Sponsored

Are you in? Or are you out?

Ok, the dust has settled. Who's in or out?

• Total voters

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Melange_X3

No The GT500 is my car c8 is low balling to appear less expensive
Sponsored

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Melange_X3

No The GT500 is my car c8 is low balling to appear less expensive
And I guess that is what I was getting at, the intro price is low, but by the time you add on the much needed specs, you are at the GT500 price levels

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
And I guess that is what I was getting at, the intro price is low, but by the time you add on the much needed specs, you are at the GT500 price levels
You can get there at about $65k. 1LT + Z51, no other options. Most buyers won't stop there, just as most GT500 buyers won't opt for just the base car, no options, but it is possible to get there.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
You can get there at about $65k. 1LT + Z51, no other options. Most buyers won't stop there, just as most GT500 buyers won't opt for just the base car, no options, but it is possible to get there.
I agree. What interested me about the video I linked is the addition of twin screws as a modification. It could be possible that future versions could incorporate forced induction into later versions of the C8 and with such a light chassis, would be not remotely comparible to the GT500.

Credit where credit is due. If my 500 didn't work out, I would be looking very hard at the C8.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
IMO it's still hard to compare the LT2 to the Predator. Don't get me wrong - I love the idea of an aluminum chassis mid-engine car. However, the Predator is going to be one of the best engines ever made. The LT2 is not much in comparison.

Just the sounds that the Predator makes are so incredible. Supercharged and revving to 7,500 RPM. Awesome.

Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree. What interested me about the video I linked is the addition of twin screws as a modification. It could be possible that future versions could incorporate forced induction into later versions of the C8 and with such a light chassis, would be not remotely comparible to the GT500.

Credit where credit is due. If my 500 didn't work out, I would be looking very hard at the C8.
Possible = gonna happen. I am not speculating.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IMO it's still hard to compare the LT2 to the Predator. Don't get me wrong - I love the idea of an aluminum chassis mid-engine car. However, the Predator is going to be one of the best engines ever made. The LT2 is not much in comparison.

Just the sounds that the Predator makes are so incredible. Supercharged and revving to 7,500 RPM. Awesome.
I paraphrased John the Baptist somewhere here on M6G...maybe even this thread. I'll do it again.... "There is one who will come after me...I am not worthy to tie his sandals". LT2 is the base engine intended to keep a low cost Stingray available to "traditional" Corvette buyers. There are at least 2 engines coming that, from the information I've seen, will include DOHC, FPC and/or FI. Very "Voodoo-ish / Predator-ish"

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
I am fully committed to the GT500 assuming my deal goes through. BUT holy moly the C8 is simply amazing, and honestly if the ZO6 variant was available i would have a hard decision, but that is likely few years away. I think the GT500 has more character will definately be more exclusive. But everyone is kidding themselves if they don't realize the C8 ZO6 will destroy the GT500, i know we don't know anything yet but i confident on this statement. I know its not apples to apples, but i wager that a CFTP GT500 will be inline with a C8 ZO6 pricing. And at the end of the day it may just come down to preference, heck i may get both eventually. I hope the flooding of the market with C8's doesn't change my opinion on it, but likely it will, i don't want a car that I see every other block, the new supercar look hopefully will not get old.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am fully committed to the GT500 assuming my deal goes through. BUT holy moly the C8 is simply amazing, and honestly if the ZO6 variant was available i would have a hard decision, but that is likely few years away. I think the GT500 has more character will definately be more exclusive. But everyone is kidding themselves if they don't realize the C8 ZO6 will destroy the GT500, i know we don't know anything yet but i confident on this statement. I know its not apples to apples, but i wager that a CFTP GT500 will be inline with a C8 ZO6 pricing. And at the end of the day it may just come down to preference, heck i may get both eventually. I hope the flooding of the market with C8's doesn't change my opinion on it, but likely it will, i don't want a car that I see every other block, the new supercar look hopefully will not get old.
Probably not that long. Going by when previous gen Corvettes were launched and when Z06 surfaced, we're talking 1-1/2 years or less.
  • C6 Base - Q2 2004 / Z06 - Q3 2005 1-1/4 years
  • C7 Stingray - Q3 2013 / Z06 - Q1 2015 1-1/2 years

I expect that I will be buying something in the 2021 - 22 model year timeframe. By then C8 Z06 should be revealed. I had pretty much decided it would be GT500 base + options, pending seeing what C8 pricing and content would be. I was already pretty clear on the powertrain, though I was a bit surprised by the Z51 0 - 60 performance. Can't wait to see what the 1/4 mile will be. The base C8 is priced @$15k lower than I expected, so if the C8 Z06 pricing is similarly close to C7 Z06, I will likely bite.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Saliva is coming like crazy for the C8Z06. Too bad we gotta wait another year. I'm sure there will be mod vids to keep me pumped until it comes.
Think 700+HP putting weight where it SHOULD be, in a great looking package. Superb cornering, low 10s with 210+ Top speed - SOLD!! I'm so excited for this car, its gonna be epic.
Too bad Ford couldn't bring us a V8 TT, though the V6 EB is nice!

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I wonder how much the high performance version of the C8 will weigh? Probably within 100-200 pounds of the GT500. Assuming C&D is right and the base is about 3600, by the time you add big brakes, big (non carbon) wheels and tires, possible wide body, bigger engine with power adders, more cooling, etc. I think it might weigh more than the GT500 CFTP version.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I wonder how much the high performance version of the C8 will weigh? Probably within 100-200 pounds of the GT500. Assuming C&D is right and the base is about 3600, by the time you add big brakes, big (non carbon) wheels and tires, possible wide body, bigger engine with power adders, more cooling, etc. I think it might weigh more than the GT500 CFTP version.
hahahaha!! You'll be 100% wrong. I doubt the zr1 hybrid with 1000HP is heavier than the CFTP GT500. Lets come back and revisit your post when that time comes...hell we're still awaiting GT500 weight figures and banks have been opened a month.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It will not (will) be that close. I read somewhere that C8 wound up coming in around 170 lbs heavier (actually 366 lbs) than C7. C7 Z06 curb weight is 3,524. Add 200 lbs (366lbs) to that and you get 3,724 (3,990). Let's just call it 3,750 (4,000). GT500 will be at least 350 lbs heavier, possibly more (about the same, maybe 100 lbs more). The "Zora" version will likely weigh more, but that car will be beyond the GT500 competitive set as well as beyond what I'm gonna be spending on any car. I'll have to find the 170 lb reference. (found the right reference. 170 lbs was from something else I was working on)

***EDIT*** I foud the reference and I was way off. 366 lbs heavier than C7. Math adjusted above, also in red. The reference is TheDetroitBureau.com.... The new C8 actually grows longer, wider and 366 pounds heavier than the C7, or seventh-generation Corvette.

Last edited:

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
You have to keep I'm mind the Z06 will have a different engine than the outgoing. A smaller displacement DOHC and turbos should be lighter than the 6.2 with supercharger but if all was equal, your still looking at around 3900 lbs, which isnt light by Corvette standard but weight where it should be, will undoubtedly outperform a GT500 in every performance metric. Do people still think the GT500 is going to be sub 4000 lbs? There is a reason your not getting the weight numbers. Let's hope the CFTP isnt over 4100. It may be.