Sponsored

Alternative Tires for GT350

red95stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Race Red GT350, 03 Lightning, 11 HD Vrod
So I was looking for all season tires as well. The closest to stock size I could find are Cooper Zeon RS-3 G1. 285/35/19 and 305/30/19. Not sure if I’m going to get them because I’m not sure when my car is getting built but that’s what I found. Also I have the stock 11 GT500 performance pack wheels and all season tire they are on my 15 GT will they fit on the GT350?
Sponsored

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
So I was looking for all season tires as well. The closest to stock size I could find are Cooper Zeon RS-3 G1. 285/35/19 and 305/30/19. Not sure if I’m going to get them because I’m not sure when my car is getting built but that’s what I found. Also I have the stock 11 GT500 performance pack wheels and all season tire they are on my 15 GT will they fit on the GT350?
i've got the Zeon RS3-G1's running 305-30-19 all around on my OEM R wheels and I will say they are terribly under-rated and over-looked. Huge bang for buck. Just my 2c.

Speedster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500
i've got the Zeon RS3-G1's running 305-30-19 all around on my OEM R wheels and I will say they are terribly under-rated and over-looked. Huge bang for buck. Just my 2c.
My concern with running 305/30-19s on the back wheels is that tire is 1.2” less diameter than the factory rear 305/35-19. That’s a lot. The 30 series tire would have the same width as the 35, but in addition to the reduction in diameter the sidewall dimension drops from 4.2” to 3.6”.

This change will give an inaccurate speedo and odometer reading, assuming the GT350 computer determines speed based on the rotation of the rear tires. With the 305/30 on the rear, the tire will travel a shorter distance per revolution than the stock tire, which means your speedo will indicate roughly a 5% higher speed than you are actually going, and your odometer will build miles 5% more quickly than it should. Then there’s the question of the effect of this change on how the computer determines the various performance and emission parameters for the engine.

None of this may matter if you are tracking the car, but for a street use vehicle these things must be a consideration.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Which begs the question, why put any race-capable device, be it brakes, tires, etc., on a street car? The way I see it, Ford created two GT350s. The “R” is the car designed to be tracked, and therefore the standard GT350 should have been a completely streetable version. Why also build the standard GT350 to be a track worthy car? It seems redundant to me, and limits the number of buyers. As I mentioned before, race cars make lousy street cars, and vice versa.

Why have have over capability anywhere in a car? Might as well drive a Prius with that logic.

Sponsored

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I guess what the original poster is trying to determine is whether running non-stock tires on the GT350 is detrimental to performance, speedometer calibration, suspension etc,
I think the regular stock MPSS are good tires for most street situations. I live in Wisconsin though and would like to drive a 350 later in the season where we get colder temps (40-50 degrees F) and rain; I know in those conditions you shouldn't drive full out on the street or highway, but don't want to be on pins and needles when driving in less than ideal conditions.
If you are looking for an "official" statement, then maybe give Ford Performance a call.

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
You could always get a set of the LMR SVE replicas (or one of the other brands) for the 350 or 350R and throw a set of the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ on them for everyday street use. I don't have a GT350, but I run them on my GT. The A/S 3+ are really nice tire and are more than enough for any type of driving you will see on the street. This way you can save the factory wheels and tires for the track. Also, at 24lbs a wheel the SVE would save you a few lbs on each corner and a significant amount of money if you ever needed to replace it.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
I guess what the original poster is trying to determine is whether running non-stock tires on the GT350 is detrimental to performance, speedometer calibration, suspension etc,
I think the regular stock MPSS are good tires for most street situations. I live in Wisconsin though and would like to drive a 350 later in the season where we get colder temps (40-50 degrees F) and rain; I know in those conditions you shouldn't drive full out on the street or highway, but don't want to be on pins and needles when driving in less than ideal conditions.
If you are looking for an "official" statement, then maybe give Ford Performance a call.
Just did the Cruise for a Cause charity event in Wisconsin Dells in my R. Have half worn Bidgestone tires. Weather varied from sunny to outright downpour. No different then any other Mustang I have driven

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Just did the Cruise for a Cause charity event in Wisconsin Dells in my R. Have half worn Bidgestone tires. Weather varied from sunny to outright downpour. No different then any other Mustang I have driven
Hey Tim, What model and size Bridgestone's are you running? Did you have to adjust alignment, camber with the different set? How does the R sit height wise? lower, higher or the same? thanks...

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Hey Tim, What model and size Bridgestone's are you running? Did you have to adjust alignment, camber with the different set? How does the R sit height wise? lower, higher or the same? thanks...
Potenza RE-71R I bought them from nastang87xx used. They worked very well at Gingerman in the summer and were no issue in the rain. I had a street alignment put on the car when the Caster Camber plates were put in. The ride height did not change noticeably thank god, The R is low enough

Sponsored

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
^^^ all of that darty feeling is a result of the horrible Cup 2’s; great on the track for 4 days then they drop off in grip or start to cord. The worst tramlining tire I’ve driven.

Different set of tires and the car completely calms down.
Had Cup 2's on my car from day one, no tramline. NO, its not the tire! Combination or tire, chassis and alignment. Changing any of the above results in different driving characteristics. Oh, crappy roads too

03reptile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I have a friend who owns a tire store and also provides guidance and race tires for many local SCCA and race car drivers. I asked him to suggest an all season tire that wouldn't tramline, wouldn't effect the speedometer accuracy, and provide good handling. We installed these tires: Front= Michelin PS A/S 3's 275/40/19. Rear= Michelin PS A/S Plus N-spec 285/40/19. The rear tires are as wide as the 305 Cup 2's we replaced. I've been very pleased with these tires. The tramlining is gone and they perform almost as well as the Michelin Cup 2's that came on the car. (2019) They will certainly last far longer than the Cup 2's. I'm quite pleased with the tires and they allow me to drive in cold temperatures without worrying.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
...Rear= Michelin PS A/S Plus N-spec 285/40/19. The rear tires are as wide as the 305 Cup 2's we replaced...
Interesting point about the width - I had a set of Pirelli Trofeo R tires in 285/35 and I referred to them as my "305/33" tires because they were as wide as the MPSC2 305/30's. Sounds like the 285/40's are more like a 305/37.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
From my experience, Michelin has definitely always had an interesting interpretation of what a millimeter is. And Hoosier. Hoosier 245's are as wide as many company's 275's. But because race tire.