Sponsored

AFD ProFlex E85 Commander Journey w/ GT350

OneFordGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT
Here is the video i was talking about explaining flex tune vs dedicated e85 tune.
I see what you mean now and the way Alejandro explains it is misleading if your new to E85 tuning. I run the full E85 tune now and will continue until October/ November when I start wrapping up my car activities, then I’ll load the flex tune and start my switch to straight 93. It’s not wise to store a car all winter with E85. I’ve reviewed my datalogs and looked at others and flex vs E85 timing is the same after 5500 rpm. Below that the E85 really shines.
Sponsored

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
I run the flex tune, and on e85 my car does feel different in the lower RPM's. In truth with 93 in the tank the car responds well. Now I do have headers as well, so meh. In other news loaded the ghost cam tune to try it out on advice of another member. Need to get use to the way the car acts at idle with it. Have to say its interesting.

rag11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
I don't know the stock PSI, but apparently everyone is running stock injectors with this kit. i got mine coming in a few days.
I have a GT350 in SoCal as well, and I just ordered the kit. I think it's a great benefit since we only ever get 91 octane, and we have the ability to hide it for warranty purposes. Let me know how you like yours! I should get mine soon.

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I have a GT350 in SoCal as well, and I just ordered the kit. I think it's a great benefit since we only ever get 91 octane, and we have the ability to hide it for warranty purposes. Let me know how you like yours! I should get mine soon.
i ordered mine 7 days ago, taking advantage of that 20% sale. 5 days ago i chatted, asking if it had shipped. they said they were so overwhelmed with the sale that they had to make more units. so the guy said mine will ship out early this week. so i'm still waiting. doesnt leave a good taste in my mouth but whatever.

Sasha

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Just to add, had mine for about 2 month and love it. No issues, I also had my gt350 dynode. To add my e85 percentage was 68%. I found a better pump with 72% but not sure it will make much difference.
IMG_20190623_210820.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP

mmakam2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Sasha, your smoothing is set on STD, so SAE power thats just right around 460hp. So Is that dyno run WITH e85 or 93? Doesn't seem to have made any additional power, atleast compared to my baseline run.

Last edited:

Sasha

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I probably should have explained it better, my fault. It is e85 with 68% percent ethanol. It actually did make power, I should have posted my baseline dyno pull. Also to note it was the same dyno and the weather is almost the same. So you were probably right that it made 460 hp but compared to base run I made some power.
dyno.jpg

OP
OP

mmakam2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Nice! Thanks for posting the baseline. How did you feel about the overall drive ability not doing WOT?

Sasha

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
There is a bit of a kick , not a lot but you can feel it. Driving is fine, the only thing is cold start , since it's e85 it cranks kinda weird. But other then that it's fine.

jfabes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT500; '22 F150; '19 Giulia QV; '21 GTI
So despite Lund and others providing a flex tune, it is merely for convenience and not for making real power. Lund even has videos stating this. They do have a dedicated E85 tune, which would make the power, but to me it is still risky due to the varying levels of ethanol content and requirement to ensure your tank is truly full of E85 and no 93 is left in the tank.
I agree that the flex tune is convenient. And I watched the vid. But I have seen dyno charts on here for guys making nearly 500 at the wheels with an intake and Lund flex tune running e85 whereas baseline cars are 460-470. I know that cars and dynos vary but that just seems like a lot considering...

Regarding the switchover, it’s actually very easy. You just drive until the tank is at about 10-15 miles to empty, fill up with e85 and drive for about 25 miles on the flex tune, then switchover to the e85 tune and you’re good. If your worried, you can send them your logs...they can adjust for ethanol <70% if required....but honestly, I believe there’s some wiggle room in there. I’ve had some low quality e85 based on my test, sent them my logs, and all looked good.

Sponsored

rag11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
i ordered mine 7 days ago, taking advantage of that 20% sale. 5 days ago i chatted, asking if it had shipped. they said they were so overwhelmed with the sale that they had to make more units. so the guy said mine will ship out early this week. so i'm still waiting. doesnt leave a good taste in my mouth but whatever.
Yeah I ordered mine last thursday night, it's now Tuesday morning and I haven't heard a word about shipping or anything, so thanks for your response as it at least gives me some insight. They should be communicating better though. Oh well.

OP
OP

mmakam2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I agree that the flex tune is convenient. And I watched the vid. But I have seen dyno charts on here for guys making nearly 500 at the wheels with an intake and Lund flex tune running e85 whereas baseline cars are 460-470. I know that cars and dynos vary but that just seems like a lot considering...

Regarding the switchover, it’s actually very easy. You just drive until the tank is at about 10-15 miles to empty, fill up with e85 and drive for about 25 miles on the flex tune, then switchover to the e85 tune and you’re good. If your worried, you can send them your logs...they can adjust for ethanol <70% if required....but honestly, I believe there’s some wiggle room in there. I’ve had some low quality e85 based on my test, sent them my logs, and all looked good.
I don't deny the performance you will get from the flex tune from lund and others, but as some as stated, low RPM timing is pulled back a bit. This will translate to less power/torque in daily driving situations. Also, the procedures you describe to switch over are exactly what i would like to avoid. I don't want to have to touch my SCT/ngauge after setting up once. I don't want to have to monitor ethanol content after fill ups to make sure i didn't get E70. I don't want to have to worry about going to quarter tank (for the relearn), sometimes I like topping off before a long drive or for whatever other reason.

All this being said, in a few months when i go with my Whipple setup, i will NOT be running the AFD system. I will be going with a traditional E85/flex dyno tune PBD. The AFD system is perfect for a close to stock NA setup, when the mods start getting more extreme, you will need more precise fueling control which you will not have with the AFD. I have nothing against leveraging the flex logic in the Ford PCM, like Lund and the others, but for me at this stage in my car's modifications, the AFD makes more sense.

jfabes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT500; '22 F150; '19 Giulia QV; '21 GTI
^^^^okay, gotcha. I just noticed you are in Houston....e85 is everywhere so you don’t even have to run 93. I only suggested the “run to empty” if you lived somewhere where e85 is hard to find. I test mine because the station is 65 miles away and I fill up multiple 15 gal containers. So I have to plan. But mine is not a daily driver. I also didn’t realize you were going to go FI, so my bad.

As for inspection, well, I lived in Houston for 15 years....there are ways around that :)

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I ordered mine last thursday night, it's now Tuesday morning and I haven't heard a word about shipping or anything, so thanks for your response as it at least gives me some insight. They should be communicating better though. Oh well.
10 days since order and no shipping notice yet. :angry:

OP
OP

mmakam2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I'm still waiting for a shipping notice too. AFD said it would go out this week, but nothing yet.
Sponsored