MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
If I had to speculate though, I'd say the GT350R, comes close, but does not beat the base ZL1 around the ring. ZL1 1LE, not even close. Too much power difference to make up.
FYI, the ZL1 and ZL1 1LE (aka, ZLE) have the same engine/power output. The difference is in the wheels/tires, DSSV setup, aero and some weight.
Sponsored

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat / 2019 350R #413
As you can see, I'm fairly neutral in this, you will also see the Ford GT's time absent from the list as well. Ford does not officially test on the ring. So, your statement does not really hold much water.

The time set on the GT350R was not done by the manufacturer. If I had to speculate though, I'd say the GT350R, comes close, but does not beat the base ZL1 around the ring. ZL1 1LE, not even close. Too much power difference to make up.
I wonder why Ford doesn’t use the Ring to set times. Has the GT ever been driven on the Ring?

I still think that if the 350R had a Ring time to boast about Ford would be all over it. It would make zero sense to ignore a good lap time at the Ring considering the automotive landscape these days.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
I wonder why Ford doesn’t use the Ring to set times. Has the GT ever been driven on the Ring?

I still think that if the 350R had a Ring time to boast about Ford would be all over it. It would make zero sense to ignore a good lap time at the Ring considering the automotive landscape these days.
I have done a lot of reading about the ring and certain cars are so low to the ground that the one hill when they leave the ground that when they come down it will kinda messes up the cars. The bouncing is just too much for a lot of cars so they don't go around it. I don't blame them. I would not want to take my $3 million Bugatti around it and do $250k worth of damage to get a fast time. The “Südschleife” (South Loop) is more for F1 cars and is 3.2 miles. The “Nordschleife” (North Loop) which is what most people talk about is the 12.9 mile loop. So it is a little dangerous. The guy that made the record back in 1983, Stefan Bellof in Porsche 956, was later killed in the South Loop.

It is so dangerous that many manufacturers don't bother.

This guy got killed. So not hilarious....

Last edited:

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
I have done a lot of reading about the ring and certain cars are so low to the ground that the one hill when they leave the ground that when they come down it will kinda messes up the cars. The bouncing is just too much for a lot of cars so they don't go around it. I don't blame them. I would not want to take my $3 million Bugatti around it and do $250k worth of damage to get a fast time. The “Südschleife” (South Loop) is more for F1 cars and is 3.2 miles. The “Nordschleife” (North Loop) which is what most people talk about is the 12.9 mile loop. So it is a little dangerous. The guy that made the record back in 1983, Stefan Bellof in Porsche 956, was later killed in the South Loop.

It is so dangerous that many manufacturers don't bother.

This guy got killed. So not hilarious....

You may be right. There are cars in the same price range as the GT or even higher that regularly put down lap times at that track.

We will never know Ford’s reasoning. Either way, what the Zl1 1LE did last year was quite a feat. Surprised the hell out of everyone.

I’m eagered to see what Randy Probst will do with the 500 when he gets his hands on it. I’m sure that he will put it up against its immediate competitor (the new automatic Zl1 1LE). If the 500 turns out to be faster than the new automatic option in the 1LE, then let’s hope GM fires back with some sort of upgrade for the Camaro before the electric car fad kicks into high gear.

It’s a great time to be a car enthusiast, too bad it’s coming to and end........ hopefully not for very long.

Sponsored

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
You may be right. There are cars in the same price range as the GT or even higher that regularly put down lap times at that track.

We will never know Ford’s reasoning. Either way, what the Zl1 1LE did last year was quite a feat. Surprised the hell out of everyone.

I’m eagered to see what Randy Probst will do with the 500 when he gets his hands on it. I’m sure that he will put it up against its immediate competitor (the new automatic Zl1 1LE). If the 500 turns out to be faster than the new automatic option in the 1LE, then let’s hope GM fires back with some sort of upgrade for the Camaro before the electric car fad kicks into high gear.

It’s a great time to be a car enthusiast, too bad it’s coming to and end........ hopefully not for very long.
Randy Pobst is kinda a legend around Mazda Raceway. As he says, "I got the line on that", he should hopefully run both, same day so no one can say, that they were not run on the same day so it doesn't count: actually, I am kinda sick of that statement. I am sure most people would recognize "the winner" using times only., It is "the way it makes you feel" between the two that will always be up for debate.

On the electric subject, I am not sure I want one but having two electric motors kicking in on the front end is definitely a turn holder.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Er, kinda, it was more along these lines:

"The A10 ZLE will break into the 6s"

"No way"

"Well, the ZLE was 13 seconds faster than the ZL1, nobody expected that"

The problem with this: the 13s difference, while a bit surprising, was due to some factors that had massive track impact, i.e., tires, aero, DSSV, weight. Now we're talking about (AFAWK), just a transmission change (which also increases the weight a touch). I don't see how that would have as much impact, and especially considering it has to make up 16 seconds vs. the ZLE M6 time.

From Motor Trend [note the bold]:

So that's 0.29 of a second on a 2.5 mile track, they finally managed to squeak out of the A10 (I'd say it actually got more tweaking than the manual). ZL1 vs. ZL1, same spec, you know, with whatever margin of error for production variations.

Extrapolate that into the 12.9 mile 'Ring? That's ~ 1.5 seconds gain, even though I realize that's a pretty non-scientific estimate. Point being, gaining ANOTHER 16 seconds over the M6 ZLE from just a tranny change is __very__ unlikely.
Good post.

I’ll just leave my thoughts here:

It’s known that GM actually did (by their word) a 7:13 unofficially with the ZLE. The official time is 7:16.

Now, extrapolating above and given some horse shoes, I feel we’ll potentially see a 7:09.999.

That is BLAZING for a pony car. The NISMO GTR Nspec did 7:08.xxx

Rothgray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT

It's because the ring times are not consistent.

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
I don't know man. I don't buy this not consistent argument for Ford not doing it. A tremendous percentage of the car world that makes these high performance sports cars use it.

I'm not looking to debate anyone on the topic, I just find it intriguing.

Sponsored

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
has anyone here bought a car based on/lack of "ring times" ? Its like the 0-60 for me.. means nothing
That’s a loaded question.

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
has anyone here bought a car based on/lack of "ring times" ? Its like the 0-60 for me.. means nothing
I certainly didn’t get my Zl1 1LE because of what it did at the Nurburgring. But I’ll tell you that it made the smile on my face a little bigger while I was researching the car and while I driving it home the first day.

Rothgray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Tell that to everyone who bought the Huracan Performante, the current Ring King. "Let's sell a stripped out car for more, but since ti is the ring champ, beating out cars 3x it's price, it'll be a sales success" They were right.

I am betting the Huracan Evo, with its All wheel stearing added, and the Performante components, will also be a massive performer, allowing owners to finally add in options again. Hence, why I'm getting one :D

Rothgray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I don't know man. I don't buy this not consistent argument for Ford not doing it. A tremendous percentage of the car world that makes these high performance sports cars use it.

I'm not looking to debate anyone on the topic, I just find it intriguing.
It's never been Ford's thing to use the ring as a benchmark. Sure, many makes do it, and I agree its a gold standard, but it's not consistent. Different places on the track to start, weather conditions, rolling starts vs. stand stills etc.

I've been on it before. It's a long, and challenging track. But, it's beat up, and not in great condition. There are better tracks.
Sponsored