Sponsored

A/C Evaporator Factory Defect

turbojay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT A10
That’s good to know. I’m just frustrated because I finally get a chance to get my car out and I have ac issues. Thanks for bringing me back in line.
Sponsored

Jayelg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gT
Can anybody tell me the latest part number, for the evaporator core ?? I believe I got FR3Z19850AB evaporator assembly back in dec. curious to see if it’s the latest unit and if I should worry about a 2nd failure.

GT Nate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Mustang GT Premium
I had mine replaced in March part# FR3Z19850Y

Dave2017GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1
My problems with the 17 Mustang GT PP started day one. Long long story short, car started leaking refrigerant on the garage floor. I knew exactly what the problem was from reading this forum. there was no way i was letting anyone rip the interior of my car out. I was literally losing sleep at night over it and had difficulty concentrating at work. You know what i did that solved everything? I traded it in for a brand new 2019 GT PP1. Lost some money on the deal but i bought peace of mind and a sweet new car with a kick ass AC and no erratic BS to deal with. I wish i didnt have to do that but the other Mustang was slowly falling apart so naturally i went out and bought another Mustang lol!!!FK it! There were never any TSB's for my 17 Mustang.

Sponsored

jrsimon27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 PP
Can anybody tell me the latest part number, for the evaporator core ?? I believe I got FR3Z19850AB evaporator assembly back in dec. curious to see if it’s the latest unit and if I should worry about a 2nd failure.
The latest part number is this one:

FR3Z19850Y

brb08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2015 Mustang GT Premium
Oof. No AC on my 15 GT Premium. I tried a recharge for kicks (no go) and then looked here. I'm out of warranty and I am guessing I'm going to be in a 2k debacle. I had no idea this was such a widespread issue.

Lime1GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I believe if you held a refrigerant detector at the drain outlet of the hvac box a leak from the evaporator would be detected.

Sponsored

Oxford_5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Not sure if im just super unlucky, but the 1st time this happened I posted on SVT performance back in 2015 but nobody seemed to know of the evap core issue. Just stumbled across this thread..

My 2015 GT was delivered july of 2015. Within a couple hundred miles a bearing in the compressor failed and the unit was replaced.
After that during the same year my first evap core was replaced. By the end of 2017 and 19k miles, my 3rd unit was put in.
That's right 3 failures on evap cores.
Tha

DrRabbit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Got my 2015 Mustang GT in March of 2015. First A/C issue was because of a rabbit chewing the cables. That was fixed under warranty. NOW, in 2019, my warranty is finished and my A/C has quit working again. There was a whining sound coming from the engine area before it quit working. Now, the A/C will kinda work when the temps are below 65. What I mean is that I can hear the A/C kick in when I turn it on (still whines), but it will only blow cold air for maybe 5 minutes. If the temp is above 65 or so, the A/C will kick in for maybe 5 seconds, then you can hear it turn off. My neighbor put a pressure gauge on the system on one of the warm days, and said it was WAY over pressure. Am I suffering from the same crap evap core issue that everyone else here is?

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
My neighbor put a pressure gauge on the system on one of the warm days, and said it was WAY over pressure. Am I suffering from the same crap evap core issue that everyone else here is?
Did he measure the high pressure side of the system? Did someone recharge it recently? Sounfs like the system has been over charged.

DrRabbit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Did he measure the high pressure side of the system?
He measured the low side.
Did someone recharge it recently?
No, not since the incident with the rabbit in 2016
Sounfs like the system has been over charged.
That's what I thought too after reading a lot of posts on the internet, but he doesn't think so. My neighbor has worked on a lot of car A/C systems in the past, and believes it is a compressor issue because of the whining sound when it does work. I'm just wondering if this 2015 Mustang defect could have caused the problem that I am currently having.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I'm just wondering if this 2015 Mustang defect could have caused the problem that I am currently having.
If you're referring to the evaporator problem, then no it's not causing your problem. When the evaporator leaks you lose AC refrigerant charge and you would have very low or no system pressure.

It probably is the compressor. If the compressor can't compress effectively, then the low pressure side will be too high and the high pressure side will be too low. Both sides of the system should be measured to determine if the compressor is working correctly, and if the refrigerant charge is correct (within acceptable range).
Sponsored

Last edited: