Stymee

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Well I went to the live feed going on now, I asked when will the Odin be dynoed on a stock GT at say 10lbs on 93?

They’re response, when we get a car

Hmmmmm?
Sponsored

ColeTrickle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandin
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP, 09 G8 GT, 00 SS Camaro Conv
Let me know if Magnuson/VMP need a stock test car out here in So cal for calibration. I have Worked with Magnuson in the past and they were great.

Kit looks great hopefully they can nail the 91 tune.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Well I went to the live feed going on now, I asked when will the Odin be dynoed on a stock GT at say 10lbs on 93?
They’re response, when we get a car
Hmmmmm?
LOL
That would be awesome! :clap:

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
I am sure that this is a very good kit. I don't know much about VMPs tuning capabilities or how responsive they are with customer requests but if they can tune it to have great drivability and reasonable engine safety in addition to strong performance, it should be very popular.

The retail pricing isn't bad considering that it comes with their custom tuning and support as well as the big injectors and boost-a-pump. I wouldn't be surprised to see it go on sale in February. Several vendors have sales around Valentines day or Presidents day. If this kit could be bought for under $8000, it would be a good buy, IMHO.

OP
OP
Stymee

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I am sure that this is a very good kit. I don't know much about VMPs tuning capabilities or how responsive they are with customer requests but if they can tune it to have great drivability and reasonable engine safety in addition to strong performance, it should be very popular.

The retail pricing isn't bad considering that it comes with their custom tuning and support as well as the big injectors and boost-a-pump. I wouldn't be surprised to see it go on sale in February. Several vendors have sales around Valentines day or Presidents day. If this kit could be bought for under $8000, it would be a good buy, IMHO.

Still wanna see it in a 3rd parties hands

Sponsored

Furiosa GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
I didn't read through the whole thread but this kit is more expensive than a Whipple or Edelbrock kit any way you SLICE it. The Whipple at the same boost looks to make just as much power. Why would we choose this over the other options?

Beano

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phillip
Vehicle(s)
FGX XR8 and 2016 Mustang GT, Both supercharged
^^ It depends where in the rpm band you want to make power. The TVS-style blowers hit much harder, earlier, whilst the Whipple will make a bit more at the top-end, but hit softer in mid-range....

I would also be interested in seeing the adiabatic efficiency curves, I would bet the TVS would be more efficient than the Whipple. But horses for courses, it is all about what type of power you want where....good to have a great selection of Supercharger-technologies available, including turbos and NOS.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
The VMP comes with custom tuning and support from VMP....not a canned tune. That is worth a few hundred bucks more than a stage 2 Edelbrock or Whipple. The tuning device is not included, however, so that would add to the VMP price.

An Edelbrock tuner kit with their big TB, 1000cc injectors, BAP, custom tuning and nGuage from Lund or PBD is a bit less expensive than the VMP. You can also price out a Whipple tuner kit and be a under the VMP.

Having the newest kit, VMP probably feels that they can price it up pretty high. There will be discounts at some point.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
The VMP comes with custom tuning and support from VMP....not a canned tune. That is worth a few hundred bucks more than a stage 2 Edelbrock or Whipple. The tuning device is not included, however, so that would add to the VMP price.

An Edelbrock tuner kit with their big TB, 1000cc injectors, BAP, custom tuning and nGuage from Lund or PBD is a bit less expensive than the VMP. You can also price out a Whipple tuner kit and be a under the VMP.

Having the newest kit, VMP probably feels that they can price it up pretty high. There will be discounts at some point.
I'm sure in the end this will be a great performing kit but I wouldn't touch it for a year personally. Unless you have a successful YouTube channel or a sponsored driver. As an everyday average mustang owner, If you're going to blow your power train warranty or take the chance of blowing an engine, you might as well go with an equal performing kit that has been field tested for over a year on 18+'s. Like a whipple.

Sponsored

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
I'm sure in the end this will be a great performing kit but I wouldn't touch it for a year personally. Unless you have a successful YouTube channel or a sponsored driver. As an everyday average mustang owner, If you're going to blow your power train warranty or take the chance of blowing an engine, you might as well go with an equal performing kit that has been field tested for over a year on 18+'s. Like a whipple.
Yeah, I would be in no hurry to get a VMP kit. I don't really see a compelling advantage over the Edelbrock. I prefer the TVS design over a Whipple and the VMP design may prove to be the best use of the TVS. Still, I want to see some in the field before I would go for the VMP.

ColeTrickle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandin
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP, 09 G8 GT, 00 SS Camaro Conv
Yeah, I would be in no hurry to get a VMP kit. I don't really see a compelling advantage over the Edelbrock. I prefer the TVS design over a Whipple and the VMP design may prove to be the best use of the TVS. Still, I want to see some in the field before I would go for the VMP.
I have owned several CA compliant Magnuson kits over the years and have never had a single issue. The fact that VMP and Magnuson are working together will be great for the community. I hope they can offer a bolt on trouble free kit that flat works on 91 octane. The Edelbrock kit is very nice but honestly they have had way too many issues with the stock calibration for me to go that route.

Time will tell but options are good.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
I have pretty much concluded that a custom tune is a requirement for any boosted application to get good drivability, safety and performance. I realize that kills any powertrain warranty that may otherwise be available.

OP
OP
Stymee

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I have pretty much concluded that a custom tune is a requirement for any boosted application to get good drivability, safety and performance. I realize that kills any powertrain warranty that may otherwise be available.
Performance is key, Roush has great drivability but repeated performance on the 18+ kit not so much. Sad because the 15-17 kits ran good from a performance standpoint.

Right now it’s Whipple or Edelbrock at 9-10psi, pick your tuner, keep rpm to about 7500 and splash with a additive on good 93.

We should get lots of miles and fun from a build like that :thumbsup:

Draklia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I wouldn’t count on the VMP tuning to be any better that the other manufacturers tunes that come on the kits out there. Seems to me that when a company sells the hardware that’s where the attention is focused, meaning making money selling the kits and making the tune just good enough so new buyers can say it works “just okay” and go on living with the fact that they are going to purchase a custom tune elsewhere. VMP may have been a top dog in tuning years ago, but seems like any of the companies selling FI kits the tuning is not as good as they will say it is. They all know that there has never been a $7000+ hardware kit returned because the tune that came with the kit wasn’t good enough. They know once the buyer has put the effort into installing FI it isn’t coming back for a refund, so they only have to do a so-so job in writing tunes now adays.
Sponsored