Sponsored

NEW 2017 GT350 vs 2019 GT350

Bulldogs22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
For sure buddy, totally agree. I wish it had 4 miles on it, but I'm buying it anyway. Its still new in my book, and I couldnt be more excited to go get this thing, drive it home (time to research breaking it in on the highway, I guess), then put that bad boy in my garage!! Its going to be my new prized posession! I can not wait....
I wouldn't even worry about 30 miles as long as he wasn't bouncing off redline which he wasn't even going above 2500 would do no harm for the engine. These engines need tons of pressure built up in them to seat everything so even if he went to 5000-6000 I would argue that's not a bad thing. Once you get your car be sure to drive elevation changes and after 100 miles I would accelerate hard to about 6000-6500 and let the engine go back down to about 2500-3000 to build pressure.
Sponsored

OP
OP
IronSooner

IronSooner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
16463047_10211217888437496_3726506180634652248_o.jpg
This is me at Hallett in 1994. I have been friends with Jim Wicks who runs the Mid America Shelby Meet in Tulsa for 25 years. Great guy and even better event. Maybe I will come out next year.
That is a BAD ASS looking car. Hallett is such a nice track, imo. Super short, but I think the GT350 will do well there. I cant wait to get it out there. Have you been to Heartland Park in Kansas? That's a much larger track that I REALLY like a lot. The front straight is super long, then you have that long left hand sweeper that you can just let loose on. On a bike, its a level 5 pucker factor. In a car, where I feel safer and will prob push it more, its gotta be insane.

I dont know Jim, but I have been to the last 5 Shelby meets at the Mariott. Mainly because I work in the building next door. So, as the cars start arriving on Monday, I am going on "walks" to check them out all week. Let me know if you decide to come out next year! I hope to be there with mine as well.

Me at Hallett on my GSXR 750 track bike:

Hallett on a BMW F800ST:

At Hallett with my Angel Baby:

At Heartland Park:

Edit: Not sure why the pics arent working? Trying to upload from imgur. Is there a better site or a trick to it?

OP
OP
IronSooner

IronSooner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I wouldn't even worry about 30 miles as long as he wasn't bouncing off redline which he wasn't even going above 2500 would do no harm for the engine. These engines need tons of pressure built up in them to seat everything so even if he went to 5000-6000 I would argue that's not a bad thing. Once you get your car be sure to drive elevation changes and after 100 miles I would accelerate hard to about 6000-6500 and let the engine go back down to about 2500-3000 to build pressure.
I've gotta figure out how I am going to vary the RPM's on the highway. I guess I'll just stay in too low a gear for a bit, then too high a gear?

FLETCshooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor, 2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I agree that you shouldn’t worry about the car being driven for only 30+ miles. After all you have a warranty and it isn’t like the car is going to compare you to it’s other drivers.

OP
OP
IronSooner

IronSooner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I agree that you shouldn’t worry about the car being driven for only 30+ miles. After all you have a warranty and it isn’t like the car is going to compare you to it’s other drivers.
Agreed. And, even if it did (compare me to its other drivers), it'd be impressed. :cwl:

Sponsored

orangegrower

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 - 2019 Aston Martin Vantage - 2019 Ranger Lariat
Yes I did drive Heartland one time. Great fast wide open track. That car is a Winston Cup car that I bought from Bud Moore. A real kick in the ass car to drive. Not sure on your pics.

OP
OP
IronSooner

IronSooner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Yes I did drive Heartland one time. Great fast wide open track. That car is a Winston Cup car that I bought from Bud Moore. A real kick in the ass car to drive. Not sure on your pics.
Cant imagine the speed on the Winston Cup car.

How does the Aston Martin compare to the GT350? The DB8/9 has always been a favorite of mine.

orangegrower

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 - 2019 Aston Martin Vantage - 2019 Ranger Lariat
It's hard for me to judge. I have not pushed them really hard yet as the Aston has 700 miles on it and the GT350 has 400. My go to vehicle is my 2003 Ranger. Both are extremely capable. Probably more capable than my driving ability. I might have to give the edge to the Aston as it is hard to beat twin turbos out of a corner. Both have great handling and braking. Someday I will find out.

OP
OP
IronSooner

IronSooner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
It's hard for me to judge. I have not pushed them really hard yet as the Aston has 700 miles on it and the GT350 has 400. My go to vehicle is my 2003 Ranger. Both are extremely capable. Probably more capable than my driving ability. I might have to give the edge to the Aston as it is hard to beat twin turbos out of a corner. Both have great handling and braking. Someday I will find out.
Awesome. I am sure they are both beyond words (I doubt I'll ever even be able to afford an Aston). I know the GT350 will be light years above my driving level, just as all of my bikes were above my riding ability. Honestly, that even goes for newer Harleys (dont know how many motorcycle fans are on this board). Anyway, I hope some folks get out to the Shelby meet next year. I know it gets a great turnout, and surely there'll be some folks from here as well.

Sponsored

LV_CarGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2003 Lotus Esprit, 2018 M5 First Edition, 2017 Audi A7
I have purchased multiple cars that were over a year old because I thought I was getting a good deal. All cars had problems ranging from engine issues to tires to paintwork. In my opinion, you are asking for trouble doing this with a 2.5 year old high performance car. Unless you get a sweet deal ($5k is not that), I wouldn’t do it.

Regardless, best wishes on whichever option you choose! Still a great car to debate this over!!

mrksherm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Hello! I am picking up a new (old stock, I guess) GT350 today, thats a 2017 model. It sat in the dealership as a display in a smaller town dealership (>200 miles), and they now have a 2019 thats taking its place, so this one is up for sale. I am supposed to go get it today, but thought I would ask if there is anything I should look for when I do? Potential problem areas, etc.?

Anyway, I almost bought a corvette, but I've always been a huge Ford fan, my first car was a 65 Mustang, and once I saw this one was for sale, I had to go get it! They are prepping it for pick up now. Thanks in advance for any and all advice!
Last month, I bought a 2017 GT350 with 1100 miles on it, literally like new, for $50,000, so your 2017 is way overpriced IMO.
I’d take the 2019, or find another dealer with a less expensive 2017.