Sponsored

Programming Key Fob With One Key

XCRN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang
I lost one of my fobs, or more specifically the chipped part fell of the key ring part. I would like to avoid having to pay $270 for a new one, and there are a lot of used fobs out there for a lot less. But it looks like to reprogram it myself I need 2 fobs according to some of the write ups online. Is it possible to do it with only one fob and also it looks like the generic Ford fobs are a lot cheaper, could an F150 or Escape fob for example work if I need to go to the dealer?
Sponsored

ssteph1984

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
I have the same question - hopefully with a couple of us having the same issue someone will reply. I just bought a 2015 Mustang GT Premium Vert from a Ford dealer in Seattle WA. They only gave me intelligent access key. Just bought a second off ebay then read the instructions for programming again and saw that in order to program a fob you have to have 2 programmed ones in the car. What do I do now?? Can it be programmed using ForScan??

David Schmidt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 PP1 401A
Called a local locksmith. Quoted 40.00 flat rate. That's gotta be cheaper than the dealer so I'm going to have it done tomorrow. Thanks.
I'm in the same boat - didn't think to ask the dealer to throw in a second key as part of the deal. This is an example of my fob, which includes an emergency key:
Ebay ad
Looks like they cut the key before sending it for an additional $20. Does the local locksmith service include this, or do they just do the programming?

Sponsored

ssteph1984

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
I'm in the same boat - didn't think to ask the dealer to throw in a second key as part of the deal. This is an example of my fob, which includes an emergency key:
Ebay ad
Looks like they cut the key before sending it for an additional $20. Does the local locksmith service include this, or do they just do the programming?
I'll have to ask tomorrow when I get it programmed. I'll follow up with a reply.

David Schmidt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
In the mean time, I did download and activate the FordPass app (which I hadn't heard anything good about) so now I at least have a second way to unlock the car. In my travels, I learned the door unlocking function is only free for premium trim cars, so I guess I paid for it already.

David Schmidt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
The way history played out... I got bumped in the rear (https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...ing-at-the-head-end-of-a-5-car-pileup.144428/) and as a result, I got my car fixed by a shop I trust and got a handsome diminished value check for my trouble. I felt flush with cash, and splurged for a new dealer-created key at full retail (I think they were running a $100 off special at the time, but it still wasn't cheap).

Vertex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Devan
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 FJG HP
Having previously worked at a ford dealer this is how it works/what I suggest. If you have at least one key fob for the vehicle you do not need 2 fobs/keys to program another. You only need 1 that you’re able to still start the vehicle with, if you have no keys for the vehicle at all is when you have to purchase 2 new ones.
I personally recommend calling and at least getting a part number to go off of because there are a few interchanging ones between some of the ford vehicles but others will not work. I have had very poor luck programming aftermarket ones on fords the most out of our 3 domestic brands.
As far as the locksmith cutting a key for you they should be able to, however, they do need the key code that only the dealers can get if it is one of the worm cut keys(cut is literally all inside the keyblade and has no cuts on the outside edges of the key).

hope this helps

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I know this is an older thread but I'll add my experience in case it helps someone.
When I bought mine it only had 1 fob and the dealer agreed to provide a second one.
The dealer had a mobile locksmith meet me at the dealership. The locksmith programed the new fob and cut the key using the VIN. Not a key code, just the VIN, I asked to be sure. The whole process took about 15 minutes. I don't know the cost as the dealer paid the Invoice.

Also, according to my owners manual you do need two programed keys to add a key yourself unless you have a scanner/ programmer capable of doing it.

Screenshot_20220301-124401_Drive.jpg

bryyce62

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G dub
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
One of the first things I did when I bought the car was to get a 3rd key fob. I've learned my lesson with losing a key/FOB for a Ford vehicle. I'll always have at least 2 keys for my vehicles.

Zeus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Good evening, hopefully this is the correct thread to post this question. I purchased a used 2019 GT350 last November, but it only came with on key FOB. I would like to pick up another one, but I'm looking for advice on whether or not to just get the extra fob from a local dealership or to pick one up from Ebay (or elsewhere) and bring it in to the dealer to get it programmed? There's a very large price difference online for what appears to be the exact same FOB. I don't want to waste money on Ebay if it will not work. Besides, I'm not even sure which one to purchase. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored