Sponsored

Mustang vs 2020 Supra

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Those burbles and pops are intentionally tuned that way. The Supra's BMW B58 is the next version of the N55 engine, of which the M4's S55B30T0 came from. So the Supra has essentially the next generation 'base' version of the M4's engine.
The burbles and pops are fine. What ISN'T fine is the incredibly annoying racket that comes out of the ass end of that thing. It's a very nice car too but my god what a nuisance. I like the M2 more anyway though.
Sponsored

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
It's likely a very nice car but the shape doesn't talk to me
IMG_0863.JPG
IMG_0864.JPG
IMG_0865.JPG

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
So being that it is more BMW than Toyota, who would actually service this?

I doubt it will have the normal Toyota reliability.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Man there is a lot of hate for the Supra on this forum. I like the new Supra, it looks good and have you seen the photo shop with the old Supra wing. It really makes the car. I think it's going to be a great performer and once tuned will give it's and others a real run for their money. In stock I think it fits between the GT and the eco, though more toward the GT end of the spectrum. I'm excited to see what this car will do going forward.
I don't think for the most part it's hate, it's certainly not on my part - it's more disappointment.

The Supra comes back after ~22 years, and it's barely a power bump (I realize the engine is significantly more sophisticated), not a ton of weight loss (mostly at the expense of size and a 2+2 config), no 6-speed manual, only an 8-speed auto (not a 10-speed, not a DCT), and not even a unique to Toyota design, it's basically the hardtop Z4.

I say this as the former owner of a MKIV, I'm definitely not brand biased either.

Sponsored

15GTBEN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SRT Hellcat A8, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
I don't think for the most part it's hate, it's certainly not on my part - it's more disappointment.

The Supra comes back after ~22 years, and it's barely a power bump (I realize the engine is significantly more sophisticated), not a ton of weight loss (mostly at the expense of size and a 2+2 config), no 6-speed manual, only an 8-speed auto (not a 10-speed, not a DCT), and not even a unique to Toyota design, it's basically the hardtop Z4.

I agree!!

Looks aside, I'd suspect the Supra will be the more fun car to drive compared to the standard stang gt to the enthusiast(which is of course subjective, as is looks). I also agree it needs more power to compete in today's market.

So far it seems like a glorified BRZ/FRS with BMW underpinnings. Looks aren't bad from some angles, something not right about the rear, imo.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TomcatDriver

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
I will admit the design is a bit moronic on the front. But I actually like the booty.
I feel the opposite, the front is OK, but the rear is a little over the top. I am a big hater of fake vents/scoops, and it looks like it has them on both ends. That being said, I'm betting in real life it looks pretty good. I have to assume that Toyota dealers are going to service/repair even though it's pretty much BMW below the badges. Yes, I suspect it will have BMW reliability, which isn't necessarily bad but my experience is they do great during typical warranty period +, but start kind of falling apart at 100K.

So, is it a BMW? Yea, pretty much. Is it cheaper than a Z4? Yea, quite a bit. Is it cheaper than a Cayman? Yep. So back to the vs Mustang - it's down on power, lighter, probably handles at least as well, a little more expensive, 2 seats. As a weekend car for tooling around with the wife, or a sporty commuter I can see it as a reasonable competitor.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The back looks like a sad cat. Credit to MCM for the thought, but I completely agree.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I feel the opposite, the front is OK, but the rear is a little over the top. I am a big hater of fake vents/scoops, and it looks like it has them on both ends. That being said, I'm betting in real life it looks pretty good. I have to assume that Toyota dealers are going to service/repair even though it's pretty much BMW below the badges. Yes, I suspect it will have BMW reliability, which isn't necessarily bad but my experience is they do great during typical warranty period +, but start kind of falling apart at 100K.

So, is it a BMW? Yea, pretty much. Is it cheaper than a Z4? Yea, quite a bit. Is it cheaper than a Cayman? Yep. So back to the vs Mustang - it's down on power, lighter, probably handles at least as well, a little more expensive, 2 seats. As a weekend car for tooling around with the wife, or a sporty commuter I can see it as a reasonable competitor.
There's 10 fake vents on this car. Basically, all the vents you see (rear end, door, front fenders, etc.) are blocked off and fake. Toyota says they can be made to be real vents, but, as it comes from the factory, they are fake. I think it's silly and gimmicky.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I don't understand all the hate this car is getting. Fairly light (3400 pounds), 2 seater GT sports car, that will be offered with a manual, and starts as it is at 50k. It's 15 grand chapter than a z4 it shares some components with. It's also a sports car built by two companies that have put out some legendary driver's cars. I think it will surprise a lot of people. I saw it at barrett and it looks good in person.
I can explain some reasoning behind some of this. #1 - it's ugly and filled with 10 fake vents, basically, every vent you see is a fake. #2 - it's mostly BMW, and people expected a Toyota, so it doesn't have the same vibe as if it was a wholly developed by Toyota car. #3 - It barely has more power than the 22 year old turbo Supra. GT has more than doubled in power since then. #4 - the proportions are way off. It's too much like a Scion FRS that was never actually a good looking car.

Overall, I think most people think it is underwhelming compared to what it should have been.

Sponsored

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I don't understand all the hate this car is getting. Fairly light (3400 pounds), 2 seater GT sports car, that will be offered with a manual, and starts as it is at 50k. It's 15 grand chapter than a z4 it shares some components with. It's also a sports car built by two companies that have put out some legendary driver's cars. I think it will surprise a lot of people. I saw it at barrett and it looks good in person.
PPFFFFFFTTTTTTT...........You're right. 50K is chicken feed. What was I thinking? I used to find that much wadded up in my front right jeans pocket the morning after a bar crawl before I quit drinking. I think I'll put my order in for two of them. One for my right foot and the other for my left foot. (SACRASM BIG TIME)

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Found a new pic of the 2020 Supra...
51126508_2219961254721856_1196964860924002304_n.jpg

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
PPFFFFFFTTTTTTT...........You're right. 50K is chicken feed. What was I thinking? I used to find that much wadded up in my front right jeans pocket the morning after a bar crawl before I quit drinking. I think I'll put my order in for two of them. One for my right foot and the other for my left foot. (SACRASM BIG TIME)
Lol while 50k is not cheap, for a 2 seater sports car that was developed against a new Cayman, it may be worth it. Not that I would buy it, but I'm glad the option is out there.
Sponsored