Sponsored

Anyone driven a ZL1?

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Unfortunately, Ford took so long with the GT500, that we won’t have an apples to apples comparison with the ZL1 until 2019.
Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Lol ok! Considering you can go triple digit speeds in a quarter mile and drag is directly proportional to the velocity square, it totally makes sense that quarter mile time is not affected by it ;)
And yet, here we have multiple tests from multiple publications showing whatever additional drag and downforce added to the 1LE is negligible in terms of 1/4 mile performance...and quite possibly offset by the ability to launch better off the line.

In all reality, you (nor I) have any idea what affect the 1LE design changes had on the Cd, nor do we know exactly how much extra down-force was created. It will most certainly have less of a top end pull, but it obviously does not come into play at typical 1/4 mile performance...especially when the 1LE is able to produce a better 60' with it's massive sticky tires.

Again, there is more to a 1/4 mile than a vehicles Cd.

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
Unfortunately, Ford took so long with the GT500, that we won’t have an apples to apples comparison with the ZL1 until 2019.
As long as it delivers i think majority is fine with it. The problem i see is if the new rumored mid engine c8 vette comes in around 2020 with the rumored specs (dohc v8 and twin turbo v8) for mid 50’s to high 70’s then the competition will get more intense. Considering the Camaro shares the same engine platform with the vette who knows what happens! If the GT500 came out this year, at least it would have lead the competition and sales for two straight years. I am comparing these cars per assumed price points, otherwise people say apple to oranges when it comes to a vette vs gt500!

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Drove a 2019 ZL1+1LE today. It had 6000 miles on in and came from MI via auction, was just sitting there on the lot. 6MT of couse. Had Mich PSS tires mounted. With the DSSV suspension it felt pretty damn good if you like a firm ride even in 'Touring' mode. IMO it's quite oversprung for any kind of street duty. At speed on a track I'm sure it's quite delicious.

The clutch was a delight, unlike my SS+1LE. I'm going to compare part numbers and see if I can retrofit or see what the deal is. I made a navigational error and spent quite a while in slow traffic - the experience was unremarkable and unobtrusive. The engine felt far less thrashy than the NA version and more rheostat. The chassis was more composed than the SS+1LE for sure. The salesman in the other seat was not happy about me bombing down 2 lane roads with blind crests so I didn't open it up too far. But what I experienced was enticing.

Turns out there is a used 2018 ZL1 convertible with 6MT only 2000 miles also near my house. They wouldn't let me drive it the other day but maybe I can wheedle them into doing so.

The ZL1+1LE has a shipping weight just over 3700 lbs. Ford really missed an opportunity with the GT500 IMO.
Sponsored