The big Intercooler thread.

Blk18EcoPP1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost PP1 (manual)
You can go too big of an intercooler in some situations, that being said I am pretty sure our turbos are so small stock that there would not be enough of a drop in pressure to affect the performance that much, I think it is pretty well balanced, and you can always tune that out either way to make up the difference on the back end. I think the overall benefits of a much larger intercooler could outweigh any loss of boost at the TB side of things with the quicker cooling recovery you get with more surface area. This leads to more consistent performance in a heat soak situation.

I was fine with the mishimoto in my stock configuration but found it lacking with the larger turbo application. I learned my lesson from the lost benefits during that trial and error situation and I went with the full size ETS as well for the drop in larger unit.
My charge temps were getting to about 110 - 120 just driving to work on stock IC . Now they are around 85 . Even pushing the car I have not seen temps get over 95
Sponsored

5.0yote

AKA Bananana & 3.7Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
My charge temps were getting to about 110 - 120 just driving to work on stock IC . Now they are around 85 . Even pushing the car I have not seen temps get over 95
Yup those were similar results I saw with my mishimoto IC, till I had my big turbo, depending on your weather you can come to a stop light and hit 128 degrees, and that is no bueno for power.... Granted the recovery was better once I got going than stock, but still all depends on the temp and humidity. Both being high in summer months, the ambients affect air and pressure. Recovery is much more improved the more surface area you can get airflow through so.

KewlWinter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EcoBoost Premium+ Ruby Red
Vehicle Showcase
Just replaced the stock intercooler and pipes with an ATM intercooler and CVF charge pipes in my 2018. What a difference! Doesn't matter how many back to back hard pulls I do, the charge temps stay steady. The only time I see the temps go up is sitting at a light, but even then the temps go down much more quickly once I get going again. Also, I haven't seen any degradation of throttle response which was one of my fears of going to a huge intercooler. Here in Florida, the stock intercooler is a joke due to the heat and humidity.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Just a heads up for those looking for one of the most efficient IC's for this platform at a great price. For a limited time we have several blem units available for forum members at 20% off. And of course our usual 10% forum discount for regulars. PM me for more info!
eco_fmic1_1024x1024.jpg
Pm sent

cvf-jason

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cvfab.com
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Mustang
For those looking to keep their AGS and stick with a stock replacement unit, It'sMr.Smith was awesome enough to provide us with some unbiased, third-party data showing that CVF Street intercooler facilitated a whopping 40 degree reduction in charge air temperatures during street testing.

We offer a forum discount to all forum members to give you a bit more money off an already unbeatable price, so feel free to reach out, and check out the review below! :)

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/cv-fab-intercooler-review-and-datalogs.118311/

Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
For those looking to keep their AGS and stick with a stock replacement unit, It'sMr.Smith was awesome enough to provide us with some unbiased, third-party data showing that CVF Street intercooler facilitated a whopping 40 degree reduction in charge air temperatures during street testing.

We offer a forum discount to all forum members to give you a bit more money off an already unbeatable price, so feel free to reach out, and check out the review below! :)

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/cv-fab-intercooler-review-and-datalogs.118311/
I thought I read you are looking to develop a larger unit as well, any truth to that?

cvf-jason

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cvfab.com
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Mustang
I thought I read you are looking to develop a larger unit as well, any truth to that?
Yes sir - it's currently in development and on the way. You guys will be the first to know.

Phatmuffinman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 PP Ecoboost
Howdy all. I have had my '15 EB PP for a year or so. It currently has a Ford proCal tune, Roush CAI, and a race MBRP exhaust. I live in Cincinnati OH and only drive her from April to November. In the future I don't plan on upgrading the turbo. I will more than likely grab some radials and call it a day.

My question is:

Does anyone offer an aftermarket IC that is mainly set for street performance? I will more than likely never bring this to the track. Trying to budget for less than $600. Thanks for any help!

