Sponsored

2016 Mustang GT Ticking issue

ProfessorKel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Mustang GT - California Special
I traded in my previous car for a Shadow Black, 2016 Mustang GT California Special -- growing up in the 90s, an all black FoxBody 5.0 was my dream, and to see a blacked out California Special (I live in Cali) was an omen. Long story short, I eventually purchased the car last August with 28K miles. I invested so much time into upgrades for the 5 months I've owned it: Rims, Brakes, Internal and external LED lights, WeatherTech Mats, Cervini Ram Air Hood, Exhaust system, Oil Separators, Midpipes, Headers, Ford Performance Power Pack 2, etc.

I was living the dream. Then I get my first oil change last weekend and the dreaded TICK arrived. Its bittersweet seeing all of this info on these forums and on youtube, since I am not alone on this. I just brought the vehicle to Ford, they kept it overnight and now I am waiting for the call back to get some news. Thank you all for sharing your experiences, I will share this forum with the dealership to see if it helps. I wish you all the best in your tick remedies, beautiful car but what a bummer!
Sponsored

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
I traded in my previous car for a Shadow Black, 2016 Mustang GT California Special -- growing up in the 90s, an all black FoxBody 5.0 was my dream, and to see a blacked out California Special (I live in Cali) was an omen. Long story short, I eventually purchased the car last August with 28K miles. I invested so much time into upgrades for the 5 months I've owned it: Rims, Brakes, Internal and external LED lights, WeatherTech Mats, Cervini Ram Air Hood, Exhaust system, Oil Separators, Midpipes, Headers, Ford Performance Power Pack 2, etc.

I was living the dream. Then I get my first oil change last weekend and the dreaded TICK arrived. Its bittersweet seeing all of this info on these forums and on youtube, since I am not alone on this. I just brought the vehicle to Ford, they kept it overnight and now I am waiting for the call back to get some news. Thank you all for sharing your experiences, I will share this forum with the dealership to see if it helps. I wish you all the best in your tick remedies, beautiful car but what a bummer!
How did you make the headers work with the PP2 kit? Did you have it tuned yourself? Or does it not really matter.

ProfessorKel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How did you make the headers work with the PP2 kit? Did you have it tuned yourself? Or does it not really matter.
I'm a newbie to all this, so forgive my ignorance. According to American Muscle and LMR, it did not need to be re-tuned (note: They're shorties since LT headers aren't CARB compliant).

Just stuck with the ProCal tune that came with the Power Pack.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
I'm a newbie to all this, so forgive my ignorance. According to American Muscle and LMR, it did not need to be re-tuned (note: They're shorties since LT headers aren't CARB compliant).

Just stuck with the ProCal tune that came with the Power Pack.
Well hell I didn't know of any headers being carb compliant here. Does those shorties allow you to retain the stock catalytic converters? I would have put some on years ago If I knew it would pass smog.

ProfessorKel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

ProfessorKel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Quick Update: After installing chassis ears, Ford's noise diagnoses led them to a spot-hole on the top of the flange of my right exhaust manifold (headers?), causing an exhaust leak. They think this is the reason for the tick. The part is under warranty, so my mechanic will re-weld it Monday, then I am to bring it back to Ford after repair to re-assess.

Anyone else experience a similar diagnosis?

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
^^^Even if you do have a small exhaust leak, I fail to see how changing the oil would suddenly make it more noticeable. Unless of course, the tick you have is not the random typewriter tick.

Thus, for those us with the typewriter tick, I don't understand how adding Ceratec to an existing oil interval would suddenly make the noise from a leak go away.

ProfessorKel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My sentiments exactly. Perhaps I do have a leak, in which I will get it welded shut tomorrow, but I'm positive the tick (exactly the same noise posted in the videos in this forum) will remain. This is becoming a headache.

mustang charlie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang Gt 6spd convertable preimium , 1996 S10 , 2001 S10 , 2018 Honda civic touring
^^^Even if you do have a small exhaust leak, I fail to see how changing the oil would suddenly make it more noticeable. Unless of course, the tick you have is not the random typewriter tick.

Thus, for those us with the typewriter tick, I don't understand how adding Ceratec to an existing oil interval would suddenly make the noise from a leak go away.
Hi , its because Fords poor quality control ,there putting in the wrong size pistons there 0.005 smaller , and there bores are sprayed with plasma witch is also out of round, they should of went with steel inserts , here why , clip .

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Hi , its because Fords poor quality control ,there putting in the wrong size pistons there 0.005 smaller , and there bores are sprayed with plasma witch is also out of round, they should of went with steel inserts , here why , clip .
I'm talking about an exhaust leak. How is it going to suddenly start ticking if you have an exhaust leak and you changed the oil?

Sponsored

Mustang666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Styxx
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 5.0 L
Unfortunately more waiting as the dealer has not found the problem yet. They isolated the sound to be the loudest at the driver side cylinder head on the exhaust manifold stud. They then removed the valve cover on the driver side and inspected the cam, phaser, roller rockers and valve springs. All of it looked normal. They want to remove the front cover of the motor next and get access to removing the cam then possibly the cylinder head to inspect the valves. They mentioned hotline could intervene and when I asked what they might do he said the could potentially ask the dealer to send them the entire engine for inspection although the service manager does not think that will happen.

EDIT: The service manager has given the opinion that the noise is coming from the hydraulic lash adjusters, but we will not know without further teardown. Front cover is scheduled to be removed by end of tomorrow.
Hi kenard sorry to hear of your problem I noticed the post is from 2018 interested to know what you have done since regarding the Mustang,thanks

Catbus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium

Try Liqui-moly cera tec. Been working for my car for the last 20k miles

Catbus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Hi Catbus how did it turn out with the dealers?
I didn't pursue too hard with them after they said the noise was "normal".

If you are referring to using the luiqi moli product they never noticed or said anything. I put it in myself after the oil changes and will continue to do so.

Mustang666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Styxx
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 5.0 L
I didn't pursue too hard with them after they said the noise was "normal".

If you are referring to using the luiqi moli product they never noticed or said anything. I put it in myself after the oil changes and will continue to do so.
Thanks for replying - have you still got the car?
Sponsored