GT350R Wing's Downforce?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
He calls the R's wing a "spoiler" and then calls the base car's "spoiler/swing" a wing. :cwl:
I was trying to be nice referring to him. I will continue to bite my tounge.
Sponsored

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
I’m in-between cars
You wrote that in response to me - I hadn't asked for anything nor did I say this was a problem for Ford or us <shrug> We're just talking.

FWIW Someone has already written an article on this topic with respect to MY'19:
https://www.allfordmustangs.com/2018/06/15/whats-gurney-flap-gt350-getting-one/

My '19 will have the swing for better or worse and I'm happy to share my observations when/if it is delivered this long drawn out production year (my build date is less than a month from today). I will definitely be looking for adverse road debris pickup when the Gurney installed initially but I don't anticipate such problems at spirited highway speeds. As for track experience with it - I will be at track attack in 2-3 weeks and will ask there for their experiences assuming they have any with MY19 changes (spring rates & brakes too). If anyone has a mass of experience its those guys.

FWIW about the MY '19 grill treatment:
The Mustang’s Chief Engineer Carl Widmann discussed the car’s aero improvements, pointing out the additional grille “blanking” up front. According to Widmann, the outgoing car had some excess cooling capacity, so Ford decided to close off a bit more of the grille to reduce front lift and aerodynamic drag. Widmann says the 2019 model’s drag coefficient dropped by about .010.
(before optional Gurney)

The reason for my two responses, which are a conversation, are that is not the scope of anything that I have interviewed Ford on. I do not know anything of rock chips or a systematic problem or rock debris caused by Gurney Flap equipped cars. Thus my response that I cannot speak on the issue, and I'm unsure of what you would like me to do. Cause and effect are notoriously hard to prove, and there could be other reasons for the paint damage, if it is something that most Gurney equipped cars are seeing, then we have a correlation, but that is not something that I would write on.

As I mentioned at the beginning, I have an upcoming article coming out on the differences between the 2019 base model and the R, I will let that stand for what Ford said in my interview.

Last edited:

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
I've not seen any issues with rocks with mine on or off track.... what is supposedly the issue?

mrbillwot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
'19 Kona Blue w/blk roof & blk stripes GT350, 89 LX5.0 Sedan (Mustangs Past: 69's Coupe, Mach 1, & GT)
The reason for my two responses, which are a conversation, are that is not the scope of anything that I have interviewed Ford on. I do not know anything of rock chips or a systematic problem or rock debris caused by Gurney Flap equipped cars. Thus my response that I cannot speak on the issue, and I'm unsure of what you would like me to do.

As I said I doubted the cause to be gurney. I certainly didn't expect anyone to speak on the issue or prove anything to me on that. I'll make my own observations when I get mine. If you were offering to dig into it then thank you - that wasn't clear to me and again I wasn't pushing for more.

"Cause and effect are notoriously hard to prove, and there could be other reasons for the debris, if it is something that most Gurney quipped cars are seeing, then we have a correlation, but that is not something that I would write on"

I agree there would need to be more evidence. The effect I saw looks more like ass end first trailing or who knows - a mower over sand/dirt incident. Here's the thread if interested:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/rock-chips-next-to-rear-plate.122819/

"As I mentioned at the beginning, I have an upcoming article coming out on the differences between the 2019 base model and the R, I will let that stand for what Ford said in my interview."

Sounds good.
I've been chasing down MY'19 engine build changes from Ford Perf reps who are relaying my q's to engine engineers. Its like pulling teeth but they're starting to open up, I'll leave article writing to others - this is for my own knowledge or anyone who cares to ask but I appreciate those to make an effort to share with articles. Cheers.

Last edited:

19-kilo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2011 SVT Raptor, 6.2L
The reason for my two responses, which are a conversation, are that is not the scope of anything that I have interviewed Ford on. I do not know anything of rock chips or a systematic problem or rock debris caused by Gurney Flap equipped cars. Thus my response that I cannot speak on the issue, and I'm unsure of what you would like me to do. Cause and effect are notoriously hard to prove, and there could be other reasons for the paint damage, if it is something that most Gurney equipped cars are seeing, then we have a correlation, but that is not something that I would write on.

As I mentioned at the beginning, I have an upcoming article coming out on the differences between the 2019 base model and the R, I will let that stand for what Ford said in my interview.
did your article about the GT350R wing get posted? I’m wanting to read it :)
Sponsored