2019 Mustang GT adding active exhaust problems

turbosicks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
Hello all. I've learned so much lurking on this forum and appreciate all the knowledge and help that is here. It's been incredible what some have accomplished. A little long winded, so please bear with me.

We ordered an 2019 GT convertible last year with auto, PP1, magneride, Safe and Smart, active exhaust and the B&O. It took forever to be built (assuming because of the Magneride) but we were watching on Cotus when it was still available. After months, finally I get a window sticker and something didn't seem right. I'm looking, and looking and finally it hits me - no AE. I was pissed off and called the dealer but at that point, besides getting a refund and trying to order again, that was that. My wife really wanted the car so we accepted it.

While doing research, I saw that it was easier and cheaper to add the exhaust myself later! All is good at this point since I figure I can do this myself. Well, as we all know, with the 2019, it isn't that easy. Learned that after buying the harnesses and the mufflers of course.

Here's where I am with this. As stated by someone in the other thread, Ford will not tell the dealer what needs to be changed to fire up my active exhaust. They say it's not a factory order and they don't support "modified" PCMs. I think that's idiotic as it's a FACTORY OPTION that was missed by the dealer. So that's a no go from the engineers.

The mufflers are installed and I changed the option in the IPC via Forscan. I found the exact same car with the active exhaust and another dealer let me go there and take the PCM as built data which I did via Forscan. I narrowed it down to some different lines that I try to change on the PCM but the car won't accept a line by line change although it will let me load the complete PCM data from the other car. At neither point am I able to change the exhaust modes nor do I get an error in the dash. Anyone have any ideas on the programming or anything else to look at? I have the relay installed and just so you know, it doesn't matter which way the relays are put in the way the coil and contact arrangement is. I was hoping I would be successful and narrow it down in order to share my findings but looks like will need info or help from another car.

I would be more than happy to share the lines I changed in the PCM if someone could share their As built so we can compare and see what happens.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Sponsored

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
As far as I know there’s only one person to get it worked out on a 2019 and he had his dealer do it. There are no details other than that. Unless he can get the details from his dealer to share I think we are stuck. It’s all in the big AE thread on here.

I wanted to add it to my 2019 as well but sold all my stuff because of the issues other 2019 owners are running into.

50racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black/Black GT Premium A10 PP1 Magnaride
Turbo, I like you have a 2019 auto, PP1, magneride, Safe and Smart. I bought the harnesses and the car already had the fuses relays etc. Now I have not purchased the actuators yet, but I did just alter the as built data only the 720-10-01 and it activated it on the dash. I can change modes without error. Taking a multimeter to the harnesses there is power on them. Now some people in that thread seem to think you need to alter 720-04-01 for 2019. I disagree. Now my reason for disagreement is that I searched and downloaded as built files from ford with the exact same stickers except AE and the 10 line was only thing different. I compared those 2 to mine and same thing only 10 was different. That said I have not actually connected an actuator to harness and switched modes to see if there is movement. I kind of want to do that to see if it works before purchasing an AE catback. Does anyone with actual AE know if you pulled the actuator off the muffler if you could see the motor/spring spin?

Last edited:
OP
OP

turbosicks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
50 - from what I gather on the other thread, there needs to be a change in the PCM to get our 19's to work. PCM as built isn't available online through Ford so I actually went to a dealer and got if from one of their cars. If you have Forscan, you can look at the PCM data on your car and maybe we can start to narrow down some of the changes to help the community? It would be great if someone with our like cars that has AE would share their PCM data and then we would have 2 with and 2 without and that would help a bunch. Like I stated on my original post, I can't change the PCM data line by line so before I spend more money at the dealer to have them change it (which I believe they can), I'd like some more comparisons. Regarding the actuators, I can't even move them by hand. Not sure if they are bound up somehow or there is that much tension on them between the "motor" and the spring. Hopefully we can get more input and get this to work!

Regarding the IPC, I also have it "functioning" in the dash from 720-10. 720-04 is the other it seems you need for the 18. Unfortunately it seems as if Ford made it WAY more difficult on us.

