Sponsored

Worth getting custom tune for CAI & exhaust or just go canned tuned?

Fabs5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP 401A
Vehicle Showcase
Hi everyone, quick question regarding my 17 GT PP1. Car is stock other than borla s-type w x-pipe and a soon to be installed JLT intake. Once I install the intake I plan to get an SCTX4 but not sure if it’s worth paying LMR extra for the Lund SCTX4 tuner or getting a custom Dyno tune or just going with a canned SCT tune as I have only a couple of bolt-ons?
Sponsored

Aubrey

GT4949
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Planning the next one!
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly save your money on the intake, invest in a tune. I now have Lund and I discarded the Ford Performance tune. E85R/FLEX is amazing. It’s not the intake.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
You're going to need a tune for the JLT intake regardless. You can't run it on a stock tune.

If you can get your hands on a stock 2018 intake with a drop in filter, that's a pretty awesome setup right now since it's bigger than the 15-17 one. Honestly though, I wouldn't worry about it if you're not moving to the 2018 intake manifold.

OP
OP
Fabs5oh

Fabs5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP 401A
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly save your money on the intake, invest in a tune. I now have Lund and I discarded the Ford Performance tune. E85R/FLEX is amazing. It’s not the intake.
Thanks for the feedback. I already have the JLT intake but was going to buy an SCTX4 once the car is out of storage so I can install it.

The car is getting tuned regardless but not sure if it’s worth paying extra for the Lund or getting a Dyno based custom tune or just use the canned SCT tunes as it only has the exhaust and eventually the intake.

For reference the car made 393 rwhp last summer with only the exhaust.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Get the Lund tune, no need for a dyno tune for what you have so far.

The canned tune might be a bit better than stock, but the Lund will push it a lot further. I'm not sure the SCT X4 by itself can work for a tune required intake either.

Sponsored

blackyote_317

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Get the Lund tune, no need for a dyno tune for what you have so far.

The canned tune might be a bit better than stock, but the Lund will push it a lot further. I'm not sure the SCT X4 by itself can work for a tune required intake either.
I don't have it on hand but I believe the SCT devices will have options for several of the major CAIs including JLT. I may be wrong but I seem to remember that being an option. I got a tune from VMP at the same time I bought my PMAS so it was never something I much cared about.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Can he use a stock 18' intake on a 17? would it match up to the throttle body?

Chris1229

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Performance Pack 1 Mustang GT 401A 10r80
What’s going on guys, I recently purchased LTH long tube headers and Steeda closed box cold air intake for my 2019 PP2 mustang. Anyway my question is, is it worth getting a custom Dyno tune using my sct x4 ($500 for the tune from a well known shop) for my car or should I order a N gauge HP tuner from lund with there custom tunes Instead?

Also is there any advantage to buying a n gauge or should I just use my sct x4?

Kermitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 300A M6
Vehicle Showcase
You're going to need a tune for the JLT intake regardless. You can't run it on a stock tune.

If you can get your hands on a stock 2018 intake with a drop in filter, that's a pretty awesome setup right now since it's bigger than the 15-17 one. Honestly though, I wouldn't worry about it if you're not moving to the 2018 intake manifold.
^ This. ^

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
What’s going on guys, I recently purchased LTH long tube headers and Steeda closed box cold air intake for my 2019 PP2 mustang. Anyway my question is, is it worth getting a custom Dyno tune using my sct x4 ($500 for the tune from a well known shop) for my car or should I order a N gauge HP tuner from lund with there custom tunes Instead?

Also is there any advantage to buying a n gauge or should I just use my sct x4?
I guarantee Lund, AED or PBD who tune these cars all the damn time will provide a better email tune with revisions than a local tuner dyno tune.

With the closed lid Steeda make sure you stick to straight 91/93 or straight e85r tunes as the maf turbulence from that setup makes a flex tune not work correctly.

Sponsored

Chris1229

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Performance Pack 1 Mustang GT 401A 10r80
I guarantee Lund, AED or PBD who tune these cars all the damn time will provide a better email tune with revisions than a local tuner dyno tune.

With the closed lid Steeda make sure you stick to straight 91/93 or straight e85r tunes as the maf turbulence from that setup makes a flex tune not work correctly.
Another question, I don’t daily my car and I live pretty damn close to a very good quality E85 gas station. Do you think it’s better to run 93 for a street driven car or is E85 the only way to go? I have always wanted to run E85 I just want to know I am not making a bad choice by doing a E85r only street car. I read on here there is a fuel additive I should use to keep the everything lubricated while tuning E85 does anyone have a suggestion?

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Well, with your intake it's going to be a pain switching back and forth on fuels unless you're going to run strictly E85. Lucas has some ethanol stabilizer you can put in every few tanks. I like having flex fuel to run the occasional 93 through the tank to clear out all the lines. E85 while very fun is not very convenient especially when you're cruising around at 12-13 mpg.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
Well, with your intake it's going to be a pain switching back and forth on fuels unless you're going to run strictly E85. Lucas has some ethanol stabilizer you can put in every few tanks. I like having flex fuel to run the occasional 93 through the tank to clear out all the lines. E85 while very fun is not very convenient especially when you're cruising around at 12-13 mpg.
I have not tried the Lucas ethanol stabilizer yet. There was a thread on here about some e guys stalling on stopping after using it but not sure if there was direct correlation. I just make sure to run a tank or 2 of good pump every few months, as you mentioned the advantage of the flex option.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I have not tried the Lucas ethanol stabilizer yet. There was a thread on here about some e guys stalling on stopping after using it but not sure if there was direct correlation. I just make sure to run a tank or 2 of good pump every few months, as you mentioned the advantage of the flex option.
Mine actually died when I was backing out of a parking spot at a gas station when I was at like 5 mph or so. It happens so randomly that I don't understand it. The rpms dip and my lambda goes to 0.76 and 0.77 then jumps back up to 1 with the rpm back to normal. Tuner said it's due to the cone style CAI's that they've seen it with. Had my car also die while logging with the Steeda closed intake so I'm not sure. I think it's more to do with the 120MM opening causing turbulence when decelerating.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
Mine actually died when I was backing out of a parking spot at a gas station when I was at like 5 mph or so. It happens so randomly that I don't understand it. The rpms dip and my lambda goes to 0.76 and 0.77 then jumps back up to 1 with the rpm back to normal. Tuner said it's due to the cone style CAI's that they've seen it with. Had my car also die while logging with the Steeda closed intake so I'm not sure. I think it's more to do with the 120MM opening causing turbulence when decelerating.
Interesting never had it die when I was testing the Steeda. Definitely never on the stock box while running ff. Only time personally was when something chewed a hole in my brake booster vac. Once replaced all back to normal.
Sponsored