OP
IronSooner

IronSooner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
LOL! Very accurate window sticker!

I've been DD'ing mine all week and this tank of gas is averaging about 21.2 MPG - mix of city and freeway - but still under 1K so not driving like a madman either...

I'll tell you, my number one pet peeve with this car, I don't like those baffles slamming shut when I shift into 6th!

I had Roush mufflers on my GT and loved hearing them purr down the highway - all the time - in any gear.

If I want it quiet, I'll flick the switch, let me make that choice.

Any Forscan hacks for that?

Also wish it didn't always default to "Normal" mode when started - wish it would stay in the mode it was in when the car was shut down.

Minor things...
For sure. I'd like the pipes to be on sport all the time. You're never gonna creep up on anyone in this car, so why hide its roar??

I'll have to check the gauge to see what I'm getting exactly, but I know I need to hit a gas station tomorrow. Have you tried the higher RPMs yet?
Sponsored

orangegrower

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 - 2019 Aston Martin Vantage - 2019 Ranger Lariat
Where are you at on neutral at the stop light with this car? I dont want to have to replace a throw out bearing, but putting it in neutral at a light just seems unnatural. My previous manuals I didnt really care about things like that, but I figure it'd be big money to replace one in this car.
I have alway used natural with my foot off the clutch. The reason why is the forward pressure on the clutch and flywheel puts forward pressure on the crankshaft and over time will put wear on the crankshaft thrust bearing.

OP
OP
IronSooner

IronSooner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I have alway used natural with my foot off the clutch. The reason why is the forward pressure on the clutch and flywheel puts forward pressure on the crankshaft and over time will put wear on the crankshaft thrust bearing.
Makes sense. I'll just work on making it a habit.

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
It also has good hill assist so no reason at all to be in a gear or clutch depressed until ready to move out.

Sponsored

RJay

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 - K1393
It also has good hill assist so no reason at all to be in a gear or clutch depressed until ready to move out.
It really does!

I haven't owned a stick shift since 1983 - so I'm redeveloping my muscle memory - I was parked on a slope the other day and had the clutch in/foot on brake/taking off the parking brake/foot off brake moving to gas pedal/:curse::curse::curse: I'M GOING TO ROLL FORWARD AND BUMP MY SPLITTER!!!:curse::curse::curse:

Wait! I'm not rolling! What? Oh! Technology! Crap I love this car! :rockon::sunglasses:

OP
OP
IronSooner

IronSooner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
LOL! Very accurate window sticker!

I've been DD'ing mine all week and this tank of gas is averaging about 21.2 MPG - mix of city and freeway - but still under 1K so not driving like a madman either...
Checked my guage today....16.4 MPG. Not sure why its so much lower than yours...I mean, I am not driving it like a bat out of hell. I do llet the RPM's get to 4-5K sometimes in 1st or second before shifting. Other than that, I have spent at least 60% of the time on the freeway, so it should be better. I dont use the cruise very much, guess that could be a factor. Miles are still less than 500, so maybe it'll go up over time. I'm honestly not entirely sure I am shifting it correctly at this point....its been a while since I've driven a manual every day. lol Anyway, I didnt buy it for good gas mileage, but I still wouldnt mind getting a little better if there is something small I can change to get it.

Also, curious if anyone else's gives off a pretty heavy rubber (maybe even clutch, but I dont think so) smell after driving it, once in the garage? I figure its the tires or something....lol, so soft they melt away even when sitting still!

RJay

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 - K1393
Checked my guage today....16.4 MPG. Not sure why its so much lower than yours...I mean, I am not driving it like a bat out of hell. I do llet the RPM's get to 4-5K sometimes in 1st or second before shifting. Other than that, I have spent at least 60% of the time on the freeway, so it should be better. I dont use the cruise very much, guess that could be a factor. Miles are still less than 500, so maybe it'll go up over time. I'm honestly not entirely sure I am shifting it correctly at this point....its been a while since I've driven a manual every day. lol Anyway, I didnt buy it for good gas mileage, but I still wouldnt mind getting a little better if there is something small I can change to get it.

Also, curious if anyone else's gives off a pretty heavy rubber (maybe even clutch, but I dont think so) smell after driving it, once in the garage? I figure its the tires or something....lol, so soft they melt away even when sitting still!
Do you reset your trip meter(s) and MPG every time you fuel up? If not, you'll get the average fuel economy since the car was first started. Usually a lot of idling in there.

I don't use cruise control at all right now - I'm staying away from it for the first 1000 miles - trying my best to keep varying those RPM's.

When you're on the freeway, are you in 5th enjoying that Voodoo exhaust, or are you in "Sleepy 6th" getting better mileage?

enthusiastic9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350®
Just above 500 miles on my 2019. I've been varying the RPMs a lot. Haven't even turned on cruise control yet. It's my only car and daily driver. Commute and city and some highway so far. I haven't checked what the computer is saying but my first two manual calculations have yielded 10.6 MPG and 13.4 MPG. I have gone up to 5k RPM and let the throttle go a few times but other than that no madman driving. I have only driven stick shifts (barring rental cars, of course) so I've been downshift rev-matching every time I drive so not sure if that causes lower gas mileage. Either way, it has been blast so far!

OP
OP
IronSooner

IronSooner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Do you reset your trip meter(s) and MPG every time you fuel up? If not, you'll get the average fuel economy since the car was first started. Usually a lot of idling in there.

I don't use cruise control at all right now - I'm staying away from it for the first 1000 miles - trying my best to keep varying those RPM's.

When you're on the freeway, are you in 5th enjoying that Voodoo exhaust, or are you in "Sleepy 6th" getting better mileage?
I have not reset the trip meter/MPG meter. I might do that tomorrow morning, to get some updated info.

I usually hang out in 6th....I know, I know...but I thought it was getting me better MPG. If its not, time to start enjoying the Voodoo on the highway as well!

Have you got on it at all? Reading your story, I feel like I'm Mario Andretti-ing this thing, when I should still be Sleepy Joe....lol

Sponsored
OP
OP
IronSooner

IronSooner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Just above 500 miles on my 2019. I've been varying the RPMs a lot. Haven't even turned on cruise control yet. It's my only car and daily driver. Commute and city and some highway so far. I haven't checked what the computer is saying but my first two manual calculations have yielded 10.6 MPG and 13.4 MPG. I have gone up to 5k RPM and let the throttle go a few times but other than that no madman driving. I have only driven stick shifts (barring rental cars, of course) so I've been downshift rev-matching every time I drive so not sure if that causes lower gas mileage. Either way, it has been blast so far!
I have about the same mileage. I have bounced it off the rev limiter once (it truly was an accident....I was trying to get on it, and the RPM's got too high too fast), and let it get up to 5 or 6k RPM's probably once per trip...because it sounds so awesome I just cant help myself.

The manual says no extended wide open throttle for the first 100 miles (check) and no performance driving until 1000 miles (check). So, I am meeting the requirements of the manual....but maybe I'm still taking it too far, idk. But again, I really find it difficult to help myself.....lol

OP
OP
IronSooner

IronSooner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Just bought my first mods! Jeager Bros front splash guards (an absolute necessity), and a steering wheel stripe (red), and white front splitter letters from zimcraft, who I think is owned by a member here. The obsession begins!! :rockon:

RJay

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 - K1393
I have not reset the trip meter/MPG meter. I might do that tomorrow morning, to get some updated info.

I usually hang out in 6th....I know, I know...but I thought it was getting me better MPG. If its not, time to start enjoying the Voodoo on the highway as well!

Have you got on it at all? Reading your story, I feel like I'm Mario Andretti-ing this thing, when I should still be Sleepy Joe....lol
It's a habit with me, I reset it every time I fill up (unless I'm really on a trip) to see if the performance is consistent.

Well, 6th should get you better mileage due to lower RPM's, but it's not as much fun as 5th! :captain:

LOL! I've taken it to 4K on a few runs through the gears, but she's only got 395 miles right now, so I'm still working my break-in plan up to 1000 miles and the first oil change.

5K+ shifts are just a littler further down the road for me.

OP
OP
IronSooner

IronSooner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
It's a habit with me, I reset it every time I fill up (unless I'm really on a trip) to see if the performance is consistent.

Well, 6th should get you better mileage due to lower RPM's, but it's not as much fun as 5th! :captain:

LOL! I've taken it to 4K on a few runs through the gears, but she's only got 395 miles right now, so I'm still working my break-in plan up to 1000 miles and the first oil change.

5K+ shifts are just a littler further down the road for me.
For sure. I like the reset trip on all fill ups idea as well. It'd be nice to have that data.

mrbillwot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
'19 Kona Blue w/blk roof & blk stripes GT350, 89 LX5.0 Sedan (Mustangs Past: 69's Coupe, Mach 1, & GT)
It really does!

I haven't owned a stick shift since 1983 - so I'm redeveloping my muscle memory -
<snip>

Same here (this week) though its my 89 LX Mustang that I haven't driven since 2001 (am selling it to clear space now with the GT350 here).
Getting use to street driving - the balance between simply using up clutch and feeling like it should be conserved is a re-learning curve. And 1 to 2nd the toughest to make smooth so far....and not sounding agressive in town all challenges - though in my defense I only have about 2 hours of seat time with days between those 2 experiences.
Trying to keep rpms below 4K at 50 miles. Hope to get the car back from paint protection tomorrow to really break it in & clear ODBII codes to pass inspection.
Sponsored