Sponsored

2020 EcoBoost High Performance Package, 330 HP / 350 LB-FT, 0-60 mid 4's [Updated With Video]

DB23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 2.3T 200A Auto Ingot
My understanding is that it comes with the focus RS intercooler, bigger than the current one but an aftermarket one is still better. I believe that info is toward the beginning of this thread.
Motor Trend, awhile back, reported the intercooler was "unique", i.e. different from both the base Mustang Eco and the RS. And Autoblog (again months ago) cited "a few changes in ... intercooler design." Hopefully this means we're looking at something better - admittedly that's a low bar given how poor the stock Mustang unit is.
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The 7 speed DCT should be a option for this trim.......troubles me as to why it's not.
floor pan redesign, lots of tuning, very expensive unit cost, need to engineer various adapter parts. The EB can barely muster 400lb/ft (with lots of upgrades) and the DCT would be crazy overbuilt. I expect the DCT will show up on the Raptor next. In 5 years time there might be a much cheaper DCT offering that could be rolled out to the GT/EB and lesser F150 models as a $3000-3500 option.

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
I hear you. My thoughts were more on the order of how much does it cost to get from point A (base car) to the highest performance available (PP2 or EBHPP/HP). Package to package the difference is only $490.00. I do not feel that is out of line for what you are getting, on either car. Now does the EBHPP/HP (damn, that's a mouthful) add up to a PP2 piece for piece. Honestly, I do not know. But to the EB buyer it doesn't matter. The costs are similar so pick your poison.
One thing we can both agree on is that it's great to see Ford upping the performance level on all of its Mustangs. I just hope that they do not get to crazy and make the Coyote obsolete.
I'm just saying, if you believe in the law of diminishing returns (which I do), a HPP without the HP package offers you very slightly more than a tuned PP EB for a lot more money. So, it being my money, unless I'm tracking the car or just have to have 10/10ths, 9/10ths for 10K less looks like a bargain. Then, take 4K of that and go to a good driving school. Driver mods are always the most cost effective :) I suppose that if FP offers a tune for the HPP that bumps it to 350HP, then you need to rethink. But there is a reason Ford discontinued the PP for the EB. It's probably because one of the engineers had a PP and did the tune and intercooler and said "damn, we should offer this as a new model and jack the price up". So they basically did. Plus, they needed a volume car to put the Spain engines in.

Ford has had piles of cash on the hoods of Mustangs all year. As soon as the 19's are basically gone, the rebates will start on the 20's. Every dealer I look at has Bullitt's languishing on the lots. But why would you buy a Bullitt over a highly optioned GT except for the perceived exclusivity? There is no way to justify the added cost- it doesn't even have MagneRide standard, and the wheels are just cheap looking. This is probably why Ford discontinued the PP for the EB. They are basically forcing the PP kind of guys to buy a HPP for a big premium. At any rate, for HPP money, I'd just get a GT I think.

Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I find it interesting that around the 3:40 mark Carl says they have a good flowing exhaust system but only a decent charge air cooling system. Basically Ford is aware the stock intercooler sucks lol. Come on Ford it's not that much more to put a better one in the car.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
a HPP without the HP package offers you very slightly more than a tuned PP EB for a lot more money
The reviews so far have shown that this is not quite accurate. Yes it is more money but it is more than a tuned PP.

But there is a reason Ford discontinued the PP for the EB. It's probably because one of the engineers had a PP and did the tune and intercooler and said "damn, we should offer this as a new model and jack the price up". So they basically did. Plus, they needed a volume car to put the Spain engines in.
I do not think ford was looking to discontinue the stand alone PP package. What they wanted to do was up the ante of the 2.3's performance and then wrapped the PP package around it. Thinking that the HPP will be a "volume" car" is hopeful thinking, at best. Now if you put this engine in every EB, maybe. I do not know what Spain's production numbers are.

Every dealer I look at has Bullitt's languishing on the lots. But why would you buy a Bullitt over a highly optioned GT except for the perceived exclusivity? There is no way to justify the added cost- it doesn't even have MagneRide standard, and the wheels are just cheap looking.
OK, this is an EB thread but I'll indulge you on the Bullitt. The current dealer stock is on the dealers, not Ford. there are those still holding to MSRP or more. That's why they are sitting there. My dealer just sold the one I test drove in December.
Also the Bullitt does not cost that much more than a fully optioned GT. Equipment to equipment they are almost identical. Again this is on the dealer not Ford.
Not everyone wants MagneRide and it's expensive. That's why it is not included on any Mustang except the PP2 & HPP/HP. I'm with you on the wheels. Not my idea of Torq Thurst's.

This is probably why Ford discontinued the PP for the EB. They are basically forcing the PP kind of guys to buy a HPP for a big premium.
Ford is not forcing anyone to buy anything. It will be interesting to see the numbers, 2019 PP vs 2020HPP. That will tell us the story.

At any rate, for HPP money, I'd just get a GT I think.
That says it all. Two different cars for two different customers. Both great in their own right. Agreed?

