Sponsored

Why doesn't the Mustang have keypad code entry?

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
I think Subaru offers a good substitute to that silly touch bad. You can program the trunk release button (very similar to the Mustang's) to unlock the car. You press the button in the correct sequence and it unlocks. The downside is the key will not allow you to lock it inside the car. You have to get a box or bag that kills the RF signal to do it.

Abby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Fair enough. Keypad entry is a signature Ford move and in my wife's Edge you don't even see the keypad unless you touch the frame. It's very nice. It's a feature I'll miss because no matter what you still need a fob to get in the car.
Given there is no center door pillar on a Mustang, where would you like them to put the keypad?

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
The Mustang is not a SUV... that is why!

Matter of fact, in the Mustang you can not throw your keys in the car and shut the door and head down to the lake.... only to come back and input your "key code" to unlock the car.

But the more insightful question is, did you go to to the lake with, or with our your cellphone..?

Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
The Mustang is not a SUV... that is why!

Matter of fact, in the Mustang you can not throw your keys in the car and shut the door and head down to the lake.... only to come back and input your "key code" to unlock the car.

But the more insightful question is, did you go to to the lake with, or with our your cellphone..?
Lots of family cars in the 90's and early 00's had it, not just SUV's. Also its very possible if camping that you have no cell reception, which would make it useless.

1MEAN18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
I loved reading the replies on this thread. I remember my SHO had it, so did a Lincoln I owned. I never used it on either car...and with that said, I agree with the remark earlier that it is "so 90's". I also think OP makes a point about locking his keys in the car while boating, but I don't remember the OP answering a follow up question which does he or does he not also take his cell phone in the kayak/boat? Although I can probably guess that answer. A nope, dare I say? Interesting thread though...even though for 99.999% of us the idea of a keypad on a Mustang is a foreign concept. I'm sure glad Ford didn't ugly up my car with one...and I'm so glad they used the money they saved to give me much more useful, and proper hood lifts instead of that ugly old prop rod which is so 1965....er uh, wait, uh scratch that. LOL

samanosuke47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
I see the keypad as a utilitarian type thing. As mentioned, on like a truck or on a family vehicle makes sense, or outdoorsy type thing. I don't imagine a Sports car really has need of one, but there is a place they could hide it pretty well in the .. B pillar.. I think there's like just some extra glass there, it'd hide alright there. But I'm overall like 'meh'. I don't want that on my car - I could see some use cases, but most of those cases will turn into.. "Margaret, our Escape is more appropriate to drive 20 miles into wilderness than my Mustang, to then park and go boating. I'm sorry."

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
All you Naysayers have never taken advantage of the keyless pad entry. Some of your remarks are also snarky. Just because you have never understood the usefulness of having one you try to make others feel like a idiot for wanting one.

It would be impossible to have one on a Mustang because of current intelligent key fob-security system. 2009 has been the last year you could install one on a Mustang.

Personally I have paid hundreds of dollars to have these installed on Ford vehicle that did not have from factory. I wish I had one on my Mustang.

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
Why in the hell would you want some ugly ass 1990s style keypad on the door of a potentially $80k+ sports car? If you’re really worried about being somewhere where you don’t have cell data to use the app, get one of those magnetic key holders and store the backup key under the car somewhere

Sponsored

mc68386

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
All you Naysayers have never taken advantage of the keyless pad entry. Some of your remarks are also snarky. Just because you have never understood the usefulness of having one you try to make others feel like a idiot for wanting one.

It would be impossible to have one on a Mustang because of current intelligent key fob-security system. 2009 has been the last year you could install one on a Mustang.

Personally I have paid hundreds of dollars to have these installed on Ford vehicle that did not have from factory. I wish I had one on my Mustang.
The dealer gave me an F150 as a loaner once (all they had available) and when they gave me the keys the guy starts telling me a pin code and how to unlock it, and I'm thinking "are they giving me a 1997 F150? Isn't there a key fob?" Well this was a 2017 and there was a key fob. I've since learned that this is just a truck thing and that truck guys expect it. Ford would probably rather that us Mustang guys never knew this existed. :)

TaraFirma

Wait.....Wut?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 GT, 17 GT350, 19 GT, 65 coupe, 13 F-150, 14 Porsche Panamera eHybrid
I have a F150 and my wife has a Edge and we've had Explorers in the past. Looking at trading in my F150 for a Mustang but shocked that they don't have keypad access. Anyone know why this isn't even offered?
All the vehicles you mentioned have one thing in common that your mustang does not share with them.
They are North American cars only.
My guess would be that now that The Mustang is a global car, and the rest of the world isn’t interested in our little conveniences like entry keypads, integrated garage door openers and actual Air conditioned seats, and the fact that we as mustang owners and enthusiast never requested it, Ford didn’t bother to design it into the Mustang.

OP
OP
slowrey

slowrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
All the vehicles you mentioned have one thing in common that your mustang does not share with them.
They are North American cars only.
My guess would be that now that The Mustang is a global car, and the rest of the world isn’t interested in our little conveniences like entry keypads, integrated garage door openers and actual Air conditioned seats, and the fact that we as mustang owners and enthusiast never requested it, Ford didn’t bother to design it into the Mustang.
Thanks for giving me possible reasons without trying to make me look like a jerk.

For those who have never had a keypad it's great. Many times with the F-150 or the Edge, I or my wife would have the key in pocket and the other would have to go grab something we forgot out of the car. Or when we'd go floating etc, we'd lock the key in the car so no one lost it on the river. Or just as simply as I need something out of the car but didn't want to go grab the keys.

Thanks for the suggestions, I was just curious why because my wife's car has remote start and a security system but it has the hidden keypad in it as well.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Because you take a normal vehicle outdoors and off road in places in the woods. Not a Mustang.
Sponsored