Mustang vs 2020 Supra

Discussion in 'Ford Mustang versus?' started by TomcatDriver, Jan 17, 2019.

1. bluebeastsrt

bluebeastsrt Oh boy

First Name:
    BigD
    Vehicle(s):
    Boosted 2015 GT Premium.
    Rating:
    100%
    3   0   0
    I dissgree with the afford it part. There is guys out there. Just like me. Who has paid off his house. Got rid of all the kids. And has lots of flexable income. Those guys just grew up loving Supras and evos. Apposed to Corvettes and mustangs. The GTR will likely be in a different income bracket to the supra.

2. Eritas

Eritas Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    Supras, RX7s, NSXs were 100k cars by today's standards. 40-70k in the 90s isn't 40-70k today. GTRs and NSXs are way more expensive than that.

3. LSchicago

LSchicago Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Lloyd
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
    Business owner
    0   0   0
    Thanks captain obvious.

4. Eritas

Eritas Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    Back at ya :fingerscrossed:

5. Zinc03svt

Zinc03svt Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 GT shadow black, 10r80, PP
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    What ever floats your boat and tickles your fancy. We all have are own perceptions (based off many variable factors) of what is fun and what is cool. Nobody in the end is right or wrong. We are all after a neuro-chemical reaction in the brain called a dopamine rush/release. Many ways to make that happen... :).

6. Subarashi

Subarashi Member

Vehicle(s):
    Honda Accord, Infiniti Q60, Subaru BRZ
    0   0   0
    I'm waiting to see how this supra does, so far I'm between a GT350 and the Supra.

I just love the Voodoo engine, but I grew up with JDMs (Skylines and Supras and FD RX7s) I am very interested to see how the B58 does in the Supra.

7. Hack

Hack Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 GT350
    0   0   0
    Are you going to wait to see if they pop in a more powerful motor and add a manual transmission option? Or just interested in some of the performance numbers?

8. Nagare

Nagare Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 Lightning Blue V6
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    I know I'm waiting to see both of those to be honest, plus for used ones to show up so I can maybe grab one in 4 or 5 years if they turn out to be reliable and tunable. Out of the budget right now for sure though.

Love the way they look (those hips!) and the engine seems to easily reach the 400 mark.

Subarashi likes this.
  9. Subarashi

Subarashi Member

Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    I doubt they'll add in a manual transmission it seems like the ZF trannys are the holy grail these days. I'm more just waiting to see the performance numbers. BMW advertises their power to the wheels, and seeing that the Supra's power is at 335 while the Z4 is at 384 HP.

I wonder how much more power can be unlocked with just a few bolt ons or just a tune alone, I saw a BMW M240 make 600whp with stock internals. ()

I'll keep an eye on it and then figure out if the extra purchase in mods is worth it to me, if not I'll be looking at a GT350 or a 2018+ GT (Also stuck between those 2)

10. Eritas

Eritas Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    No car manufacturer advertises power at the wheels.

11. Subarashi

Subarashi Member

Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
  12. DekiDoo

DekiDoo Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 GT PP1
    0   0   0
    Schooley and Eritas like this.
  13. Eritas

Eritas Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    STD reads higher than SAE. It's also common for most turbocharged cars to output more than their MFG claimed ratings on a cold day. (They will make closer to their ratings on hot days). If not, then most turbo cars would make far less than their rates power on hot days.

14. Schooley

Schooley Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 NFG Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    Preach!

15. MaskedRacerX

MaskedRacerX Driver

First Name:
    DT
    Vehicle(s):
    '16 GT Vert, GTPP, Shadow Black w/ Redline
    Rating:
    100%
    2   0   0
    I just read about the BMW S58 that's going into the 2020 X3M and X4M (and Comp variants), 3.0L inline 6, twin-turbo: 473 horsepower and 442 lb-ft torque. If you opt for the Competition version, it's 503 HP.

WITF is the Supra, the Toyota "flagship" performance car, slumming with a 335HP version of the 3.0L TT? I realize that's next gen, but it should've at least matched the Z4, if not been closer to the current M3/4 models.

16. Hack

Hack Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 GT350
    0   0   0
    I agree. I can only think it's BMW's way of trying to make the Supra less competitive. 335 HP out of a 3 liter turbocharged engine is a joke nowadays.

Yes I'm sure you can turn it up to over 400 hp with an aftermarket tune, but this engine should have made over 400 hp while retaining the factory warranty.

Mikthehun1 and Coyote Red like this.
  17. Subarashi

Subarashi Member

Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    Not really supra related but still something cool to check out, BMW's new engine S58

• 3.0 liters, but not exactly the same as the B58. The S58 has a slightly larger bore and shorter stroke (84.0/90.0) compared to the B58 (82.0/94.6). Displacement is technically down five cc, and it’s still an undersquare engine. Theoretically the new engine should have room for bigger valves, better breathing, and should be more rev-happy, but we’ll learn more in time.
    • 7,200 RPM redline, up from 7,000 on the B58.
    • Twin-turbo, as opposed to single on the B58. Confusingly, the B58 is a twin-scroll turbo, with two separate sets of exhaust runners independently running into one turbocharger. BMW calls this “TwinPower Turbo.” The S58 also splits the exhaust, but half the cylinders run into one single-scroll turbo and the other half into another. BMW also calls this, and I cannot stress how dumb this is, “TwinPower Turbo.”
    • Compression ratio down to 9.3:1 versus the B58’s 11:1. This sounds bad to people obsessed with naturally-aspirated engines, but makes sense to those familiar with running boost.
    • 473 HP and 442 lb-ft of torque in base trim.
    • 503 HP in Competition trim, also with 442 lb-ft of torque.

https://jalopnik.com/bmws-new-500-hp-s58-inline-six-should-be-very-interesti-1832589427

Hack likes this.
  18. Hack

Hack Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 GT350
    0   0   0
    That's the engine that should be in the Supra. Even detuned by 50-75 HP. Put that and a manual transmission in the car and I would want one.

Subarashi likes this.
  19. 9secondko

9secondko Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2003 cobra
    0   0   0
    OK numbers.

But for an FI engine it’s not that impressive.

Interesting way to handle the twin scroll though. I kind of like their thinking there.

I still think Toyota should have developed the Supra engine though. Even if it were only for that car. It’s a halo car for them.

I love me some German engineering, but they seem designed to strategically require more than their share of Autohaus visits...

20. Subarashi

Subarashi Member

Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    I couldn't agree more.

This is Toyota's legendary car and they let some outsider basically do it for them.

If Ford released a new Ford GT and had Nissan make the V6 engine for them......

I honestly wanted Toyota's engineering behind this Supra, not only will I be very confident that it will be reliable, it also be Toyota's engineering and mindset. We've seen in the past that they're capable of making with the 2JZ and their Lexus RCF/LC500 V8 that they're capable of making great engines.

Sure it makes sense from a business point of view to let BMW do it and it keeps the spirit of the Supra:

3.0L
    Inline 6
    Turbo
    2 Door
    RWD

And this is just talking strictly engines, the interior also looks like it's pretty much a BMW, why couldn't it be Lexus?
    I just honestly wanted to see what Toyota could have done/would have done if it was their pride and their work on the line here.