Mustang vs 2020 Supra

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
2020 Supra, the $51,000 joke. Ugly as any kid drew in the first grade, not enough power, BMW reliability? Yep, final nail in the coffin.
Sponsored

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
TLDR=It's not a Toyota so they can keep it.

I would go Mustang in this "vs".

The car looks fine and I'm sure it performs fine, but for car with the history of the Supra, I wanted to really see what TOYOTA could do.

That is my issue, it's NOT a Toyota, and it's a shame they bastardized such an iconic nameplate.

It would be like Ford unveiling the gen7 Mustang, and finding out it's a re-bodied Mercedes coupe. It would work fine, but it sort of ruins the pedigree.
Well said.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Its acceleration was in line with all the cars you mentioned (in addition the NSX, RX7, 911). I don't think I'd call it a "great car" though.

Base Supra ($33900 = $58,377)
Supra Turbo ($39,990 = $68,710)
Mustang GT ($20,390 = $35,112)
Mustang Cobra ($21,578 = $37,158)
Cobra R ($25,692 = $44,243)

A GT86 is $25K, the Supra is $50K, they should offer an M4-powered Supra in the 60-70s, that would put it back in its original category.
Never said it was great.

It WAS a cult hit though. Very loyal following. And legendary aftermarket potential.

Was a good performer from the factory. But the bulletproof engine could handle crazy amounts of boost.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
A GT86 is $25K, the Supra is $50K, they should offer an M4-powered Supra in the 60-70s, that would put it back in its original category.
Probably not a good thing. The M4 engine sounds like the dirtiest, wettest, most explosive binge beer drinking induced post Taco Bell consequences you could possibly imagine. God I fuggin' hate that motor and not just because it sounds like a Tzar Bomba fart.

Sponsored

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
Another strike against the Supra...no rear seat or even seat shaped storage area.

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
the bulletproof engine could handle crazy amounts of boost.
This.

Nobody cared about the Supra until they became cheap used cars. Modders discovered single large turbos made 700+hp on stock blocks.

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Never said it was great.

It WAS a cult hit though. Very loyal following. And legendary aftermarket potential.

Was a good performer from the factory. But the bulletproof engine could handle crazy amounts of boost.
Actually you did. It's literally the last thing you said.

Probably not a good thing. The M4 engine sounds like the dirtiest, wettest, most explosive binge beer drinking induced post Taco Bell consequences you could possibly imagine. God I fuggin' hate that motor and not just because it sounds like a Tzar Bomba fart.
Those burbles and pops are intentionally tuned that way. The Supra's BMW B58 is the next version of the N55 engine, of which the M4's S55B30T0 came from. So the Supra has essentially the next generation 'base' version of the M4's engine.

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Now, itā€™s competing with.. 4 cylinder base model Mustangs.

The new Mustang GT looks better, is quicker and faster, and costs less.

Itā€™s an easy choice.

The old Supra was a cult superstar.

the new one is a cult rite victim.

_____

That 235 hp Cobra was dang fast for its power level though. Great car.

How does 0 to 60 in 4.1 seconds compete with the EcoBoost? This car is also 300 pounds lighter than a GT. I would not buy it over a Mustang GT, but I can see the attraction of a 2 seater dedicated sports car under 50k.

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
There is definitely more performance metrics then straight line.. Right now ā€œon paperā€the new Supra looks to have close to the same competition as a pp ecoboost or V6 1LE at a ā€œproperā€ track.. I donā€™t think many buy 335hp cars to tear up the 1/4mile. As others have said, for the money there are more then a handful of cars that will run circles around this. But I am interested in the car, I really loved my 86 and 445whp in that car was a blast. Iā€™m sure the aftermarket will be great and looking forward to a properly built Supra

Sponsored

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
I don't understand all the hate this car is getting. Fairly light (3400 pounds), 2 seater GT sports car, that will be offered with a manual, and starts as it is at 50k. It's 15 grand chapter than a z4 it shares some components with. It's also a sports car built by two companies that have put out some legendary driver's cars. I think it will surprise a lot of people. I saw it at barrett and it looks good in person.

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
How does 0 to 60 in 4.1 seconds compete with the EcoBoost? This car is also 300 pounds lighter than a GT. I would not buy it over a Mustang GT, but I can see the attraction of a 2 seater dedicated sports car under 50k.
Where did you get the Supra does 0-60 in 4.1 seconds?

Twinguin

just a little Fury
Threads
Reaction score
Website
s76.photobucket.com
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Convertible
Japanese cars tend to have a much simpler option sheet than American cars, which in turn are dead simple compared to the German brands.
As a German I have to say: You are so right!!

On the topic: I have to wait and actually see the Supra irl - but cannot imagine it could replace my Tropical Fury (which actually replaced a GT86).

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Yeah, I've thought about where they might re-enter the market - the GT-R went insanely upscale, I thought maybe they might go moderately upmarket, or actually do what was knocked around for a few years, and do a Toyota Supra and a Lexus <something>, the latter being a higher performance/feature variant that could support the additional cost with the L badge.

This car - per a previous post - doesn't offer enough performance for the price, with an option away from an OTD of close to $55K. It also doesn't have the brand equity to support that market segment - I don't think the price segment demographic will all that interested in the Supra, and even as much as the car gained some iconic status in the tuner world, it's still kind of niche (for lack of better words ...)

So it's around the price of a Mustang GT, or a Camaro SS with less performance, it's a Z4 with less brand equity, it has an automatic (so far, only) tranny kind of "diluting" the small/sporty vibe, in the mid-50 MSRP you can get a base Stingray (won't even mention, the huge discounts of available) with a slick 7-speed manual, it's a small 2-seater limiting use, it's not exactly cheap.

Another strike against the Supra...no rear seat or even seat shaped storage area.
Bold = f***ing hysterical :D

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Man there is a lot of hate for the Supra on this forum. I like the new Supra, it looks good and have you seen the photo shop with the old Supra wing. It really makes the car. I think it's going to be a great performer and once tuned will give it's and others a real run for their money. In stock I think it fits between the GT and the eco, though more toward the GT end of the spectrum. I'm excited to see what this car will do going forward.
Sponsored