Ford Racing ProCal Tune

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 EcoBoost performance package coupe
I understand that, been driving and tuning Mustangs since 2006 (and trying to explain to people the "Ford voided my warranty" issue as well and that Ford warranties the car that Ford built and once you tune it then it is no longer the car that Ford built - and why I had to pay to replace an engine with only 12,000 miles on it after the turbo and a bad tune blew up my 2013).

My questions is specifically about the Ford Performance tune and if it replaces the remaining 100,000 mile warranty on the certified pre-owned cars like it does a new car for the 3/6 warranty. The CPO power train warranty is extended and is separate from the 3/36 on a new car.
Sponsored

lawrencecar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost PP
I understand that, been driving and tuning Mustangs since 2006 (and trying to explain to people the "Ford voided my warranty" issue as well and that Ford warranties the car that Ford built and once you tune it then it is no longer the car that Ford built - and why I had to pay to replace an engine with only 12,000 miles on it after the turbo and a bad tune blew up my 2013).

My questions is specifically about the Ford Performance tune and if it replaces the remaining 100,000 mile warranty on the certified pre-owned cars like it does a new car for the 3/6 warranty. The CPO power train warranty is extended and is separate from the 3/36 on a new car.
FP replaces only the remaining 3/36 where as if an engine issue arise they would cover it. After 3/36 the tune is not "warrantied" by FP. Any issues there after would be at fords calls (assuming they prove it) if tune related whether be the 5/60 power train or 100k extended if they would cover or not.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Any word on a Ford tune for the 18+

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
When I concidered this FP tune I contacted 3 dealers. One dealer said emphatically that if I purchase everything from them and they install I have nothing to worry about with my CPO warranty if a rod blows out. Another dealer answered in an email stating the same. So at least had it in writing. The one dealer did say if somthing blows then it's up to ford to determine. I didn't go with any since it would run close to 900 installed and I'm ok with how it runs with pedalmax in sport mode for now See if you can get a dealer to confirm for you

RichBrew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue EBPP
Vehicle Showcase
Any word on a Ford tune for the 18+
I called FP about a month ago (or probably longer). They told me that the tune was finished and ready, and that they had submitted it to California for CARB certification. They said that based on past experience CARB can take anywhere from 2 to 6 months or longer. I was told it had been a while since it was submitted, so they expected it back soon. They suggested that I check the page for updates, that they would put up a big banner when its released, and that I was welcome to call back for updates once a month or so. I might give that a try tomorrow afternoon.

Sponsored

RichBrew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue EBPP
Vehicle Showcase
I called FP about a month ago (or probably longer). They told me that the tune was finished and ready, and that they had submitted it to California for CARB certification. They said that based on past experience CARB can take anywhere from 2 to 6 months or longer. I was told it had been a while since it was submitted, so they expected it back soon. They suggested that I check the page for updates, that they would put up a big banner when its released, and that I was welcome to call back for updates once a month or so. I might give that a try tomorrow afternoon.
Called again Thursday afternoon. No change in status. They said they’re still waiting on CARB emissions testing.

justme97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 LB Ecoboost 6mt pony pack vert, 06 EB Explorer
Ford Performance replaces any remainder of the 3/36 warranty that is left on the car as it relates to the engine. After that it is treated like any other tune. If Ford determined the tune caused an issue it may not be warrantied.
Anyone ever try to have a non-ford extended warranty handle a engine claim after tuning? I got my extended warranty to 100k miles through my credit union because I figure there may be more flexibility than through ford...was way cheaper too.

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
Usually aftermarket is worse, canceled mine after I read small print. Any modification voided complete warranty.

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
I had also wondered about the aftermarket warranty just for a tuned car. The question is, how would the warranty company find out it was tuned other then having Ford run a scan.

Sponsored

justme97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 LB Ecoboost 6mt pony pack vert, 06 EB Explorer
My 75k/84 month aftermarket warranty (member's choice) says they won't cover breakdowns caused by or involving aftermarket parts unless were performed by and meet the specs of the manufacturer. My interpretation is that a ford performance part approved for my model/year and installed by a ford dealer would comply with with that provision.
Unfortunately they also say the warranty is secondary to the manufacturer warranty and that if the manufacturer warranty is declared void that they won't start covering until the end of what would have been the manufacturer warranty.
So possible there would be a gap in coverage for fp tune between the 36k fp warranty and the 60k factory warranty.
I figure $850 wasn't a bad price for extra options though.

Last edited:

mustang_puppy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Juan
Vehicle(s)
2015 black Ecoboost fastback
I downloaded the ProCal v3.8 Sunday night and had the tune and intake installed on my Ecoboost Monday. CEL was on as I got down the street from the dealer lot but the car was running fine. Checked for a loose hose as has happened to others and the one connected to the inlet tube near the turbo was off. Reconnected it, CEL is still on. Is this something that has to be cleared via a code reader? Anyway, took it for a little spin last night and it seems all good. Someone was following a bit close so I downshifted into 5th and floored it. Hit about 97 before I thought I should slow down a bit. When I got home I hooked up my laptop to the car and verified the PCM had been updated, so as far as I know I have the latest versions.

lawrencecar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost PP
never happened to me,, i would read the code or go back to the dealer..

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
You can read and clear codes with the ProCal software.