Sponsored

Engine went off on left lane of the highway at 190 km/h (118 mph)

hdgram

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dieter
Vehicle(s)
2018 MUSTANG GT PREMIUM CONVERTIBLE
2018 GT Convertible, AT, MR, 21.000 km (13.000 miles)

As said in title I was on the highway on sunday, driving on left lane to pass slower cars with speed around 190 km/h (118 mph) when the engine went off without any warning. (And no, I didn't touch "Start/Stop" and touching "Start/Stop" while the car is driving will not shut down the engine.)

I was able to reach the hard shoulder and stopped the car.

Starting the engine again was impossible.

I opened the door, closed it again and locked the car. Waited two minutes and unlocked the car.

Engine started without any problems. Full power, everything as allways.

No errors in error memory.

Mine is the fourth 2018er GT AT reported in German mustang6.de forum with that problem.

Anyone else here?
Sponsored

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
First of all, I'd like to say how extremely jealous I am that you're able to drive your Mustang in Germany. I was in Regensburg for two weeks over the summer, working in Hohenfels, and every day was a FANTASTIC drive to work. I had a diesel Passat as a rental, and drove that thing all over the place. Suddenly, 130 MPH isn't that fast, especially when you're going that fast and someone in an Audi RS5 flies up behind you, going WELL faster.

Anyway, it's weird that the engine completely shut down, without going into limp mode, or something. Have you been able to take it to the dealership? Was the car overheating? It almost seems like a sensor failed, or you lost all electrical. Bad ground somewhere? I'd let the dealer take care of troubleshooting it.

JR

OP
OP

hdgram

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dieter
Vehicle(s)
Just got ist back from my dealer. Ford Cologne told him that it is a known issue and it happened to three other ponies befor (as I know from our forum).
They also told him, that it is a problem of communication between control units and that there will come an update within the next future.
They were instructed to clear the fault memory and return the vehicle to me.
They said, that this error never occurred a second time.

So we will see, what will happen. As long as I do not get the reverse gear switched on at 200 km / h, I will be able handle it.

Anyway: Wondering, how many others all over the world had this issue!

OP
OP

hdgram

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dieter
Vehicle(s)
Oops, I did it again yesterday evening.
Now we have had error codes
U0100-28
U0100-08
B1418
U0146
Ford Cologne told my dealer, that there will be an update for this problem in week 25.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Oops, I did it again yesterday evening.
Now we have had error codes
U0100-28
U0100-08
B1418
U0146
Ford Cologne told my dealer, that there will be an update for this problem in week 25.
Curious - when this has now happened a second time to you - can you recall anything that you were doing before the car shut down?

Is it happening only at a certain speed and RPM?

This is strictly only a guess - but I’m wondering if the speed limiter is not programmed correctly on S550’s that were transported overseas? So suppose the limiter is set to a totally hypothetical 100mph and if the car reaches that speed, but a sustained speed of 100mph, the PCM clips power?

That could explain the “communication error” between the modules.

Sponsored

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
How were you able to stop the car with no brake assist? That's scary as all hell.

OP
OP

hdgram

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dieter
Vehicle(s)
Both times same situation.
Sport+, AT on "S", exhaust on "RACE", using paddels.
full acceleration from 100 km/h, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th gear, shifting gears around 6.800 rpm. Same moment i chiftet from 6th to 7th engine went off.
System stored a speed of 198 km/h

The car ran without an engine about 300 meters and I could slow it down without any problems

Anything else went the same way as first time. Closing door, locking it, waiting for two minutes and everything was fine again.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
This sou
Just got ist back from my dealer. Ford Cologne told him that it is a known issue and it happened to three other ponies befor (as I know from our forum).
They also told him, that it is a problem of communication between control units and that there will come an update within the next future.
They were instructed to clear the fault memory and return the vehicle to me.
They said, that this error never occurred a second time.
If everyone is running the same software and only your car (and a few others) has an issue, then what's the chances a software update will make a difference ?

Based on the code description, looks like they should be focusing more on hardware components :

Potential Causes This is not a common problem. It's been my experience that the most likely failure is the ECM, PCM or transmission control module.
Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/u0100
Copyright OBD-Codes.com

Sponsored

growler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt pp
mine did it once was going 85 mph and had to weave to the shoulder with no power...shut the car off restarted it and never did it again and that was a year ago

Nonsequitur

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Euro Spec - 2014 Focus ST with EFR7163
Just had this happen to me yesterday. Full throttle from a stoplight and engine dies suddenly when shifting from 4th to 5th. Car was in Sport+ mode with transmission in D. After rolling to the side of the road, the engine would not start. I shut the car off completely and waited for about 20 seconds then it started normally. No engine light and no stored codes. Weird....

OP
OP

hdgram

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dieter
Vehicle(s)
Go to your dealer and ask him to look for updates for your pony.

The PCM (power-train control module) has ben updated at my car late June and it did not happen again untill now.

Another special effekt is, that the automatic transmission is running much better since I got the software for PCM updated.

Nonsequitur

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Euro Spec - 2014 Focus ST with EFR7163
Go to your dealer and ask him to look for updates for your pony.

The PCM (power-train control module) has ben updated at my car late June and it did not happen again untill now.

Another special effekt is, that the automatic transmission is running much better since I got the software for PCM updated.
Yeah, that's what I was planning to do. Cheers!
Sponsored