’d change. I do know the auto is way faster then mine, but I honestly don’t care, always someone faster.

Mustang Tony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT 10R80 PP1 401A Magneride
The '18 was my first performance car that was an auto. Don't miss the manual one bit. Older now, shifting a stick in Los Angeles sucks. Happy with my choice.

Sponsored

wjfawb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I have had two STIs, NA miata, 02 GT, 03 Cobra, and now a 15 GT all with manuals. I prefer having complete control over lockup between the engine and transmission. I feel the same way with my jeep wrangler when offroad or in traffic. The delay in lockup to get going and then the lack of engine braking immediately on gas pedal release makes me hate autos in traffic. I've got arthritis, and I still want a manual. When you talk about curves and hills, then I feel the predictability of the manual drivetrain slack is preferred there too. I haven't driven a 10R80, but I have been considering getting rid of my 15 GT 6spd for a 19 GT auto so my wife could drive it too. I don't know if it would be worth the money, especially after the time I've spent adding a subwoofer to the trunk and upgrading/amplifying the base speakers in my base GT. I'll probably test drive one to see what it's like. Half th etime when I'm driving my 2010 F150 5.4L I engage the tow/haul mode so I can get engine braking on hills and longer gear holding before upshifting. Torque management and fuel economy programming with throttle by wire can be a real buzzkill.

OP
OP
W.O.T. Stang

W.O.T. Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1 401A
I have had two STIs, NA miata, 02 GT, 03 Cobra, and now a 15 GT all with manuals. I prefer having complete control over lockup between the engine and transmission. I feel the same way with my jeep wrangler when offroad or in traffic. The delay in lockup to get going and then the lack of engine braking immediately on gas pedal release makes me hate autos in traffic. I've got arthritis, and I still want a manual. When you talk about curves and hills, then I feel the predictability of the manual drivetrain slack is preferred there too. I haven't driven a 10R80, but I have been considering getting rid of my 15 GT 6spd for a 19 GT auto so my wife could drive it too. I don't know if it would be worth the money, especially after the time I've spent adding a subwoofer to the trunk and upgrading/amplifying the base speakers in my base GT. I'll probably test drive one to see what it's like. Half th etime when I'm driving my 2010 F150 5.4L I engage the tow/haul mode so I can get engine braking on hills and longer gear holding before upshifting. Torque management and fuel economy programming with throttle by wire can be a real buzzkill.
I was in the same boat as you. Vowed to never stop driving manual. But once I put some good test drive time in on the 10r80 (especially track and drag mode / manual mode) I was sold! yes. It can get “boring” at times, but the right driving mode and pressure of your right foot can change that quickly.

If you get the chance to drive one; do it. You’ll either love it or stick with a manual.

Vegas5OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 PP
i have a stick 2016. The only 18+ to look at is 10 speed auto cars.

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
The 16 GT is my first auto car in a very long time. For a DD it's a whole lot friendlier. That said, aftermarket tuners need to brush up on shift and throttle control. Getting peak power on the rollers doesn't always translate into good street manners.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
LOL, I traded my 2010 Hyundai Sonata manual for the Mustang auto. Probably not what the OP was talking about but technically accurate!

Sponsored

Fetlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT MT
I looked at the automatic, because it seemed stupid not to. Faster and better mileage, but it just wasn't as interesting to me. Sometimes I like letting it unwind, sometimes I like just driving like 'a normal human' as my son would put it. This way I am always in control. I know there are the different modes for the auto, but still it doesn't seem quite the same. I want the car to do exactly what I want, when I want and I'm willing to let a half second go for that.

13razorbackfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
I was in the same boat as you. Vowed to never stop driving manual. But once I put some good test drive time in on the 10r80 (especially track and drag mode / manual mode) I was sold! yes. It can get “boring” at times, but the right driving mode and pressure of your right foot can change that quickly.

If you get the chance to drive one; do it. You’ll either love it or stick with a manual.
I concur. I love changing between the modes, especially drag mode, and just letting the computer determine the best shift point and keep the car in its powerband. It's simply a blast although I wouldn't mind a 6 speed Tremec too! The new GT500 is pretty bad to the bone. Would make a nice investment

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
I switched from the 6 speed manual in my 2018 GT to the new 10 speed Auto in my 2020 GT. This trans gets it done in style I really enjoy the Auto even though I have had Stick Shift most of my life.

Cobrakit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PREMIUM PP1
And if you have to shift, the A10 does have paddle shifters which make the car shift faster than you can shift manual.

5-OH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
If Ford would’ve gone with a tremec magnum 6spd, I wouldn’t have bought an auto, but unfortunately they made a deal with the Pella glass transmission company (aka Getrag).
Sponsored