Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I definitely would not want a small calculator screen, I'd get the biggest screen gt350R.
R model mustangs are slower to depreciate.
At that point, you're looking at a $70,000 MSRP car that will get hit with a pretty hefty markup unless you know some people, and when all is said and done you're almost $100k deep into a Mustang. At that point, I'd buy a Vette (Or, you can build ONE HELL of a fast GT for $100k)
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Driven plenty, they aren't special

Can anyone tell me any significant improvement over the PP2 that the GT350 has that makes the PP2 inherently and uncurably worse? No GT350 guys can ever answer this, they just go on about "muh SHELBY" and "but VOODOO"
I haven't driven a PP2, so I'm not sure.

However, if I compared my 2016 GT350 to a PP2 I would say I like these things about my car:
-GT350 has a special engine
-GT350 is just as quick on the road course with tires that will last 3-4X longer than the tires on the PP2
-GT350 has a better transmission
-GT350 has better brakes
-GT350 has a transmission cooler
-GT350 has a rear differential cooler
-GT350 has a snake on the steering wheel. Snake > Horse :wink:

I think the appearance of the GT350 is better. I think the exclusivity of it is fun.

There's nothing wrong with the PP2. Heck, there's nothing wrong with the base Mustang. IMO all Mustangs are great. However, IMO it's foolish to say the GT350 isn't special. Just the fact that fewer are built compared to other Mustangs makes them special by definition, because they are different than what is usual for a Mustang.

Dictionary
speĀ·cial
/ĖˆspeSHəl/
adjective
  1. 1.
    better, greater, or otherwise different from what is usual.
    "they always made a special effort at Christmas"

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Can someone please put this thread out of it's misery?
beating a dead horse.jpg

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, I'll put a pin in it.

The Bullitt is cool just by association with Steve McQueen.

The GT350 is cool because it is a turn-key track car.

The GT is cool because it's a God damn Mustang.
:thumbsup::fistbump::like::bow:

Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't driven a PP2, so I'm not sure.

However, if I compared my 2016 GT350 to a PP2 I would say I like these things about my car:
-GT350 has a special engine
-GT350 is just as quick on the road course with tires that will last 3-4X longer than the tires on the PP2
-GT350 has a better transmission
-GT350 has better brakes
-GT350 has a transmission cooler
-GT350 has a rear differential cooler
-GT350 has a snake on the steering wheel. Snake > Horse :wink:

I think the appearance of the GT350 is better. I think the exclusivity of it is fun.

There's nothing wrong with the PP2. Heck, there's nothing wrong with the base Mustang. IMO all Mustangs are great. However, IMO it's foolish to say the GT350 isn't special. Just the fact that fewer are built compared to other Mustangs makes them special by definition, because they are different than what is usual for a Mustang.

Dictionary
speĀ·cial
/ĖˆspeSHəl/
adjective
  1. 1.
    better, greater, or otherwise different from what is usual.
    "they always made a special effort at Christmas"
Trans is better, but not incurable. Brakes are better, but not significant. trans cooler isn't needed on the MT82, as it has integrated cooling measures that the tremec doesn't have (thus needing the cooler, and therefore more weight). Diff cooler is a plus but cheap and easy to change on the GT. We don't know that the GT350 is "just as quick" on a road course, but I'd wager it's not. Snake is special doe (forreal though, I'll concede that the GT350 steering wheel is WAY better than the Gt's... after driving a GT350 back to back with my car, I got back in mine and put in an order for a GT350 steering wheel lol)

The definition of "special" as "otherwise different from what is usual" is most fitting here. But still, a Shelby is still just a Mustang... if you buy a Mustang in an attempt to be different, I'm sorry, but you're doing it wrong

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Hello all!
Given the 3, what would you all go with?
Bullitt. They don't appear to sell so I would be aggressive with offer price. My normal opening bid is 78% of MSRP for the car including freight. Or 85% of MSRP for the OTD number. Depending on my mood I can be talked up 2% but that's where I draw the line and walk out.

The GT+PP by itself isn't a worthwhile configuration IMO (I have one). You can upgrade a 300A or 301A car to considerably better than a PP for significantly less money than Ford wants. I saw an almost PP2 car on Sheehy Gaithersburg I think - GT Premium + MagnEride + dig dash, etc for low 40's. Koons Baltimore has several PP2 cars.

The MagnEride is definitely worth having over the PP dampers. So unless your intent is to rip and replace the shocks with Steeda, Ford Performance Track shocks, or go hog-wild for $3000+ coil-over setup the Magneride is a must have in my book. Wheels and tires are cheap and factory items are rarely all that good.

Don't be shy about hitting up the local MD dealers - you can save a pretty penny since their cost structure is different. If no joy, give Sheridan and Porter outside of Wilmington a ring.

I'll also be that guy WRT the Camaro - Koons Chev in Tysons. 38OTD on a 1SS+1LE (45K MSRP). They've got a few more. If you're trading in the C6 to get a Mustang, you should be able to wrangle a $2000 conquest incentive to sweeten the pot.

If you're gonna do it, I would try to do it while the Memorial Day hoopla is in effect.

Last edited:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Trans is better, but not incurable. Brakes are better, but not significant. trans cooler isn't needed on the MT82, as it has integrated cooling measures that the tremec doesn't have (thus needing the cooler, and therefore more weight). Diff cooler is a plus but cheap and easy to change on the GT. We don't know that the GT350 is "just as quick" on a road course, but I'd wager it's not. Snake is special doe (forreal though, I'll concede that the GT350 steering wheel is WAY better than the Gt's... after driving a GT350 back to back with my car, I got back in mine and put in an order for a GT350 steering wheel lol)

The definition of "special" as "otherwise different from what is usual" is most fitting here. But still, a Shelby is still just a Mustang... if you buy a Mustang in an attempt to be different, I'm sorry, but you're doing it wrong
The brakes are considerably better if you're an advanced track driver. Larger, two piece, but also have tapered piston bore sizes to promote a lot better pad wear (like race brakes do). The radial mount of the caliper is also better for feel and performance than the traditional axial mount of most cars. If you are a serious track guy, this stuff is significant and a reason to buy.

