Sponsored

If you're a manual lover, would you buy 2020 with no manual?

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
DCT? 10 speed auto? I realize everyone can make their own decision but to me if you want to go that route you might as well hire a chauffeur.
I hired Ramsbottom a few weeks ago in anticipation:)
Sponsored

15wile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
Auto is faster. I'd buy it... if I had the money.

I knew when I bought this '15, it would probably be the last manual I ever owned. The performance advantage of auto is enough that it's harder for me to justify manuals anymore.

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
I will buy one either way.

Sponsored

Sid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350, '68 Firebird, '17 Raptor, '18 Macan GTS
No sale here. We have a Macan GTS with a PDK transmission which is one of the greatest automatic-manual transmissions out there but, I rarely put it in Manual mode. It's not tactile or engaging enough and dare I say ... a little boring.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
No sale here. We have a Macan GTS with a PDK transmission which is one of the greatest automatic-manual transmissions out there but, I rarely put it in Manual mode. It's not tactile or engaging enough and dare I say ... a little boring.
I mean it's a crossover...

Blackbeauty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
I'd rather have a manual ecoboost than an automatic GT500 if those are the two options given to me.

Sid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350, '68 Firebird, '17 Raptor, '18 Macan GTS
I mean it's a crossover...
Yes, it is. It’s a really amazing handling car though. I’m nearly certain I could hustle around the track right on the heels of my previous GT500 with little effort. I’m talking about the feel of the transmission only. PDK is the same transmission they put in the 911. I can’t get into it in the 911 either. Even though it’s a faster car and easier to drive fast with PDK. If it had some kind of mechanical click or felt like you were pulling a trigger or something more engaging than pushing a soft button I’d like it better. You can do things with a clutch pedal that you just can’t do with a paddle shift. If your not the kind of driver who really wants that kind of control or a pirate with a peg leg maybe ... the auto probably preferable...

Sponsored

speedrx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
I have had a manual GT500 for years, I am ready to try one with an auto, faster shifts and better in traffic in my opinion. Auto's are the future, you can hardly find a manual car anymore (of course electric cars are probably the future also but I am not ready for one of those). It will be interesting to see exactly what trans is offered.

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 4x4 Lariat 3.5 Ecoboost

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
It’s very hard, that’s why most that have manuals don’t drag race!!
I sort of wonder which is cause and which is effect here . . . do most of those who have MT cars not drag race because they have a MT or do they have the MT because drag racing is of less interest to them?

700+, rwd cars in manual are tons of fun but extracting the performance out of them is much more difficult. In this case I’d be very happy if it’s a DCT, it’d probably be the best option to be fast on track and strip. And I personally think a good auto with good paddles can be tons of fun, not too mention on track it’s way easier to focus on the driving and being fast.
Bet if you're coming from driving MT cars near-exclusively, a +/- gate for the shifter would feel more natural. There wouldn't be any tendency to tap a shift lever twice like can happen with paddles, either.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I believe that will more be a function of traction controls, dampers/springs, gearing, weight distribution, tire compound, etc. The DCT should shine once the car is rolling, allowing rpm to stay in the optimum range with little to no dip between shifts. A pricey experiment that Ford believes to be worthwhile - according to all the buzz, anyway.
Agreed . . . which sounds more like road course than dragstrip.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I think for track days an automatic trans would yield quicker lap times and thus make track days more rewarding.
Not really, once you realize that less of the credit belongs with you.

There would be no missed shifts and you could drive deeper into the corners and brake later and be on the gas sooner out of the corner.
If you miss a shift, you put it behind you and stop worrying much about that lap's time. I'm not at all sure that you could drive deeper or brake any later, given that AT shifting tends to either lag a bit with OE tuning or be harsh when measures to reduce lag are taken.

Norm
Sponsored