Sponsored

Who is Trading in 350R for new GT500?

VoodooPower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold 2011 GT, Sold 2016 GT 350, 2018 GT 350R JR034
I’m curios on how many 350R owners will be trading or selling for the new GT500? I currently have a GT350 but I may be in the market for GT350R. I’m thinking there may be a wave of them hit the market with owners trading them in for the new GT500. I’m hoping more hit the market. I have to have a manual so I’m not jumping for the GT500 yet. Only bad thing these trade ins won’t hit the market in the spring because ford can never launch a new mustang in the spring. We have to wait until the fall for GT500 release.
Sponsored

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
I was thinking for trading my 350 for a R but my dealer wont even respond to my emails -.-

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
This will be interesting. From my own point of view the two models fill different niche’s. The GT500 being a few hundred pounds heavier regardless of improvements made to the suspension probably won’t be as good of a track car compared to a GT350, especially an R. Similarly the 350 is no brute force drag car which it seems the 500 is very well suited for, especially with the DCT.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I think you’re on the wrong track here. I don’t think the market will be flooded with R guys trading in for this. Apples and oranges; two completely different cars. I know I wouldn’t.

Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I’m curios on how many 350R owners will be trading or selling for the new GT500? I currently have a GT350 but I may be in the market for GT350R. I’m thinking there may be a wave of them hit the market with owners trading them in for the new GT500. I’m hoping more hit the market. I have to have a manual so I’m not jumping for the GT500 yet. Only bad thing these trade ins won’t hit the market in the spring because ford can never launch a new mustang in the spring. We have to wait until the fall for GT500 release.
Based on the group of guys that I hang with in different parts of NA I do not know of one of them that will trade their R in for a GT500 but can say that I know of a couple of R owners that will possibly add a GT500 to their stable in addition to their R model. Just maybe the gang that I hang with are mostly older guys as well thus the resistance to change as we get older therefore I could be way off base on my assumptions.

As someone has probably mentioned these two Mustangs attract two entirely different types of enthusiasts with one group steering towards NA engines versus others looking for a very powerful FI engine.

The other primary factor that separates the two camps IMO is that some of us still want to manually shift a 3 peddle car versus a paddle shift DCT. No question the DCT is superior in function compared to the manually shifted cars but each transmission certainly provides a totally different dynamic when it comes to all aspects of driving these great vehicles.

I would suggest that the GT500 will be an unqualified success and can't wait for it to launch this Fall but with me being an old school guy I will be very happy to stick with my present R model.

:)

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
I have an R and do not plan on trading it in for a 500. High revving NA V8’s with a stick are a dying breed. Once this car is gone there doesn’t look to be anything else out there that will be comparable besides a GT3 Touring. The 500 will have direct competition with blown V8’s from GM and Mopar.

As mentioned, 350 and 500 buyers will be different enthusiasts. Guys that can rev match and heal/toe downshift will keep their R. After a while, the DCT’s just get boring for straight up fun driving.

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Another R owner here who would not trade for a GT500.

That said, based on the '13-'14 GT500s I expected to not even WANT the new GT500. But I do. The specs and tech are impressive and it looks pretty good, if too Nissan GT-R-ish for my taste. That said, if I were to get one it would not replace the R, but be an addition (which I don't have space to store). Too bad ...

jefc73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff GTFO_0019
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Me either. Love the high revving NA sound of my R and the manual transmission.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Nope. Not trading. I'll just buy one.

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Regardless - If you think dealers are going to send Rs to auction or wholesale them And miss the opportunity to mark them up as far as possible...you haven’t been paying attention :)

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Probably more regular GT350s and Mustang GTs with power adders will go on the market rather than R models. I would think that the guys who want power adders are going to be the guys who want GT500s.

zzrat

Threads
Reaction score
Deerfield,Indiana Land of Moonshine & Critters
Vehicle(s)
GR245 Radioless
Interesting question. I'd be another old fart "R" owner that plans on keeping it around for a long time. It' s funny that the R needs to stay because we have young grandsons that are already laying claim to it! Which probably means that we will have to land another HP Mustang down the road.

Takiotoshi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350
I'll probably get a one but until the craziness dies down but I'll keep my gt350 even thought is not a R but for those who are getting a gt500 this year be prepared because the adm is going to be crazy.

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
My R stays with me. Worst case scenario, I've already thought about what I'd do if the engine starts to drink. I couldn't part with the original block to the R for just an oil consumption issue. I'd have it rebuilt by a pro. Been following the Honeybadger thread.
Sponsored