Mustang vs 2020 Supra

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Found a new pic of the 2020 Supra...
51126508_2219961254721856_1196964860924002304_n.jpg
Geez I didn't think a car could be made uglier than the Corvette in the movie Corvette Summer. Looks like there is always someone achieving the impossible. WOW!
Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Can't we all just agree? At least it's not another Prius.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I like the new Supra. Like a lot of other sports cars. Just not enough to consider buying it! It’ll probably have a lot of tuneability. Just like the current crop of bimmers. It’ll probably be to small for anyone over 5’5 to fit in. And it’ll probably be expensive. For what you get. But I like it.

Sponsored

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
Can't wait to see one in the twisty's, Took a Nissan 370Z, in a 55 pull earlier in the week, bring it on.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Actually you did. It's literally the last thing you said.
In your ridiculous hunger to retort regardless of the matter at hand, you didn’t even read what I wrote.

When I said “great car,” I was talking about the 93 Cobra. NOT THE SUPRA. There is literally generous spacing and even a freaking LINE (in addition to the SUBJECT stated very clearly in normal English sentence structure) to divide that sentence from the previous comments.

And the Cobra for its tens of thousands less was competing with the high end sports cars of its day. It really was a great car.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I like the new Supra. Like a lot of other sports cars. Just not enough to consider buying it! It’ll probably have a lot of tuneability. Just like the current crop of bimmers. It’ll probably be to small for anyone over 5’5 to fit in. And it’ll probably be expensive. For what you get. But I like it.
I think a lot of Toyota people and some BMW people will buy one. Hopefully they will sell enough to keep producing them and add power + a manual transmission some day.

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
In your ridiculous hunger to retort regardless of the matter at hand, you didn’t even read what I wrote.

When I said “great car,” I was talking about the 93 Cobra. NOT THE SUPRA. There is literally generous spacing and even a freaking LINE (in addition to the SUBJECT stated very clearly in normal English sentence structure) to divide that sentence from the previous comments.

And the Cobra for its tens of thousands less was competing with the high end sports cars of its day. It really was a great car.
Actually I did, but you need to simmer down and re-read what I wrote. I know you were talking about the 93 Cobra, and it's acceleration is on par with all those cars you mentioned and I added more to your list, and I said I wouldn't call it a "great" car. By comparison, I'd probably call the 93 Supra a "great" car. It was in a different league from the Cobra and destroyed it in every metric. Sure the Cobra was in the ballpark 0-60, but it was way slower than the Supra (and even a 93 Z28 -which is a terrible car) in the 1/4 mile, and couldn't touch a Supra around a racetrack, handling, braking, power potential, etc...

So to clarify, no the Cobra was NOT a "great car". Japan dominated the 90s. Now the US embarasses Japanese cars and the modern Cobra competes with a Corvette -something the original Cobra was far from being a able to do, and the modern Supra and 370Z fill in the lower tier category of sports cars. It's interesting how US and Japanese cars swapped like this (except the NSX, which is still in the same category).

Last edited:

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
This is to the JDM crowd. what the GT500 or Mid engine corvette is to us. It'll sell. At least for a year or two. Two seat sports cars are a tough sell.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
This is to the JDM crowd. what the GT500 or Mid engine corvette is to us. It'll sell. At least for a year or two. Two seat sports cars are a tough sell.
Much of that crowd can't afford a $50K car, most of those who can would buy a GTR (even if used) instead.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Much of that crowd can't afford a $50K car, most of those who can would buy a GTR (even if used) instead.

Yeah, that's my contention just from a sales and marketing perspective: it's pricey for the JDM crowd, it doesn't have the brand equity for the Fancy Lads, like @bluebeastsrt mentioned, it's only a 2-seater, reducing usability.

Like I said, it is more-or-less the hardtop Z4, so if you want that platform in a coupe, that's the choice - I suppose it might be a cheaper alternative to a Cayman ( though without PDK or a traditional manual, I think the driver experience those types of buyers are seeking will be diluted ...).

$40K as is, I think they would've sold the heck of them, $65K with more of the original FT-1 design, the M flavor I6TT, @ 440HP, DCT, I don't think they would've sold too many less than the actual offering, but they would way more of a halo car to take the Supra name again ...

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
I dissgree with the afford it part. There is guys out there. Just like me. Who has paid off his house. Got rid of all the kids. And has lots of flexable income. Those guys just grew up loving Supras and evos. Apposed to Corvettes and mustangs. The GTR will likely be in a different income bracket to the supra.
Sponsored