2019 GT500 Mustang New Spy Video, Pics, Info

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Without knowing all of the details in terms of exactly what you are looking for in the GT500 I would suggest that you will be most pleasantly surprised when the car is launched.

I get the feeling that you are gearing more to a most capable track car whereas myself being up in age and having tracked vehicles since the early 80's I would be more centered around a combination of street and track.

In any case I will not be purchasing one of these great cars but if I was interested here is a list of important aspects (in no particular order) of the car that would be key to me and suggest that you could easily add to my list.

Power to weight ratio
Transmission choices if any
Wheel and tire size front and rear
Drive shaft - Steel, aluminum or CF (1 or 2 piece)
Wheel compound
Tire compound
Brake size front and rear
Four seat car or rear seat delete (I am bullish on 2 seat Mustangs of any year)
Final drive ratio
Steering ratio
Adjustable suspension
Performance upgrade options
Color and stripe options
Price

Outstanding that you have an agreement in place for an MSRP deal and for the first allocation for your dealership.:like:

If there is a GT500R model available during the initial launch I would encourage you to take a serious look at that model versus a base GT500 as I expect a significant difference in track performance if that is your ultimate goal?

As mentioned I personally am very bullish on 2 seat Mustangs and was very fortunate to purchase one of the very last 920A Base cars that was built this last April and it will be transported from my buddies garage to me within the next few weeks and can't wait to get her home.

I wish you good luck and hope that the upcoming GT500/GT500R meets all that you are looking for!

:)
DSCF2399.JPG
DSCF2392.JPG

Harry,

I totally get it. I'm thinking of not selling either R and getting the 500 on top of that. From what I have been told, the 500 will be what I want... but it will never be a GT350R.

Nobody has any absolute certainty that they can share about the 500, but I have been told something that I believe. I will pass judgement when ford makes the details official.

In the mean time, I wouldn't worry about these so called insiders or experts. Some of what has been leaked has not panned out but some has. The photos we have seen correspond to the leaked photos as seen at the dealer reveal. I would suggest not getting into it with these folks because when the car is officially revealed, it will be a surprise despite what people think they know.

I just wonder what will happen to a lot of these "insiders" when the car is finally revealed. I suspect the majority of them will not be (or have ever seriously considered) being a GT500 owner.
Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Harry,

I totally get it. I'm thinking of not selling either R and getting the 500 on top of that. From what I have been told, the 500 will be what I want... but it will never be a GT350R.

Nobody has any absolute certainty that they can share about the 500, but I have been told something that I believe. I will pass judgement when ford makes the details official.

In the mean time, I wouldn't worry about these so called insiders or experts. Some of what has been leaked has not panned out but some has. The photos we have seen correspond to the leaked photos as seen at the dealer reveal. I would suggest not getting into it with these folks because when the car is officially revealed, it will be a surprise despite what people think they know.

I just wonder what will happen to a lot of these "insiders" when the car is finally revealed. I suspect the majority of them will not be (or have ever seriously considered) being a GT500 owner.
Tom, if you can swing keeping both of your R models along with getting a new GT500 that is about as good as it gets in my books! Because I am retiring in a few months I have let go many of my cars but certainly will be keeping an R model and probably the 2015 GT350 as well and can't wait to get them together since they both have the same color combination.

You and I both know that the FPC engine has a very limited production run and suggest that this next Spring may be the last time that we see a FPC engine assembled and installed in a Mustang and really have to applaud Ford for going out on a limb in order to produce one of the coolest if not the coolest mass produced engine that any Pony Car has ever been blessed with. Certainly not something that we would ever see the GM or Mopar camp doing.

I could be wrong but I believe that the 5.2 liter engine in our GT350/R's is the largest mass produced FPC engine ever developed and installed in a regular production vehicle.

When we look back many years from now I am certain that we will appreciate much more what Ford has done with respect many aspects of the GT350/R's and most importantly the development of the FPC engine along with other cool features such as CF wheels, spoilers, rear seat and resonator delete, etc.

In the mean time I will eagerly await the launch of the GT500 and suggest that the next few months is going to be very exciting for you and many others looking to purchase the fastest production Mustang ever built.

