2019fordmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Omar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, BMW 545i, Mercedes E550, Mercedes E320, Kia Sorento V6
Hello friends!

I need some guidance on how to release the clutch when driving quick. I feel like the clutch pedal releases so quick and there is a jerk. I also don't want to slip in the clutch and burn it out. Also with MT 82 shifting quick is quite the work.

Is it quiet normal to feel a jerk when the clutch grabs the flywheel quickly or is it bad for the clutch and transmission.

After few months of driving I still can't get a good grasp of the biting point. I don't have issues with clutch control when driving normally.
Sponsored

Last edited:

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
You have to let the clutch slip, especially off the line. That's what it's made for. That's how it works, that's how all clutches work.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Hello friends! I'm having a hard time getting a sense of clutch in 19 mustang GT. After few months of driving I still can't get a good grasp of the biting point. I only had one other manual car about 10 yrs ago and it was Mazda Protege so can't really compare the two. I don't have issues with clutch control when driving normally.

I need some guidance on how to release the clutch when driving quick. I feel like the clutch pedal releases so quick and there is a jerk. I also don't want to slip in the clutch and burn it out. Also with MT 82 shifting quick is quite the work.

Is it quiet normal to feel a jerk when the clutch grabs the flywheel quickly or is it bad for the clutch and transmission.
You may want to try the Steeda clutch spring. https://www.steeda.com/steeda-mustang-clutch-spring-assist-spring-perch-kit-555-7027.html
Those that have it, love it.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
You may want to try the Steeda clutch spring. https://www.steeda.com/steeda-mustang-clutch-spring-assist-spring-perch-kit-555-7027.html
Those that have it, love it.
I had it, and put the OEM spring back in. All it does is make the pedal heavier, it's doesn't improve feel.

The lighter clutch pedal makes proper clutching easier.

The issue with Mustang clutches is that there's 0 feed-back through the pedal. Ford needs to go back to a cable system, to provide feed-back.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I had it, and put the OEM spring back in. All it does is make the pedal heavier, it's doesn't improve feel.

The lighter clutch pedal makes proper clutching easier.

The issue with Mustang clutches is that there's 0 feed-back through the pedal. Ford needs to go back to a cable system, to provide feed-back.
I don't have an issue with the OEM spring. I spent a lot of time driving around downtown in stop and go traffic. You get to learn the feel of it pretty quick doing that. I was going to go the Steeda route but don't see a point now.

Sponsored

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
If your driving the car hard, slow and steady on the clutch/ shifter. I've found that to be the best with the mustang. If I'm accelerating quick but shifting early and not ready driving hard, I can slam through gears with very quick shifts. If I'm really wrapping it out, passed 6k rpms (ish), the quick shift can cause lockout or an occasional jerky shift. A smooth pull of the shifter has proven very efficient and effective for me.

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
Op..chuck your pedal assist spring..that real clutch pedal feel will help you achieve your quick shifts in a manner more to your liking..

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Twin disc clutches actually prefer a quick release so you're not hurting that, but something is always going to be under stress. You just have to time your gas pedal better

What I do, when power shifting, is let the clutch depress as quickly as my left foot is able to come off the floor. I don't just dump it, but I'm not slipping it either. I'm then pressing the gas at the same time so it's at the floor at the same time the clutch is fully engaged. The clutch disengages pretty high, so I'll shift gears to the same beat so I'm releasing the clutch the very instant it hits the floor. Very smooth (excluding tire chirping) and quick shifts doing this. I know my feet will be moving at the same speed (or close enough) so I make sure I just do it without thinking. If I start to think about my movements then I goof up.

ChromaticGrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
Give just a bit more of a pause between shifts. The car dose a stupid "rev hang", which will help the majority of the public shift comfortably. The downside is if you want to go 1 to 2 quick(or any gear really, just 1 -2 is more pronounced/noticeable), your revs will be too high as you let out the clutch, causing a lurch. You can slip the clutch more. But if you go quick in and out, you're gonna get a bit of mis matched revs. I wish there was a way to disable the damn rev hang "feature".

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
You may want to try the Steeda clutch spring
it doesn't help with finding the bite point though. What it does do is let you know when you've taken up the slack in the pedal and you're now exerting pressure on the master cylinder and thus causing the plates to start to slip. So if you want to only partially apply pressure (feather the clutch) it's very helpful. If you practice you'll be able to figure out just how much you need to move the ball of your foot to just disengage the clutch and can shift into the next gear (it's less than an inch). There's absolutely no need to push the pedal to the floor.

If you just want to slam gears, buy a sequential transmission - they are designed for that.

OP probably needs to adjust his seat till he finds the right setting so that controlling that bite point is comfortable and consistent. Try swapping between 4 different manual cars every couple days (1 cable, 3 hydraulic). Some of my initial pullaways have been embarrassingly bad. But now that each car has the seat in the right spot I don't flub it like before.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Learn the bite point of your clutch.... spend a month starting from a standstill and get the car moving with no throttle, just idle. Learn that bite point..

Once learned, giving throttle during a shift (and/or how much) will become intuitive.

FruityJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
To take off. Hold clutch and gas to the floor, let foot slide off the side of clutch. Perfect launch everytime

ALLSTOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda Accord LX 5MT, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2
try the steeda spring. its cheap.

made a night and day difference for me.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
To take off. Hold clutch and gas to the floor, let foot slide off the side of clutch. Perfect launch everytime
and broken differential bolts pretty soon too.
Sponsored