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
You'd think revising it would be trivial - but maybe it requires re-certifying the emissions cert.
They had to certify it for the Spain motor anyway... I think it is just a cost saving measure. I wonder if it has plastic ends like the stock EB IC...

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
I find it interesting that around the 3:40 mark Carl says they have a good flowing exhaust system but only a decent charge air cooling system. Basically Ford is aware the stock intercooler sucks lol. Come on Ford it's not that much more to put a better one in the car.
Need I remind you about the missing horn in my 19? No matter what Ford puts in someone is going to complain it is not good enough. They balance engineering and cost. Most, but not all of the time, cost wins.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
They had to certify it for the Spain motor anyway... I think it is just a cost saving measure. I wonder if it has plastic ends like the stock EB IC...
I'm sure we will find out when we get more detailed reviews. For all we know now it has a great IC. OK OK, wishful thinking.

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
The reviews so far have shown that this is not quite accurate. Yes it is more money but it is more than a tuned PP.

I do not think ford was looking to discontinue the stand alone PP package. What they wanted to do was up the ante of the 2.3's performance and then wrapped the PP package around it. Thinking that the HPP will be a "volume" car" is hopeful thinking, at best. Now if you put this engine in every EB, maybe. I do not know what Spain's production numbers are.

OK, this is an EB thread but I'll indulge you on the Bullitt. The current dealer stock is on the dealers, not Ford. there are those still holding to MSRP or more. That's why they are sitting there. My dealer just sold the one I test drove in December.
Also the Bullitt does not cost that much more than a fully optioned GT. Equipment to equipment they are almost identical. Again this is on the dealer not Ford.
Not everyone wants MagneRide and it's expensive. That's why it is not included on any Mustang except the PP2 & HPP/HP. I'm with you on the wheels. Not my idea of Torq Thurst's.

Ford is not forcing anyone to buy anything. It will be interesting to see the numbers, 2019 PP vs 2020HPP. That will tell us the story.

That says it all. Two different cars for two different customers. Both great in their own right. Agreed?
I prefaced my response with the diminishing returns problem. If money is no object, then buy a Corvette because a C7 is the ultimate bargain right now. Also, there are no actual reviews yet, just driving impressions. We will see what the car actually does.

Ford was obviously looking to discontinue the PP for the EB because they did. You are right, the HPP will never be a volume car because it will simply be too expensive and maybe harsh for most DD.

The Bullitt problem is not just the dealers. Ford does not offer the same incentives and rebates on them and they seriously miscalculated the popularity of the package for the price. A GT with PP and MagneRide is a better car for less money (but no dash plaque, lol). The reason they cancelled the PP on the EB is they do not want this to happen again- so I do think Ford is "forcing" someone who would normally want a EB PP to buy a HPP. If Ford does the same thing with the HPP as they did with the Bullitt (no incentives, rebates) they will have them sitting on the lots next to the Bullitts because it is a small demographic that will buy them over a GT for the same money.

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
floor pan redesign, lots of tuning, very expensive unit cost, need to engineer various adapter parts. The EB can barely muster 400lb/ft (with lots of upgrades) and the DCT would be crazy overbuilt. I expect the DCT will show up on the Raptor next. In 5 years time there might be a much cheaper DCT offering that could be rolled out to the GT/EB and lesser F150 models as a $3000-3500 option.
What floor pan modifications.....?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Ford was obviously looking to discontinue the PP for the EB because they did. You are right, the HPP will never be a volume car because it will simply be too expensive and maybe harsh for most DD.
Can you please post the facts to back up that statement?

Ford “wanted” to discontinue the EB PP?? So this was actually in Ford’s Business Plan?

LOL.

Ok what’s next, because this thread is spiraling out of control....

If you compare the price of a 2018/19 EB w/PP to the new 2020 HiPo EB, there’s not a huge difference in MSRP price.

Do you even know what a loaded 2015-2017 or 2018-19 EB w/PP MSRP’d at?? Some of them were upwards of $40k+, but you wouldn’t know that because everyone is so freakin busy with focusing on the “new” model and it’s “new” pricing and do NOT understand how the prior EB w/PP’s were spec’d and what their MSRP’s were...

I also wouldn’t expect a GT owner to know prior EB price points either, because a GT owner bought a GT because of their own personal preferences.

The 2018 PP option for the EB was only $2495 - that’s not including any other option packages, no trans cost, no interior upgrades, no suspension upgrades, no color upgrades, no nothing - that is strictly the cost to add all of the PP parts to the EB base.

The 2015-2017 EB PP option price was not much different either.

Take that $2495 from the current HiPo PP package (again EXCLUDING any other options) - and you’ll find there is not a drastic difference in costs from a 2018-19 EB PP to the new 2020 EB HiPo.

All Ford has done was simplified the freaking 2020 ordering process where now Dealers and Buyers who build their order online don’t have to take a Base EB and start adding PP shit to it. There is now a simple choice for the buyer, either he/she wants/orders a Base EB or a EB HiPo (= prior PP) now - plain and simple.

So the conspiracy theorists can go back to their corners....
Sponsored