:sunglasses:

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Is that a '65 in the background?
Actually a mostly all original '67 L79 with side exhaust and ~50,000 miles.

Dan has owned that car for many years and a very cool car to drive and I really enjoy the sound of the side exhaust with the high revving small block.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The point is not simply that a more hardcore car is a better car. You are missing the context. Again, Ford will either offer a one car compromise or they will offer two - a "mundane" version and a far more track oriented car. GM chose to do the latter and I laud them for the effort. That said, in terms of pure track performance, the ZL1-1LE is quite a bit more serious than Ford's effort and the hardware speaks for itself. Your comments that the GT350 is "amazing" and that "most other people agree" ignore the actual content and instead are focused on emotion. I'm pointing out what is beneath the superficial, and it is glitter-free.

Sales numbers are interesting to study and talk about. I'm not equating either in terms of the volumes that are moved by their respective manufacturer but rather am simply recognizing who is serving up the more serious track ready ride. I don't know how else to lay this out for you but Ford is and has been playing follow the leader and I've commented on why that is. My interest lies in the engineering behind the performance, void of fluff. There are quite a few that want something beyond a pretty parade car that goes fast in a straight line and are interested in a track day monster. If that's the case, you are going to see a lot of influence from the ZL1 along with a big case of the unexpected.
Trying to be respectful here, but you owned a GT350, not a GT350R. In my opinion what Ford did with carbon fiber rims shows smarter design and true innovation. Compare that to the Z/28 that had carbon ceramic brakes. Yes you get weight savings and the brakes work well on track, but they are a super expensive WEAR ITEM. On the ZL1 and the ZL1 1LE Chevy just rehashed the performance car formula. They added power, aero and wide tires. And the 1LE has super sticky tires and super stiff suspension.

I call Chevy's approach "bigger hammer" engineering. Yes you can make any car fast by adding tried and true ingredients. You can take an 80s car and modify it to be really quick on track. But to make a car enjoyable and fun to drive every day on the street is difficult and it is the true goal. There's nothing exceptionally unique or innovative in the recent Camaros.

Everyone that drove a GT350R said that it was much better than the GT350. You say that my points are mainly emotion based as if that's a bad thing. Maybe for you cars are all about hard numbers and cold calculations. For me, cars are about emotion. When I drive an SUV I feel like my soul is slowly dying, for example. There's no point of buying any car unless that car makes you feel an emotion, in my opinion. Yes it's fun to pass other cars on a track day, but most of us can't afford to spend lots of time at the track. A car has to also be fun to drive on the street if it is going to be judged as one of the very best.

I think Ford's recent approach to performance has shown true innovation and invention. They have been adding features to cars that have made the cars perform very well and also made them unique and enjoyable to drive. I really don't see how they are lagging behind. I do admit that I'm very disappointed that the GT500 will have a blown V8 as IMO it is the easy way out. A smaller twin turbo V8 would have been a much better, more innovative offering. It doesn't surprise me that Chevy is still offering a blown V8 - they are just following Ford.

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Hack said:
Trying to be respectful here, but you owned a GT350, not a GT350R.
If all I had was a scooter I would have told you the same thing.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
it'll be msrp search 2.0 for the R version, unless they offer it as an optional package that isnt designated by allocations.
hmm

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Jim,

I would be shocked if they did that. My sneaky suspicion is that there will be a lot of carbon fiber in the (hypothetical) 500R and that would be the bottleneck just like it was the 350R.

Just a guess for discussion purposes.....

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
And it still wouldn't have made any sense.
You just don't get it my friend.

You're hung up on emotion and feelings. That's great. It simply has nothing to do with what I was discussing - hardware. I have neither the time nor the desire to go into depth with you in a part for part comparison between the two chassis that are at the crux of the discussion I was having. I minimized it in previous posts and your response was that you didn't care. I do. And this is why I'll be looking closely at the specific pieces that make up the new GT500 and past the shiny paint colors and pretty emblems.

Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Jim,

I would be shocked if they did that. My sneaky suspicion is that there will be a lot of carbon fiber in the (hypothetical) 500R and that would be the bottleneck just like it was the 350R.