The aero on the Shelby is better for track performance than the PP2 also. People underestimate the goodness of OEM integration. I can speak from experience: converting a base GT to a PP + much better suspension, I really wish I had not been cheap and had bought the PP to start from.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
But.... this isn't a thread about what is better, it's about what is best for the OP.

A Mustang PP2, or Bullitt suits his needs real well.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
But.... this isn't a thread about what is better, it's about what is best for the OP.

A Mustang PP2, or Bullitt suits his needs real well.
So that's what you think that the OP coming from a Corvette Grand Sport would prefer?

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So that's what you think that the OP coming from a Corvette Grand Sport would prefer?
OP wrote: "I don't race my cars but may do some auto crossing."

So short of the local NoVA owners collectively dragging his "sorry ass" to Summit Point for Fridays at the Track, one could argue he didn't use the Corvette as intended, so why would he change tack with a future Shelby, which costs a hell of a lot more? I personally wouldn't spend Bullitt/Corvette/Shelby money and not take it to the track every damn opportunity I could get. But some people really aren't into that sort of thing. Hell, given the number of 2000 or less miles on so many 350s that are 2+ years old, I wonder why did these people buy a car at all? I put 2000 miles on my GT in 3 months and I'm splitting time between three 4 wheelers and several bikes let alone accounting for end of Winter weather.

So yes, Bullitt or PP2 seems a reasonable answer given the options. Speaking of which, @pdac gorgeous Ruby GT+Prem+PP2 sitting up in Sterling Koons.

Last edited:

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
OP wrote: "I don't race my cars but may do some auto crossing."

So short of the local NoVA owners collectively dragging his "sorry ass" to Summit Point for Fridays at the Track, one could argue he didn't use the Corvette as intended, so why would he change tack with a future Shelby, which costs a hell of a lot more? I personally wouldn't spend Bullitt/Corvette/Shelby money and not take it to the track every damn opportunity I could get. But some people really aren't into that sort of thing. Hell, given the number of 2000 or less miles on so many 350s that are 2+ years old, I wonder why did these people buy a car at all? I put 2000 miles on my GT in 3 months and I'm splitting time between three 4 wheelers and several bikes let alone accounting for end of Winter weather.

So yes, Bullitt or PP2 seems a reasonable answer given the options.
Where did this idea that buying a GT350 and not tracking it was some dumb move?

Do all Ferrari owners track their cars? Porsche? Miata?

Not sure I agree with the logic coming from many here, but opinions yield diversity so - I digress.

That said - 2000 miles in 3 months in a Mustang GT, Veyron, FXXK.. Tercel.. to me sounds like why did u even buy it. But - again with diverse opinions.

Btw, Iā€™m approaching 22k on my R.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I guess I needed to put in the "tongue in cheek" icon.

The general thrust of "get the GT350" comments have been about lauding it's track-worthiness, which the OP is unlikely to use, and therefore irrelevant to the decision matrix. Nobody said you can't buy one only to let it rot in the garage or horrors, drive it around like any ol' Camry. The 2000 mile thing was simply to point out that a disturbing number of these don't get driven AT ALL, regardless of street/track. Kudos to you for maximizing your smiles/mile by actually using it.

> Do all Ferrari owners track their cars? Porsche?

No, not by a long shot. I stood next to probably 10 million worth of super-cars one morning as they drove a 8 mile 'lap' of Sterling. I asked at least 12 drivers how did they enjoy taking their ride to Summit Point or VIR. Most had never heard of the facilities. Point being there are track people and not-track people. They are equally willing to spend $$$$$$$ on a car.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
It is. At the end of the day it's still just a Mustang so if you're going to live with the cheap Mustang bits on a car that will depreciate, you should use it how it was meant to be used. If you don't, you're paying a lot extra for things you can't really use the advantage of on the street (brakes, suspension, cooling, the redline beyond 2nd gear)

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
It is. At the end of the day it's still just a Mustang so if you're going to live with the cheap Mustang bits on a car that will depreciate, you should use it how it was meant to be used. If you don't, you're paying a lot extra for things you can't really use the advantage of on the street (brakes, suspension, cooling, the redline beyond 2nd gear)
Almost every car will depreciate. Cheap mustang bits or expensive Mercedes bits..

We can agree to generally disagree on the premise that one shouldnā€™t own a thing that isnā€™t going to be utilized the way it was meant to be used. For starters - the GT350R is a street car that you can track. So driving it on the street and or track is using it how it was meant to be used. In fact - itā€™s not even an ideal track car. Itā€™s expensive to run because itā€™s heavy with expensive splitter, spoiler and wheels. The motor is so expensive to run Ford racing teams donā€™t even bother... among other things.

For you - it doesnā€™t make sense to spend the extra money to buy a GT350 and street it as much or more than you track it. Thatā€™s cool. Donā€™t do that.

Iā€™m not sure why you donā€™t think itā€™s possible to take advantage of better brakes, suspension, cooling and an 8250 redline on the street.

Iā€™m not Mr Rogers and neither are you.. you drive a damn Mustang... and if you do drive around like Mr Rogers in your 8cyl Pony car on the street - then youā€™re contradicting yourself.
Sponsored