What's everyone driving this winter?

mrgem

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G E
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost Convertible, 1966 GT fastback
Living at 8200 feet and 9 miles up a winding and often-icy canyon road, I gotta have 4wd or AWD on everything I use as as a daily driver. Every snow storm, I see several vehicles slide off the road.

I have a 2014 F-150 4x4, that gets the job done (with 4 Nokian Rotiiva A/Ts). But just in case I have to drive the Mustang, my 2017 convertible convertible has 4 Vitour Ice Line studless winter tires on it and a couple of sandbags in the trunk. I've not driven it in heavy snow, but on a recent trip to Santa Fe and back, we ran into snow showers around the CO state line. Conditions were slushy and there was no drama.Not bad for a RWD car.

When I was a kid, 4wd was for farm implements. In the winter, our 55 Ford wagon had snow tires on the rear axle and sandbags in the back. I have no idea how we managed to get around in snow and ice -- but we did. And so did everyone else.
Sponsored

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I've never had an issue with RWD and good winter tires. My snow sled for years was an E34 5-series touring (wagon) with Nokian Hakkapelitta tires. That thing had a 52% rear weight bias and a big motor/ manual trans swap. It was absolutely unstoppable as long as the snow wasn't much over the front bumper lip in depth.

FWD cars do fine in snow too, given proper tires, but RWD dynamics are more predictable and fun. I like being able to turn my cars with throttle or steering wheel.

I've pulled SUVs out of snowbanks with an '87 535is on Michelin Alpins. 4WD/AWD is nice, but the tires matter a lot more IME. That said, the absolute best snow machine I've owned was an X5 on dedicated winter tires. Gripped so well it was boring.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
AEV suspension too?? That’s a nice lookin jeep.

And I’m sure you’ve seen the video circulating about that pickup ...11/28/18!
Yup, mostly all AEV.

Funny story. Was flying out to to the SEMA show a few years ago and somebody had left some entrepreneur magazine in the seatback. Inside it was an article on a guy named Dave Harriton. I had never heard of him before.
http://archive.umt.edu/montanan/f13/Its a Jeep thing.php

I was going to attend the show due to Mustang related activities but had just ordered my Jeep and was going to look at some aftermarket Jeep stuff while there. The article above impressed me quite a bit. Anyway, on the last day I attended the show I made my way up to the second floor of one of the buildings where there was quite a bit of 4x4 stuff. I saw an AEV banner and headed over to take a look at what they had. I stood staring at one of the vehicles that had just about everything they offered. I couldn't get over how well integrated everything was. Better than factory. From nowhere I hear a voice behind me say "can I help you?" I turned around and it was Dave Harriton himself. We had a lengthy conversation ranging from the article, how he works with Jeep to make it happen, manufacturing on a number of fronts, suspension design, etc. Really great guy to talk to and about as down to earth as they come. He handed me a fresh catalog that was hot off the press and I knew immediately the path I was going to take. I ordered everything once home and was really impressed with the quality while doing the install.

If I get the pickup I'll probably tap AEV again.

Alej

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alejandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2017 PP+PP2
I’ll drive for a second winter straight my ’17 GT.
In Montréal, where days of over 15cm snow falls and -25C are not a surprise.
Car is drifty but controllable, brings me to Snowboarding/skiing mountains alive and well without issues.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
Yup, mostly all AEV.

Funny story. Was flying out to to the SEMA show a few years ago and somebody had left some entrepreneur magazine in the seatback. Inside it was an article on a guy named Dave Harriton. I had never heard of him before.
http://archive.umt.edu/montanan/f13/Its a Jeep thing.php

I was going to attend the show due to Mustang related activities but had just ordered my Jeep and was going to look at some aftermarket Jeep stuff while there. The article above impressed me quite a bit. Anyway, on the last day I attended the show I made my way up to the second floor of one of the buildings where there was quite a bit of 4x4 stuff. I saw an AEV banner and headed over to take a look at what they had. I stood staring at one of the vehicles that had just about everything they offered. I couldn't get over how well integrated everything was. Better than factory. From nowhere I hear a voice behind me say "can I help you?" I turned around and it was Dave Harriton himself. We had a lengthy conversation ranging from the article, how he works with Jeep to make it happen, manufacturing on a number of fronts, suspension design, etc. Really great guy to talk to and about as down to earth as they come. He handed me a fresh catalog that was hot off the press and I knew immediately the path I was going to take. I ordered everything once home and was really impressed with the quality while doing the install.

If I get the pickup I'll probably tap AEV again.
After those events unfolding in the order they did, I’d have had my mind made up too lol. It was meant to be.

The cleanliness and class of their stuff looks second to none.

Sponsored

fastergt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP, 2022 Ranger Lariat Tremor
Dodge Grand Caravan.

Oil change in the GT350 done last week. Washed and lightly waxed yesterday. Just waiting for all the nooks and crannies to dry before placing the cover on and hooking up the charger. The next 5 months are going to suck.
Mine done 2 weeks ago same game plan. Driving a 2018 Colorado ZR2. I see it as the best of both worlds, GT350 in the summer, ZR2 in the winter, fun driving all year around.

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
Yup, all I need is a truck for hauling & winter travels. Little snow on the coastal bend of Texas.

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
I have a 17 f350 super duty and ford focus for daily activities. I'll only bring the R out for nice, clean weather but will def drive it some.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Had the Blue Oval brothers together the other day. Bought the van to replace my F150 for winter/hauling duties.
20181121_075546.jpg

Stunt1o1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Nissan Altima - daily
I’ll be driving my 2018 Dodge Durango or my 2015 Nissan Altima 3.5sl with heated steering wheel and seats. And I’m still going to drive my GT350 as long as the roads are clean

Sponsored

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
This is my winter beater :)

DSC_0442s.jpg

Demon Coyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm driving a 2018 Civic Si. Mustang is stored for the winter and we just got 5-8" of snow since we got hit with a small blizzard last night lol.
Sponsored