Just a guess for discussion purposes.....
My guess as well.
Those hung up on getting the R version, be ready to fork out ADM, for the most part.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
My guess as well.
Those hung up on getting the R version, be ready to fork out ADM, for the most part.
Not me (or you).......

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
@Hack

Have you driven a Boss 302? As much as I love my 350, the Boss was the more fun and "racy" car on the street. I would give the edge in character/emotion to the Boss vs GT350. What separates the 350 from the boss, in my opinion, is the looks, and the hardware. So much so, it is in fact MUCH harder to experience the performance window of the 350 on public roads. There wasn't anything about the Boss that was cutting edge, or innovative (in comparison to GT350 (unless you want to count the trackey))...in fact, its weaknesses were mostly hardware related (brakes, trans, clutch). The GT350 fixed those weaknesses, while also adding a bit of a curve ball with the FPC. Some people want hardware, some people want emotion, and some people want any number of attributes. It's what makes every vehicle unique. Therefore, what is "perfect" or "better" will vary wildly...and varying degrees of importance of emotion/innovation/looks/sound/comfort is inevitable.

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
You just don't get it my friend.

You're hung up on emotion and feelings. That's great. It simply has nothing to do with what I was discussing - hardware. I have neither the time nor the desire to go into depth with you in a part for part comparison between the two chassis that are at the crux of the discussion I was having. I minimized it in previous posts and your response was that you didn't care. I do. And this is why I'll be looking closely at the specific pieces that make up the new GT500 and past the shiny paint colors and pretty emblems.
I think I get what you are saying, even without any specifics. I think I am refuting your statements, and you are missing my points, however.

I mentioned carbon fiber rims as specific hardware that Ford put in their top pony car but Camaro didn't and I believe it's a reason why the GT350R was often reviewed as being superior to the Camaro offerings. I realize that neither your scooter or GT350 had that specific equipment though.

Even the aluminum/steel brake rotors and the especially the FPC Voodoo engine - which you did have in your car - are specific hardware items that I believe are superior to what is offered in the Camaro. IMO the Voodoo by itself makes the Ford a superior product when compared to the engines GM is putting in their Camaros.

I choose to value a one of a kind FPC V8 engine over a data recorder, spool valve shocks or tow hooks. You seem to have different priorities, but with you choosing to deliberately misinterpret my comments and only talk about paint and chrome it's hard to be certain.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
@Hack

Have you driven a Boss 302? As much as I love my 350, the Boss was the more fun and "racy" car on the street. I would give the edge in character/emotion to the Boss vs GT350. What seperates the 350 from the boss, in my opinion, is the looks, and the hardware. So much so, it is in fact MUCH harder to experience the performance window of the 350 on public roads. There wasn't anything about the Boss that was cutting edge, or innovative (in comparison to GT350 (unless you want to count the trackey))...in fact, its weaknesses were mostly hardware related (brakes, trans, clutch). The GT350 fixed those weaknesses, while also adding a bit of a curveball with the FPC. Some people want hardware, some people want emotion, and some people want any number of attributes. It's what makes every vehicle unique. Therefore, what is "perfect" or "better" will vary wildly...and varying degrees of importance of emotion/innovation/looks/sound/comfort is inevitbile.
I have not driven a Boss. I was never interested enough to pay the premium that the local dealers wanted. The engine specs didn't thrill me at all. Basically IMO it was pretty much the same as the Coyote I had in my Mustang GT. I really like the Coyote, but the slight power gain of the Boss 302 wasn't enough to pull me in for the price. I also like the stripes, but I wouldn't want to drive a car with those stripes on it. I prefer the low profile I get with the GT350 and no stripes.

Based on what you are saying I might really love a Boss 302 if I gave it a chance. I will probably never own one though, because the GT350 is doing it for me. I also wouldn't want to buy a Boss 302 and then have to upgrade so much to use in on the track.

I agree that you can't experience the full performance of the GT350 on the street. However it's not really a good idea to try to do performance driving on the street. IMO the GT350 is fun as a daily driver - even in bumper to bumper traffic I find it quite enjoyable to drive. And when I get it on the track it's even better.
Sponsored