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Howdy all. I have had my '15 EB PP for a year or so. It currently has a Ford proCal tune, Roush CAI, and a race MBRP exhaust. I live in Cincinnati OH and only drive her from April to November. In the future I don't plan on upgrading the turbo. I will more than likely grab some radials and call it a day.

My question is:

Does anyone offer an aftermarket IC that is mainly set for street performance? I will more than likely never bring this to the track. Trying to budget for less than $600. Thanks for any help!
All of them should do fine on the street. Check out CV Fab, they are a vendor here and offer the most cost effective solution that I know of.

cvf-jason

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cvfab.com
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Mustang

My question is:

Sent you a PM!

Sponsored

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
I thought I'd post this here for future reference. I just purchased and installed a G-Plus intercooler on my 2018. Yes, this is one of the inexpensive Chinese intercoolers sold on Ebay, $323 shipped. My engine is 100% stock, no tune, etc. My only objective was to prevent power loss due to heat soaking during HPDE events.
20190209_115406.jpg

General observation on the intercooler itself;
- Appears well made, decent welds, etc.
- No hardware provided. You need to get a bolt to attach MAP sensor.
- No diverter blades in the input tank. Without this, I suspect very little air will pass through the upper part of the cooler.
- Heavy! 30 lbs, vs 6.5 lbs for stock.

Install;
- In the description, they say this can be installed without removing the bumper cover. Impossible. The cover must be removed, and the steel impact beam as well. (Note: Removing the bumper cover on a 2018/19 is slightly different than earlier cars. Instead of a single screw attaching the corner of the cover to the fender inside the wheel well, there are two 10mm nuts that are accessed from the engine compartment. None of the install videos mention this.)
- Fit well with no modifications necessary (Note: I have a Perf Pack car, so no shutters)
20190209_141026.jpg

I really won't be able to speak to it's effectiveness until I get it out on the track (Road America in May). Especially with the sub zero weather we've had lately, i.e., you could probably run no intercooler and be fine!
UPDATE - I just got back from a two day HPDE at Road America. I am happy to report that the new intercooler performed flawlessly. I was able to maintain max boost (20-22 psi) without any problems, zero heatsoak issues during 30 min run sessions. It was a cool weather (50s), but I know the stock intercooler couldn't do this. Very happy!

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I take my Mustang to a extremely recommended speed shop in Seattle that specializes in Mustangs and Corvettes. That being said Brad the owner highly recommends the Vortech Intercooler for our cars if we plan on tracking them. Anyone here running one and does it perform as a $1100 Intercooler should?

KewlWinter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EcoBoost Premium+ Ruby Red
Vehicle Showcase
I take my Mustang to a extremely recommended speed shop in Seattle that specializes in Mustangs and Corvettes. That being said Brad the owner highly recommends the Vortech Intercooler for our cars if we plan on tracking them. Anyone here running one and does it perform as a $1100 Intercooler should?
I'm sure it works just as well as others in its class, but imho its overpriced. I looked at it and many others, and when I finally finished weeding through specs and price, I only had 3 that made my list based on my budget and goals; ATM, ETS, and cp-e Delta Core V2. I ended up with the ATM and am extremely happy with my decision. And at the $560 price I paid for my ATM, I spent half as much for more intercooler.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Agree with KewlWinter. Go with the atm, you won't be disappointed

Reactions: Cxp

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I'm sure it works just as well as others in its class, but imho its overpriced. I looked at it and many others, and when I finally finished weeding through specs and price, I only had 3 that made my list based on my budget and goals; ATM, ETS, and cp-e Delta Core V2. I ended up with the ATM and am extremely happy with my decision. And at the $560 price I paid for my ATM, I spent half as much for more intercooler.
It looks to me the ATMs are very similar in build quality to the Vortech, if not identical. I'm assuming the $550 was a sale price which is half of what the Vortech is. I just emailed the owner of the performance shop I take it to for his opinion on the cp-e and the ATM.
Sponsored