OP
OP

turbosicks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Hey all. Question for guys who's active exhaust functions. How easy is it to move the "valve" in the tailpipe by hand? I tried moving mine and they are really, really bound up. Tried moving with my fingers and then persuading them by prying with a screwdriver and they are staying wide open with zero movement. Should they move somewhat freely? Thanks again for the help

Sponsored

mmarfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Competition Orange
Were you opening these with the actuator still attached to the valve??? If you did and you got them open you probably damaged something. The motors are suppose to be stiff because it needs to hold the valve at a certain angle. With the actuators removed, the valve should move freely. The actuator motors are worm gears, so they have plenty of torque and holding power. Do NOT try to move the actuator motors manually, they will break.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Anyone have an AE VIN to post up from a similar 2019 w/same standard and optional equipment packages that they are researching?

The comparison VINs should be pretty much identical Window Stickers with no variation.

50racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1FA6P8CF6K5174025
1FA6P8CF4K5147017

50racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is another 2 with magnaride
1FA6P8CF0K5153140
1FA6P8CF9K5187447

Decanes

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Magnetic Metallic PP1 Magneride 401A manual Roush stage 2
1FA6P8CF3K5192143

Attachments

Sponsored
OP
OP

turbosicks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the response about the actuators. I thought I read somewhere that they can be moved by hand, but I may be mistaken. I didn't go crazy on them so I doubt I damaged them.

Regarding VINS, here are a few, including mine. Again, we have 401a, B&O, S&S, PP1, Magneride, auto, and convertible.

My car w/o active exhaust 1FATP8FF7K5133501
Car like mine with acttve exhaust that I took PCM data from 1FATP8FF3K5158198
And another with active exhaust and same options as mine 1FATP8FF3K5201003

I can share the PCM data from my car and the one I took it from with the active if that will help.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Here is another 2 with magnaride
1FA6P8CF0K5153140
1FA6P8CF9K5187447
I didn’t do any analysis, but here’s the data for those (2) VINs - see if anything in the docs helps with the comparison quest....

and here’s the other dataset (different from PDFs)
2CD5343A-6DF0-49DE-905B-BB78A3946348.jpeg
88969B9B-F8E0-4042-91E4-EAB3B089E254.jpeg
AD002DA0-7CF8-43F6-9E38-5F577046C7C3.jpeg
E710EAC6-9416-49D8-9739-AA06EC55AB1E.jpeg

Attachments

Decanes

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Magnetic Metallic PP1 Magneride 401A manual Roush stage 2
Ok I have read what you are doing and talking about using forscan to program it. I have never used forscan but guessing it is a aftermarket software people use. That being said have you ever used a Ford VCM 2 with the IDS software it comes with?
I have not hooked it up to my 2019 Mustang GT yet but have used it on a 2012 F150 to turn on the electric brake controller. You can go into the Programmable Module turn things on and off, change tire size ect
v.jpg

acemastr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Ok I have read what you are doing and talking about using forscan to program it. I have never used forscan but guessing it is a aftermarket software people use. That being said have you ever used a Ford VCM 2 with the IDS software it comes with?
I have not hooked it up to my 2019 Mustang GT yet but have used it on a 2012 F150 to turn on the electric brake controller. You can go into the Programmable Module turn things on and off, change tire size ect
v.jpg
Plug it in! I'm praying someone finds a way of doing this as I have the exhaust in my garage waiting to go on... but ford are difficult and won't even look at the PCM to make a change.

OP
OP

turbosicks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
With Forscan I was able to change some PCM data, but I never got the exhaust not available message and it never worked. I'm not 100% sure if there is something else we are missing somewhere. I need to get my meter at the plugs and see if anything I did can change it. If I try to change PCM via Forscan line by line, it gives me some kind of "error" message and won't take. If I upload the PCM from the other vehicle, it does change some of the parameters. My oil life went from 85% ro 18% and when I went back to my PCM data, went back up to 85%. That's why I'm not 100% convinced that what we need to change is in the PCM. Does anyone know if I do upload the PCM data whether there is a learn or something else I have to do with the PCM? I'm just throwing darts here. Thanks for all the help everyone.
Sponsored