Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
And 2 minutes later.."you gonna do something...or just stand there and bleed"

No misquote from me!!
Roger that :p! Just thought you may as well have corrected all of his quote lol ;)!

"no... I didn't think so :paddle:"
Sponsored

CaptainSensible

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black Mustang V8 GT Coupe
Have just fitted my steeda clutch spring, and am finding there is now a very small amount of play at the top of the pedal. Is this normal, or have I managed to somehow install it wrongly?

Wolvee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
I'm not sure how you could have but take a look and make sure its seated properly. The spring isn't any shorter, it's just lighter in lbs/in.

Do you have a Stock clutch? How many miles are on the car and whats your driving style? I'm wonder if there's something wrong with your pedal.

I could be wrong about the details but Ford used plastic bits for assembly and there are a few people who have had their clutch pedal break. This is also attached to the vehicle start lockout and it causes a no start condition. Inspect everything you can see just in case. The lighter Steeda spring might have made the problem noticeable so you can get it fixed before the warranty runs out. There is a TSB about it but if it's out of warranty it's a $600 fix.

CaptainSensible

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black Mustang V8 GT Coupe
There's a definite difference between a 2015 clutch spring and the 2017 spring, 2015 was awful.
Just for the record, I have just swapped BACK to the stock spring on my MY17 as didn't like the steeda spring at all. It made the clutch heavier, more vague and with a dead spot at the top where the pedal didn't return fully back to its highest position. Feels so much better now with the stock spring.

OP
OP

l30bar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Shadow Edition
great..thanks for the input....I'll stick to my stock one then :-)

Sponsored

Phenom5.0

5.2 ^^^
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech Metallic
It made the feel of the engagement much better on my 16 GT350. The stock one rebounded too strong and made for a small window of engagement, mainly torwards the top while letting it out.

The Steeda one feels better and the engagement is slightly earlier and better feeling.

In newer cars they have have improved upon the stock spring, so I can't speak on that, but on the 2016 tremec it definitely was worth the purchase .

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Many people love the change of the Steeda spring - unfortunately, you didn't get that same feeling - appreciate the feedback.

TJ

Steeda UK

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.co.uk
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
great..thanks for the input....I'll stick to my stock one then :-)
@l30bar honestly the clutch spring is a feel thing, so how someone else feels about their clutch has pretty much zero bearing on you and yours.

If you have an issue with clutch feel / clutch control then the Steeda clutch spring is a great low cost option to try and make things better. If you dont, well you dont need one anyway! 8)

smoke_wagon_6g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
I finally took at stab at the install. Got the brand new Kobalt vise grip three pack off Amazon, including a needle nose. Got a flashlight, a pad for my back, and a free hour. No go!

The damn coils are facing such a way that I can't get vise grips on the stock spring! No room for a clamp or anything in there. I really don't want to take out the pedal assembly.

It seems that the spring is in backwards, if you know what I mean. Rotated so the face with two evenly spaced coils to grip is to rear, inaccessible.

With all the horror stories of broken perches I stopped for the moment. What am I, the one unluckuy guy who can't do this in 10 minutes?

Anybody have an idea how remove the stock heavy spring when vise grips fail? I'm jammed in there, stumped, and won't just muscle it because of breaking the plastic Ford bits.

Edit, just got it:
Used 3 small zip ties placed tight on the stock spring, then depress the clutch.
Zip ties keep the spring from fully extending.
While clutch pedal is depressed the stock spring is now loose enough now to spin on the perches.
Spin it so that the stock spring presents 2 coils perfectly spaced.
A needle nose vise grips now fits on those 2 coils, and they can be compressed.
Remove the assembly.
Reassemble the parts with the new Steeda spring.
No broken perches.
Test drive tomorrow.

Last edited:

Sponsored

99Zeus99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack Whipple Stage 1 Manual
There's a definite difference between a 2015 clutch spring and the 2017 spring, 2015 was awful.
My 2018 clutch feel is fine. I was wondering what everyone was talking about with this.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
My 2018 clutch feel is fine. I was wondering what everyone was talking about with this.
I wonder the same with mine, but I've sat in a few different cars and the clutch feels different in all of them, pretty crazy.

Steeda UK

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.co.uk
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
yep the feel is literally per car and per driver....

As i said in post further up:

"If you have an issue with clutch feel / clutch control then the Steeda clutch spring is a great low cost option to try and make things better. If you dont, well you dont need one anyway! 8)"
Sponsored