ahl395

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
How is the NVH with the new parts? What brake system are you looking at?
No NVH at all, but much more stability on acceleration. Stock it was fishtail city, after diff bushings and CB005 it wouldn't fishtail just slide to one side which was much more controllable. Now it barely slides out at all, stays pointed straight when the wheels spin and can put more power to the ground. Much more confident feeling.

Brakes I really want to upgrade to the PP brembos but I just can't afford it right now so I'm gonna just replace the pads and rotors on my 4 pistons. Looking at the Powerstop Z26 kit from AM. Hopefully will be able to do the brembos next year. Need to do something now though because even though I have plenty of pad left they shudder pretty bad stopping at 100+. The rotors are blue from overheating lol

Update: Got the Front and rear Z23 kit from AM on sale for $223! Typically $400 so thats a deal I couldn't pass up.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
ahl395

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
Well unfortunately it looks like my build is getting put on the back burner for awhile. I suspect I spun a rod bearing. Going to be parked for awhile until I save up the money for a sleeved shortblock...:crying:

jabrax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2015 ruby red PP GT
Crap, thats 2 motors in the last month that I know of in the area

Sponsored

Chris Barnes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
Wow! What happened? I assume it was a progressive noise the you noticed?

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
That’s ruff. Good luck with everything.

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 - 2006 GT Convertible
Oof. Read through your entire thread, wasn't expecting this plot twist at the end.

Every time I put a blower on a stock motor it is always in the back of my head that it's only a matter of time tho.

OP
OP
ahl395

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
Thanks guys. Planning to have it back on the road in less than a year. Debating on sleeved, non sleeved for my power level, etc. Going to ask a few shops opinions. I really want to go sleeved so the motor is bulletproof, but at 800-900whp since I'm so strapped for money I may chance it without sleeves to save $4k and get the car back quicker.

I noticed it after a couple pulls it felt a little funny and had 10 degrees knock coming up on the ngauge on light throttle.

Sponsored

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Woofta!. Might've been the "false" knock you've been chasing early warning sign. undersize/polish the crank if it can be saved, rods, pistons, and be back on the road for a couple grand. Everyone who buys shortblocks over tiny issues blows my mind. SOOOO expensive to pay someone else for an all new motor. Ya if you grenade it and poke holes in stuff and make a mess you're pretty much screwed, but sounds like you may have caught it early.

OP
OP
ahl395

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
Woofta!. Might've been the "false" knock you've been chasing early warning sign. undersize/polish the crank if it can be saved, rods, pistons, and be back on the road for a couple grand. Everyone who buys shortblocks over tiny issues blows my mind. SOOOO expensive to pay someone else for an all new motor. Ya if you grenade it and poke holes in stuff and make a mess you're pretty much screwed, but sounds like you may have caught it early.
I'm pretty certain the false knock was false as I resolved 99% of it and was back up to full timing. This happened directly after a few back to back pulls (oops). Personally I've done all the rest of the work on the car but engine work is beyond me. At the point of paying labor to remove and disassemble/repair the motor I would think it would only be a little more for a built shortblock pre-done. I may inquire about this but I have a feeling they will advise the shortblock. I know one reputable shop I called doesnt even replace shortblocks advised me to just get an aluminator lol.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
I'll pay to send me your old motor, tear it down' and diagnose, then I'll rebuild it and have a mild shortblock ready when mine let's go someday. LOL!

OP
OP
ahl395

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
Talked with JPC Racing. They said for 800-900whp sleeves are not required but aren't a bad idea. They can most likely re-use my block, polish the block, cams, etc and reuse everything. Buy a new crank, rods, pistons, etc. Head stud it and put it back together. Re-using my block will save me a little bit of money but not a ton. Didn't get an exact price as I'm not bringing it yet, but based on my old estimate with a new block I'm hoping re-using mine could bring the total down to about $9k. Sleeved would be an additional $3k if I go that route.

My plan at the moment: Probably stay unsleeved since I'll be lucky to hit 900 wheel. Up boost to 16-17psi, add more methanol to accomodate. Looking into direct port methanol in each runner to ensure proper distribution which may require switching to a Holley Sniper intake manifold. May also up compression to 11.5 so I don't need as much boost and can get more out of the blower. Shooting for bringing the car down to them around February.