Sponsored

MT-82 Fluid

turbo65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Mustang GT Performance Pkg
Hello guys, I would like to know whats the best MT-82 transmission oil? I currently have RP and tbh the shifts arent the best. Notchy when cold, gets really perfect when reaches operating temps then starts to feel notchy and rough when heated. I heard there is a secret Ben Callimer secret fluid or something? Thanks!
Sponsored

Turbolag87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My18 gt
search "cocktail mix" for the mt82

slink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium,6 Speed, 401A Pkg, Kona Blue

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
Hello guys, I would like to know whats the best MT-82 transmission oil? I currently have RP and tbh the shifts arent the best. Notchy when cold, gets really perfect when reaches operating temps then starts to feel notchy and rough when heated. I heard there is a secret Ben Callimer secret fluid or something? Thanks!
I would disagree with the use of BGSyncroShiftII. I ran it for 10k miles in my MT-82 2016 PP GT. I do have a power adder, Ford Performance Power Pack 2, so the car is putting out much more mid-range torque and peak power than stock, but nothing crazy by any means. Both stock and after the Power Pack 2 my MT-82 was still fairly notchy when cold, but I could deal with that if it wasn't for the issue that continued to persist where 2nd gear simply wouldn't synchronize some times on slow shifts. It would fee like it's in gear, but then I'd go to let out the clutch and "grinddddddddd".

I'd have to pull it out of gear and put it back into get it to synchronize. I've that that issue since I got the car with both the OE fluid and the BGSyncroShiftII. The BG fluid is an improvement over stock, but it's not the most optimal solution. It's not designed for a high load RWD manual transmissions, it's designed for FWD Manual Transaxles. Two very different designs and load ranges.

I recently was contacted by another memeber running a true manual transmission gear oil made my Motul with much better resutls. I decided after some of my own research to try Ravenol MTF-2 75W-80 Manual Transmission oil that also meets both Ford and GM OE specs for DCTF fluids. I can say the difference is night any day. The BG isn't a bad fluid, but it's not the most optimal solution and it did NOT solve my 2nd gear failure to snycronize issues.

The Ravenol is far smoother and there's no longer any nibble either. Weather Motul or Ravenol, you should be good as both are true manual transmission oils intended for higher load applications unlike BG which is for FWD Manual Transaxles. Best of luck!

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

alanpv

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium
I would disagree with the use of BGSyncroShiftII. I ran it for 10k miles in my MT-82 2016 PP GT. I do have a power adder, Ford Performance Power Pack 2, so the car is putting out much more mid-range torque and peak power than stock, but nothing crazy by any means. Both stock and after the Power Pack 2 my MT-82 was still fairly notchy when cold, but I could deal with that if it wasn't for the issue that continued to persist where 2nd gear simply wouldn't synchronize some times on slow shifts. It would fee like it's in gear, but then I'd go to let out the clutch and "grinddddddddd".

I'd have to pull it out of gear and put it back into get it to synchronize. I've that that issue since I got the car with both the OE fluid and the BGSyncroShiftII. The BG fluid is an improvement over stock, but it's not the most optimal solution. It's not designed for a high load RWD manual transmissions, it's designed for FWD Manual Transaxles. Two very different designs and load ranges.

I recently was contacted by another memeber running a true manual transmission gear oil made my Motul with much better resutls. I decided after some of my own research to try Ravenol MTF-2 75W-80 Manual Transmission oil that also meets both Ford and GM OE specs for DCTF fluids. I can say the difference is night any day. The BG isn't a bad fluid, but it's not the most optimal solution and it did NOT solve my 2nd gear failure to snycronize issues.

The Ravenol is far smoother and there's no longer any nibble either. Weather Motul or Ravenol, you should be good as both are true manual transmission oils intended for higher load applications unlike BG which is for FWD Manual Transaxles. Best of luck!
I just started using the Motul Multi DCTF, didn't realize the Ravenol was another option at the time.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I've been very pleased with BG Syncroshift II. It was a dramatic improvement in smoothness for me even with the stock shifter. After the MGW went in, it's been truly awesome to shift. BG has also been approved (not just tested to) to the Ford specification as of last year. I've not tried the Ravenol, but there are many posts from those switching from RP to BG and being much happier. The Optimum Performance kit makes it really easy to DIY, too.

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
BG didnt fix my 2nd gear issues but I agree it did redice the grittyness somewhat. But Ravenol amd Motul will perform better in this application due to BG being optamized for Manual transaxles instead of rwd manual transmissions ilunder much higher loads. Having ised BG for over 10k miles through cold and hot vs. ravenol I'm now using, Ravenol performs much better as would Mogul DCTF fluid. Either one would be my recomendation but not BG.

GuardEcoBeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard 16 Ecoboost
I had Motul DCTF fluid put in monday. Honestly at first, it felt worse. Tuesday didn't even notice anything for the better or worse. Today I don't remember anything about the drive into work to say if it was better. I would have to say it has improved shifting only because I didn't notice anything bad. I'll try and pay attention on the way home and report back.

GuardEcoBeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard 16 Ecoboost
The Motul DCT fluid is a definite improvement over stock.Shifts are much smoother is every gear. I really like the way it feels with the whiteline transmission insert.

Sponsored

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
The Motul DCT fluid is a definite improvement over stock.Shifts are much smoother is every gear. I really like the way it feels with the whiteline transmission insert.
:thumbsup:
The Motul DCTF improvements plateaued after about a week or two of daily driving (300 miles per week).
This is without friction modifier.

I’ll also add I swapped Diff fluid to Motul 300 75W-90 (no friction modifier)
The Torsen straightline hookup responded well to this fluid.

Last edited:

alanpv

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium
I’ll also add I swapped Diff fluid to Motul 300 75W-90 (no friction modifier)
And the Torsen straightline hookup responded well to this fluid.
I used the LS (limited slip) version of the Motul GEAR 300 75W-90 on my diff as recommended on their site. Did you go with the regular?

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
BG Syncro Shift is not designed for FWD transaxles, it's designed for manual transmissions in general. I'm not sure where that information came from but wanted to make that clear. Ravenol is a lower viscosity fluid (they both are classified as 75W-80), lower pour point so it should help cold shifting. Ravenol also has a slightly lower density. A small percentage of MT82's do not shift well in general. It may have something to do with the factory fill not containing the syncro break in additive which after a few fluid changes it likely broken in if it didn't break. The BG MGC additive seems to help the small percentage of poor shifting transmissions, most just respond to a fluid swap with a better fluid.

Attached is the spec sheet on BG Syncro Shift II.
Sponsored

Attachments